Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Balboa vs. Scripps La jolla

1. Senior Member

Confused Balboa vs. Scripps La jolla

Advertisements
    hi this is my first child, and I was just wondering if anyone has delivered both at Balboa Naval and a local San Diego Hospital. With the way the TriCare Prime is here in San Diego (I guess due to military overpopulation) I have the option of staying with my civilian doctor, and it is all covered (or so they say) or I can go to Balboa Naval. I chose an OB who was a referral from a friend who is also over 35 and the doctor kinda specializes with "older" mothers

I was so sure that is what I wanted to do, but for some reason now I am having some doubts. Do any of you have any experience with both military and civilian births?
    bye for now
    W~

"Life is too short for drama & petty things, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, Love truly and forgive quickly." -unknown

[/url]
  2. Senior Member

Confused Balboa vs. Scripps La jolla

hi this is my first child, and I was just wondering if anyone has delivered both at Balboa Naval and a local San Diego Hospital. With the way the TriCare Prime is here in San Diego (I guess due to military overpopulation) I have the option of staying with my civilian doctor, and it is all covered (or so they say) or I can go to Balboa Naval. I chose an OB who was a referral from a friend who is also over 35 and the doctor kinda specializes with "older" mothers

I was so sure that is what I wanted to do, but for some reason now I am having some doubts. Do any of you have any experience with both military and civilian births?
    bye for now
    W~

"Life is too short for drama & petty things, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, Love truly and forgive quickly." -unknown

[/url]
  3. Senior Member
    I had my baby at Balboa and I would never ever go back there. The nurses were mean, they discharged her with high jaundice levels and with to much weight lose, for us to have to turn around and have her back in the hospital. They were just horrible. but that was my experience. I will never have a baby there again. So If i were you I would have a baby at a civilian hospital. You will get treated better
  4. Mmhmm.
    Mmhmm.
    i THINK I remember my manager saying that Scripps is one of the best places to give birth, you get your own room, where as at Kaiser you share a room.

Nope, it was sharp that is better. i Have no idea take tours!
    Last edited by wcchick712; 09-25-2009 at 09:30 PM.
  5. Senior Member
    a friend of mine's sister just delivered at Scripps La Jolla and they released her niece with some VERY severe health issues and have released her 2 times having seziures and they weren't even stopped.
  6. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    I hear Sharp Mary Birch is better than Scripps La Jolla, when it comes to labor and delivery.

I would suggest taking tours of all or both facilities to compare.
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    I heard bad things about Balboa. I delivered at Mary Birch and they were flippin AWESOME!!!! The nurses were SO NICE, the food was pretty decent, breastfeeding support, private room, boutique downstairs to get nursing supplies/baby stuff...it was great. My dd had jaundice and we had to stay 5 or 6 days (can't remember lol) while they treated her...they were so helpful, kind and caring. Oh and they have this neat security system where there is a tracker on the baby so if someone tries to take the babe "out of range" a LOUD alarm goes off....I'm super paranoid so I thought that was pretty cool. I highly reccomend Sharp Mary Birch!!
  8. Senior Member
    I delivered at Balboa and my friend delivered at Mary Birch. I had my midwife there and her student and they delivered me. I had an awesome delivery with them. I delivered an almost 9 lb baby and they did awesome with the birthing process and made sure I wouldn't tear. I had no problem while we stayed there. My son had complications and had to be taken for ultrasounds and testing and they did everything they could to help us out. I had a really nice older lady nurse.

My friend paid to go to Mary Birch and complained about how everything went. She ended up tearing very bad and I guess they don't discharge you with any meds, told her to make a trip to CVS to get some tylenol. Balboa they will hook you up. I got the biggest bottle of 800 mg ibuprofin, dermaplast, epifoam, tuck pads, even though i didnt need it all the nurse made sure i had everything just incase.
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Wow...I guess everyone's experience is different lol (which is why its SO HARD to choose a hospital!) I think its the luck of the draw on the nurses you get . Mary Birch gave me meds when I left as well as a prescriptions and sanitary/hygiene products.
  10. Wah Its called life idiot
    Wah Its called life idiot
    I delivered my last 2 kids at Balboa. One in 2006 and one in 2009. Both experiences were awesome. Both times I had my own delivery room and recovery room. The first time my recovery room had only one bed so T had to use the chair that turns into a bed. The second time they gave us a room with 2 beds, at first I was upset but then the nurse asked if we wanted that room so T could sleep in the other bed or did we want a smaller room. We stayed in that room. Nurses were fabulous there just like all 3 of the other hospitals I've delivered at. I have learned one thing in 5 pregnancies. Your experience is going to vary depending on how busy L&D is. With dealing with FAU and having a inversion at Balboa and a super fast delivery, the staff at Balboa have always been attentive to my needs and situations.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast