Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Relactation?

1. *Too Blessed To Be Stressed*
    *Too Blessed To Be Stressed*

Question Relactation?

Advertisements
    Is there hope?
    I was/still am so bummed that we were not successful with breastfeeding. I was exclusively pumping the first couple weeks due to him not wanting to latch and not having any help. When he was 3 weeks he was hospitalized for 3 days. I talked to a lactation consultant while we were there and she tried to show me different holds and to get him to latch on correctly since my boobs were full of knots and I couldn't hardly touch them. He never would latch without causing me horrific pain and I couldn't make him latch the way she showed me. I don't know if that had to do with the fact he is tounge tied(still is... his dr said he would give us a referal to get it fixed at his 4mths appt) or what but we could not get the latch comfortably. The only way he would latch was straight on not taking enough boob so it felt like he was ripping me in half and it caused me to have blocked ducts. Anyways, he wouldn't latch and I had no pump with me (didn't think to ask for one ) and by the time the 3 days were up I was in so much pain I could not lift my arms. After pumping when I got home, my supply went to nothing. I couldn't pump more than 1/2 an ounce and so I finally stopped trying at 5 weeks since I would pump for 15-30 mins and get 1 ounce between both breasts. I never pumped very much anyways like 2 ounces per breast a few times a day if I was lucky which was never enough for him.
    So, with all that ramblings... Here I am 6 weeks later and feel so let down. I want to try again, but don't want the excrutiating pain, swollen breasts, and blocked ducts due to his horrible latch. I looked up the La Lache League but there isn't one around here. Yay for living in BFE. I don't know if it is worth trying now that he is 11 weeks old. He eats A LOT and I don't want him to lose weight or be hungry because I feel like a failure. Maybe I should just say better luck next time, but I feel so torn.
    Any advice??
  2. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    Had you tried using nipple shields to correct his latch?!
  3. *Too Blessed To Be Stressed*
    I bought one, but the lactation consultant said they can hinder more than help. Something like they don't get as great of a latch and don't drain the breast. I have a feeling it all stems from his tounge tied isse. His ped refused to clip it when he pointed it out. He told me it would not affect me breastfeeding. Come to find out through research online it is a huge reason for failed breastfeeding. At his 2mth appt I asked him again to look at it and he said it was still there (like it goes away? ) and he didn't recommend clipping unless it interferes with speech and eating, but if I really wanted it he would refer me out at his next appt. My thing is, why wait till he has a problem? I mean, it could very well not be that at all and just be he was newborn and we both needed more help than a 10 min session with the spazzy lactation consultant(what a fruitcake)
  4. *Too Blessed To Be Stressed*
    If I wanted to try again, how would I go about that? I know you have to put him to the breast A LOT, but how can I do that and not starve the poor baby? Tubbers likes to eat. LOL
  5. Senior Member
    not sure but we use a sheild cause its the only way dd could latch and i figured better to use it then not breastfeed her at all..so if you retry maybe try with it this time
  6. Senior Member
    I think relactation is definitely possible, Cori!
    Here is a link to /kellymom that has lots of info on relactation.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/adopt/index.html
  7. Regular Member
    You can absolutely get your production going again. Additionally you can certainly increase production once it's started up again.

Have you gone to Kellymom.com?

I know my wife was able to get a lot of fantastic information from there.

this link might be of help to you..

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/adopt/index.html

edit: I didn't even see the post above mine..
  8. Senior Member
    Check with LLL.
  9. Senior Member
    I don't have and ideas for you, but I just wanted to say how happy I am for you that you got to have another baby. PTL!
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Molly was slightly tongue tied. Not enough to make her unable to latch (although her latch wasn't perfect at first) but she was just enough. When Andrew got home, he started playing this game where he would blow in her face then stick out his tongue at her. I have no idea why he started doing that but she loved it and tried to copy him. Now she can stick her tongue out CRAZY far. No more issues.

I don't know if it works for a fully tongue tied baby, but maybe you could start teaching him to stick out his tongue. If you can get yourself to start lactating again and all that, it might help a lot.. and if you can do it before something like cutting the bottom thingy on the tongue, then you've just saved a little procedure

As for actually getting to re lactate, I have no advice. All I know is that you have to spend a lot of time at the breast... perhaps you could also do that WITH a pump. I don't know how it works, but in my head I have this idea of putting him to the booby for like 10 minutes when he is starting to get hungry so that he keeps sucking and then feeding him and pumping for a bit. Like I said, I don't know if that would work or anything...

Good luck though I hope you can figure something out!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast