Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6 week postpartum check up, normal or not?

1. Senior Member

Question 6 week postpartum check up, normal or not?

Advertisements
    I had my OB appointment this morning and the doctor didn't do a papsmear or even check where they had to stitch me up from being cut. Is that normal? I had a papsmear done in November and I was told that Tricare only covers one papsmear every 12 months and since I had one in November, that I wouldn't be getting another one until November of this year, which is fine. I am just wondering why the doctor didn't check to make sure I healed okay. Is that normal or no? And if not, what should I do?

2. I love my life!
    I love my life!
    I got checked when I had my apt.. But I also had a civilian Dr for my pregnancy.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ladygirl_86 View Post
    I got checked when I had my apt.. But I also had a civilian Dr for my pregnancy.
    I had a civilian doctor too. I had a referral to go see him.

4. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

They don't do a pap at the 6 week but they usually check the stitches. Did they ask you about the stitches? Tricare is also changing the pap thing.. if you have a clear pap it's every 2 years.
  5. Senior Member
    I haven't had a pap done, but if I had stitches they always checked.
  6. Senior Member
    It's been a few years since I had my last baby, so I checked online for you....

What to expect during your postpartum checkup

At your postpartum checkup, your caregiver will:

• Check your weight and blood pressure.

• Check your abdomen and breasts. She'll feel your belly to be sure that there's no tenderness and check your breasts for lumps and abnormal nipple discharge. If you're breastfeeding, she'll make sure you don't have any clogged ducts or the beginnings of a breast infection.

• Inspect your perineum and do a speculum and internal exam. During the speculum exam she'll check to make sure any bruises, scratches, or tears to your cervix or vagina are healing properly and she may do a Pap smear. During the internal exam she'll feel your uterus and ovaries, and check your vaginal muscle tone. She may do a rectal exam as well.

• Probably give you the green light to start having sex again. But don't worry if you don't feel up to it yet. Many new moms don't feel like having sex for several months (or more!) after having a baby. Your caregiver will talk to you about birth control options during this visit, too. Remember: You can get pregnant even if you're breastfeeding and your period hasn't returned.

• Talk over any concerns. You might also have some questions about what exactly happened during delivery and why. Even if your caregiver explained to you what was happening at the time, you may not remember everything that was said. Don't be shy. Ask again now that you're able to listen to and think about the information.

• Ask how you're feeling. Make sure to use this visit to talk about any emotional problems you may be having, too. It's normal to have occasional mood swings at this point, but if you think you're suffering from postpartum depression, ask for a referral to a therapist.

• Order lab tests (if necessary), and let you know when you should return for routine care, including any follow-up for your chosen contraceptive method
  7. Formerly known as stapletonlove
    Formerly known as stapletonlove
    DD is about to be 10 weeks and I STILL havent had my 6 week appointment. They were booked until the 24 and I made the appointment a week after i got home from the hospital

8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Caimbrie View Post
    They don't do a pap at the 6 week but they usually check the stitches. Did they ask you about the stitches? Tricare is also changing the pap thing.. if you have a clear pap it's every 2 years.
    The only person who asked me about the stitches was the nurse and she just asked if I had the epi---I can't spell it. The doctor didn't say one word about it.

Quote Originally Posted by amazinggrace View Post
    It's been a few years since I had my last baby, so I checked online for you....

What to expect during your postpartum checkup

At your postpartum checkup, your caregiver will:

Check your weight and blood pressure.

Check your abdomen and breasts. She'll feel your belly to be sure that there's no tenderness and check your breasts for lumps and abnormal nipple discharge. If you're breastfeeding, she'll make sure you don't have any clogged ducts or the beginnings of a breast infection.

Inspect your perineum and do a speculum and internal exam. During the speculum exam she'll check to make sure any bruises, scratches, or tears to your cervix or vagina are healing properly and she may do a Pap smear. During the internal exam she'll feel your uterus and ovaries, and check your vaginal muscle tone. She may do a rectal exam as well.

Probably give you the green light to start having sex again. But don't worry if you don't feel up to it yet. Many new moms don't feel like having sex for several months (or more!) after having a baby. Your caregiver will talk to you about birth control options during this visit, too. Remember: You can get pregnant even if you're breastfeeding and your period hasn't returned.

Talk over any concerns. You might also have some questions about what exactly happened during delivery and why. Even if your caregiver explained to you what was happening at the time, you may not remember everything that was said. Don't be shy. Ask again now that you're able to listen to and think about the information.

Ask how you're feeling. Make sure to use this visit to talk about any emotional problems you may be having, too. It's normal to have occasional mood swings at this point, but if you think you're suffering from postpartum depression, ask for a referral to a therapist.

Order lab tests (if necessary), and let you know when you should return for routine care, including any follow-up for your chosen contraceptive method
    The only thing they did was my blood pressure, weight, and ask me how I was feeling as far as postpartum depression. The nurse asked a bunch of questions about labor and delivery and asked if I had any trouble/issues since then and I said no.

I think I want to call the doctor's office and find out why they didn't check the stitches because it kinda bothers me now that I think about it.

9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by *mcstapleton* View Post
    DD is about to be 10 weeks and I STILL havent had my 6 week appointment. They were booked until the 24 and I made the appointment a week after i got home from the hospital
    Wow! I just want to know that everything healed properly. I just assumed it was routine to check the stitches when you went to your appointment or at least it seems like it would be.

10. Senior Member
    I would call and see why as well. That would bug the hell outta me too!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast