Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: advice

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Question advice

Advertisements
    Okay so I had my daughter Justus on 07/27/09, she was almost 6 weeks early, and we found out about 10 days after we brough her home that she had an allergy to the formula she was on so they changed her formula. Well she started throwing it up, andf it gets so bad that she stops breathing and it comes out her nose and her mouth. I took her to the dr and the dr said that its because her asophogus is shutting off too soon and its causing her to choke and thus stop breathing until the episode is over. So I was told that I needed to thicken her formula with rice cereal and that the only kind I can use is beechnut. So I have been doing this for a couple weeks now and it seemed like it was getting better and then a couple days ago it started happening more frequently. She has had an upper GI btest completed yesterday to see if maybe there is something wrong with her tubing in her through and stomach and everything came back normal. So now I am back at square 1, trying to figure out why she is not able to keep it down. We burp her for 30-45 minutes after she eats (yes even in the middle of the might, I dont get much sleep), she also sleep very very elevated so that she is not flat. Has anyone else ever had this issue and if you have what are some things you did to help it? I am taking her back to the PICU in a week or 2 and I am going to discuss it again because it is not getting any better but I just wanted to see if anyone on here has had these issues...

Thanks in advance!!

SJ
    Sabrina J
    *Wife to Joshua 10/10/2014
    **Mommie to Skylyn Elizabeth 06/19/03
    ***Mommie to Justus Melia 07/27/2009
    ****Mommie to Kai Anthony 08/14/2010
  2. Senior Member
    They kept my daughter in the NICU when she had feeding problems like that (she was there 5 days and I gave birth at 35 weeks). She would turn blue though at first when she ate. I would go into the doctor earlier or the ER if she can't keep anything down. She needs food and they can always do it through an NG tube. Have you tried other formulas? I would demand to see a doctor sooner, two weeks seems too long to me.
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Well she is on a special formula because she cant digest the normal ones, so she is on a special one that is very broken down for her. She doesnt have the episode all the time it is just very random, like maybe once a day or once every couple days but still its scary. I am going to address it at her next appt, but if it starts getting to the point where she is not keeping anything down then I will take her to the PICU and they will have to do something about it I just dont know what they can do about it you know. She has the feeding tube when she was in the NICU, and that was not fun at all, but if I have to go that route then I guess we will!! Thanks for your advice I appreciate it!!

SJ
    Sabrina J
    *Wife to Joshua 10/10/2014
    **Mommie to Skylyn Elizabeth 06/19/03
    ***Mommie to Justus Melia 07/27/2009
    ****Mommie to Kai Anthony 08/14/2010
  4. Junior Member
    Be very careful while dealing with all of this. My daughter's doctor wouldnt listen to me until my mother came with me to an appointment and spoke with the doctor. We were driving home from the doctor's when my daughter had another episode and we wound up having to call 911 because she didnt start breathing again. Be persistent is my advice. I let the dr let me think I was over reacting so I didnt push the issue. We still arent sure what the problem was 100% but she needed a different formula, theory was she was having an allergic reaction to it.

Anyway, you know better than anyone else if something is wrong or off about your baby. Push the issue until its resolved.
  5. Senior Member
    Is she on an apnea monitor so her episodes can be followed and documented? I would call her ped or take her back to the hospital. Two weeks is much to long to wait for feeding issues. I know it can get very hard to always be at the dr/hospital but it really sounds like she needs to go back.

Feeding and breathing issues are very common in premmies, but they need to be addressed quickly.

Was she doing the same thing in the hospital (NICU)?
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    My Kat Kat had episodes of obstructional apnea because of her reflux and formula issues. While it seems like it will never end, once she's sitting up more, the reflux tends to self correct. Ever since Kat went from laying down to crawling, she hasn't had any issues with throwing up like that. It will get easier over time.