Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Starting solids

1. Senior Member

Question Starting solids

Advertisements
    Im completely overthinking this in case you cant tell.

The past 2 nights Ive nursed him, then made a tablespoon of rice cereal, and hes eaten about half of it. So whats next? How long do I keep him on rice cereal? When do I introduce a fruit or a veggie? When can I give him food twice a day?

I need a step by step of this.
    Im pretty sure I keep giving him the tablespoon of rice cereal for a couple weeks, then add a veggie or a fruit with the cereal, then by about 6 or 7 months have him eat solids twice a day?
  2. Gained a child but lost my sanity!
    Gained a child but lost my sanity!
    Keep him on one ingredient foods for the first month or so, try a different one every 3 to 4 days to see if it disagrees with him. After that you can start mixing them. Changing to twice a day or three times a day meals is really going to be dependent on his cues.
  3. Many of the things that can never be, often are.
    Many of the things that can never be, often are.
    Well with mine it's a little diff b/c he's been on cereal since 2 1/2 months b/c of his spit ups. but when we started solids we stuck with one fruit or one veggies for at least 3 days before moving onto another. Applesauce is a good starter- classic Lol. But keeping them on just one food for a few days will let you know if he's going to have bad reactions to that particular food (Whereas if you gave him like applesauce and peaches at the same time you wouldn't know which caused the bad reaction... kwim?) then you can move onto another... Since you are just starting solids I'd keep to the rice for a wee and then let him taste some applesauce for a few days. We let Ashton have a jar a day and we've been doing it for about two weeks and he already wants more

"So, after tech school are they going to deport you?"
    "...*silence*... No babe... they aren't going to deport me..."
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    "Watch the baby, don't watch the calendar."

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/readyforsolids.htm
  5. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    Quote Originally Posted by xocassandralee View Post
    Im completely overthinking this in case you cant tell.

The past 2 nights Ive nursed him, then made a tablespoon of rice cereal, and hes eaten about half of it. So whats next? How long do I keep him on rice cereal? When do I introduce a fruit or a veggie? When can I give him food twice a day?

I need a step by step of this.
    Im pretty sure I keep giving him the tablespoon of rice cereal for a couple weeks, then add a veggie or a fruit with the cereal, then by about 6 or 7 months have him eat solids twice a day?
    Have you consulted with your child's ped yet?! I thought the recommended age to begin solids was 6 months now?!?
  6. Senior Member
    When DS was on the bottle I added the cereal to the bottle. I would put a few table spoons in the bottle with a fast nipple so it wouldn't clog and did that for a long while before I started him with fruits and stuff. Once we started with the other stuff you either start with fruits and work your way through or veggies and do the same and once you get through those then you can go back and forth with them. Really you need to follow your instinct as a mother. That'll give you the best idea of what you need to do.
  7. Hooked on the sauce
    Hooked on the sauce
    What rizzle said...pay attention to Carter! If I listened to the ped, my kid would be skin and bones and starving. I had one suggest that I "hold out" on feeding him every 3 hours and spanning it longer. I told her that she can come to my house and deal with a teary-eyed, screaming bloody murder because he's hungry, baby.

Wesson had limited amounts of rice because it made him constipated.

I bought the Gerber 1st foods and so far he's had green beans, sweet potatoes, and peaches. I give it to him for dinner (he only eats about 1/3 of the container) and I refrigerate the rest until the next day. As he gets better with the baby food, I'm going to add it to breakfast too.

He normally eats a little baby food and then finishes off with a bottle and that puts him down for the night. :jumpy4joy

Also, I am staying away from applesauce and bananas until he gets a tad older...I heard it makes them constipated?
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
    Have you consulted with your child's ped yet?! I thought the recommended age to begin solids was 6 months now?!?
    Yep, I was dead set on making it to 6 months too. But for about 3 weeks now hed eat anywhere from 10 to 16 times a day 20/25 minutes plus each time. The pedi said he sounded ready. I'm going to keep solids minimal for as long as possible
  9. Senior Member
    Bella eats food three times a day now. We started with cereal but she hated it so we started adding puree's to it. Now she has banana cereal in the morning, a fruit for lunch and a fruit for dinner. We started her at 4 months because she was eating 8 oz bottles every 3 hours and acting hungry still. We okay'd it with her doctor over the phone.
  10. deployment #2: 1 month down!
    deployment #2: 1 month down!
    well I started Matt on solids at 5 months. He was on just cereal for about 2 weeks then I started giving him stage 1 baby foods. Watch him though when you add another solid feeding. If it causes him to drop too much in how much BM he's getting then you might want to drop back down to one solid. A week or two later I dropped the cereal and gave him a fruit in the morning and a veggie at dinner. I bumped him up to stage 2 baby food at about 7 months. Last week at the doctor, so 8 months, his ped recommended going to 3 solids a day since he's still eating quite a bit of formula. At this point he gets a fruit or breakfast baby food in the morning; cooked pasta, grilled cheese, cooked veggies or fruit for lunch; veggie or meal baby food for dinner.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast