Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeding help UPDATED

1. Senior Member

Help Feeding help UPDATED

Advertisements
    Ok, I need help.
    Georgia is on the bottle now because the breast feeding didn't work out. I already feel like I've let her down because of that.
    Anyway she's on Enfamil Lipil and seems to be doing fairly well with the formula, when I can get her to eat that is.
    She'll eat anywhere from one to four ounces every 2-5 hours. There is no consistency. I was making 3 oz bottles and trying to feed about every three hours (but no more than four) but the doc said to up it to 4 oz because she's still not at her birth weight. (7lbs 12oz when born, 7lbs 2oz when discharged, 7lbs 4oz at 4 day appointment, and 7lbs 7oz at 2 week appointment).

Sometimes she will guzzle a bottle so fast that she chokes herself and other times she'll suck for almost an hour and get nothing. I take the bottle out periodically to burp her (which she does occassionally) and sometimes this helps.

Georgia has plenty of wet and poopy diapers which I know are indicators of her getting enough to eat but I want her to gain more weight and eat more consistently. We have another doctors appointment next week just to check her weight gain.

TIA for any words of advice and/or encouragement.

Update
    Well Georgia has been eating a lot more, except in the middle of the night. The doctor said to stop waking her up; she'll let me know when she's hungry. She weighed in at a whopping 8lbs 2oz today. Yay!!! I'm so happy for my healthy little baby.
    Last edited by CristinaFaye; 07-09-2009 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Update

2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    If the baby is eating and having wet diapers...don't worry about it. She will only gain what she is suppose to gain. She is due to a growth spurt soon. Just wait until that happens.

Just see what she is at her next aptment and relax momma.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  3. Senior Member
    This is probably a stupid question but are you sure youre using the same flow of nipples? Sometimes I forget to check and give Carter a faster flowing nipple and hell choke on it.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DakotaCowgirl View Post
    If the baby is eating and having wet diapers...don't worry about it. She will only gain what she is suppose to gain. She is due to a growth spurt soon. Just wait until that happens.

Thank you. Since I posted this earlier she's been eating 3oz every two hours so maybe this is her first growth spurt.

Quote Originally Posted by xocassandralee View Post
    This is probably a stupid question but are you sure youre using the same flow of nipples? Sometimes I forget to check and give Carter a faster flowing nipple and hell choke on it.
    Yep, same bottles and flow of nipples. I wanted as little variables as possible. I'm using the slow flow now.

5. Miss Puerto Rico
    Miss Puerto Rico
    My baby got back to his birth weigh on his 3rd week. If she is having enough wet and dirty diapers I would keep doing what you are doing.
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I cant offer any advice, but I know what you're going through. I tried breastfeeding Alec but I wasnt producing enough, so now I pump maybe 2 ozs a day and then the rest of the time we feed him formula. And he is doing the exact same things with his bottle feedings, not consistent and sometimes he seems to try and drink it all very fast or not at all. The only thing I can think of with the sucking and not eating is the comfort sucking reflex that most babies have, your little girl might just be needing something to suck on, but not necessarily to eat

7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaky View Post
    My baby got back to his birth weigh on his 3rd week. If she is having enough wet and dirty diapers I would keep doing what you are doing.
    Thank you! Her appointment is on Thursday so I hope she's fattened up by then.

Quote Originally Posted by brianswifey View Post
    I cant offer any advice, but I know what you're going through. I tried breastfeeding Alec but I wasnt producing enough, so now I pump maybe 2 ozs a day and then the rest of the time we feed him formula. And he is doing the exact same things with his bottle feedings, not consistent and sometimes he seems to try and drink it all very fast or not at all. The only thing I can think of with the sucking and not eating is the comfort sucking reflex that most babies have, your little girl might just be needing something to suck on, but not necessarily to eat
    Ya, she is definitely a sucky baby. I give her a pacifier too (another thing I hadn't planned on lol) but she still hasn't mastered keeping it in her mouth.

8. Senior Member
    She sounds like a grazer. Mine is the exact same way.

Sometimes, she'll eat 1/2 oz, other times, she'll eat 4 oz, and she usually eats at least 20 ozs in a 24 hour time frame. That's what I have to tell the doctor when she goes... she never eats the same amount and/or on a timely schedule.

Bebe is 3 mo. old now and has gained a ton of weight (almost 7 lbs since birth) on her "grazing" diet, so just keep doing what you're doing and you're doing great.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GuamALlama View Post
    She sounds like a grazer. Mine is the exact same way.

Sometimes, she'll eat 1/2 oz, other times, she'll eat 4 oz, and she usually eats at least 20 ozs in a 24 hour time frame. That's what I have to tell the doctor when she goes... she never eats the same amount and/or on a timely schedule.

Bebe is 3 mo. old now and has gained a ton of weight (almost 7 lbs since birth) on her "grazing" diet, so just keep doing what you're doing and you're doing great.

Thank you! I just want a healthy baby but don't want to force food on her, you know? I guess my little grazer is already calling the shots. uh oh!

10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DakotaCowgirl View Post

Agree.
    Baby's know when they're hungry and when they're not and will follow those cues (so long as you let her and watch for her feeding cues). You don't want to mess with that wonderful balance we're built with.
    Good luck!
    Remember OPSEC Please!!
    Don't post dates and sensitive information.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast