Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breastfeeding Question!

1. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

Breastfeeding Question!

Advertisements
    Is the clearish whitish liquid i have my milk? It is more whitish now I think than the clear stuff I had while pregnant etc. So is this considered my milk?
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries

The really thick stuff that you have the first few days is the colostrum, then it turns to a clearish white which is your foremilk, and behind that (if you empty your breast on one side) will be your hindmilk (the good stuff packed with calories and what makes baby feel full and tired ).
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    This is THE best site ever for BFing. You can find any answer on there. Seriously.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fo...-hindmilk.html

I'm confused about foremilk and hindmilk - how does this work?

By Kelly Bonyata, BS, IBCLC
    Foremilk is the milk (typically lower in fat) available at the beginning of a feeding; hindmilk is milk at the end of a feeding, which has a higher fat content than the foremilk at that feeding. There is no sharp distinction between foremilk and hindmilk – the change is very gradual. Research from Peter Hartmann's group tells us that fat content of the milk is primarily determined by the emptiness of the breast -- the less milk in the breast, the higher the fat content.
    A woman's breast really only makes one type of milk, the higher-fat milk that we typically think of as hindmilk. As milk is produced in the breast, the fat globules in the milk tend to stick to each other and to the walls of the alveoli (where the milk is made). Between feedings, milk collects in mom's breasts and gradually moves out toward the nipple, leaving more and more of the fat "stuck" further back in the milk ducts. The more time between feedings, the lower the fat content of the foremilk available to baby at the beginning of the feeding.
    Once the let-down (or Milk Ejection Reflex/MER) is triggered (by baby's nursing, pumping, etc.), the milk is squeezed down the ducts until it becomes accessible to the baby. Milk production is not faster during letdown - the flow is simply faster. There are several let-downs per feed, although most mothers only sense the first one.
    As the breast starts to empty, the fat globules begin to dislodge and move down the ducts (let-down facilitates this process). So the further into the feed, the higher the fat content of the milk, as more and more fat globules are forced out. The end result is that the milk gradually increases in fat as the feeding progresses.
    Your breasts don't "flip a switch" at some arbitrary point and start producing hindmilk instead of foremilk. Instead, think of the beginning of a nursing session as being like turning on a hot water faucet.

The first water you get out of the tap isn't usually hot, but cold. As the water runs, it gradually gets warmer and warmer and warmer. This is what happens with the fat content in mom's milk - moms's milk gradually increases in fat content until the end of the feeding.
    Since fat content is is directly related to the degree of emptiness of the breast, it is possible, depending upon nursing pattern, for fat content to be higher at the beginning of a particular feeding than it is at the end of some other feeding.
    Now think about the hot water faucet again. If there is a long period of time before the faucet is used again, then you go through the "cold to hot" process once more, but if you turn the water on fairly soon after it was used then the water is either pretty warm or still hot, depending upon how long it's been since the faucet was last on.

This is how it works with mother's milk too - the longer the time between feedings, the lower the fat content at the beginning of the next feeding. If feedings are closer together, you're starting off with a higher fat content.

As a particular feeding progresses, fat content increases, milk volume and flow decrease, and milk synthesis speeds up. Because every baby varies in the amount of time it takes him to receive his fill of the higher-fat milk at the end of the feeding, it is important not to switch breasts while baby is actively nursing.

Return to Frequently Asked Questions about Milk Production
    Return to How does milk production work?
  4. Senior Member
    What she said.
    Needs work.
  5. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

how do i know if she is nursing long enough to get the hind milk?
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    I don't think it's of HUGE importance whether she is getting a ton of it or not (b/c as the article says, there isn't any real magical point where hindmilk all of a sudden turns on or off), but there are some signs.
    The first thing I noticed when they were drinking a lot of foremilk is the GREEN versus yellow poop. If the poop is really greenish, rather than mustard yellow, it's usually due to them not getting as much hindmilk.
    Secondly, pop her off and give your nip a squeeze and you can usually tell if it's super watery or a thicker milky color).
    Third, I'd just nurse on one side for each feeding, that way you have less guesswork to do. If she nurses on the one side, she's almost certainly getting hindmilk
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by airmanssweetie View Post
    how do i know if she is nursing long enough to get the hind milk?
    I know when Carter gets too much foremilk because he has green poop. Try nursing on one breast per session.
  8. You Can't Hear The Music Until You Dance
    You Can't Hear The Music Until You Dance
    But don't forget to pump the other side if you nurse one side per feeding!!
    (It helps keep you feeling "even" - and helps build up your supply in the freezer, which is ALWAYS a good thing!!)
  9. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandily View Post
    I don't think it's of HUGE importance whether she is getting a ton of it or not (b/c as the article says, there isn't any real magical point where hindmilk all of a sudden turns on or off), but there are some signs.
    The first thing I noticed when they were drinking a lot of foremilk is the GREEN versus yellow poop. If the poop is really greenish, rather than mustard yellow, it's usually due to them not getting as much hindmilk.
    Secondly, pop her off and give your nip a squeeze and you can usually tell if it's super watery or a thicker milky color).
    Third, I'd just nurse on one side for each feeding, that way you have less guesswork to do. If she nurses on the one side, she's almost certainly getting hindmilk

Oh cool! She is usually nursing on one side and i just nurse on the opposite the next feeding! Her poo is def yellow looking like the books say so good! I must be doing good at this bf thing

Quote Originally Posted by ezramedic View Post
    But don't forget to pump the other side if you nurse one side per feeding!!
    (It helps keep you feeling "even" - and helps build up your supply in the freezer, which is ALWAYS a good thing!!)

I havent even attempted pumping yet!
  10. I'm lucky I'm in love with my best friend.
    I'm lucky I'm in love with my best friend.
    The issue with only nursing on one side right now is that since your milk is trying to even out, you could get engorged on the other side before the next feeding. You could either pump that side if you are trying to get a stash in the freezer (always a good idea) or let it be. Your boobs might look lopsided and get engorged between feedings, but it does eventually even itself out, normally around 6 weeks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast