Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Hand facination

1. Damn it feels good to be a gangsta
    Damn it feels good to be a gangsta

Help Hand facination

Advertisements
    I've read in a lot of places that babies around 3 months have a facination with their hands and moving their fingers and so forth. I know all babies are different and that they develop at different rates, but I don't think i've ever seen Dawson even aknowledge his hands. When he plays on his jungle mat he bats around at the toys but I don't think he has too much hand-eye coordination and he's just lucky if he happens to snag one of them. That is the extent of hand useage.

Is this weird? He hasn't even really unclenched his fists much unless he is on the jungle mat or he's sleeping. Other then that he still has them balled up tight.

Is that unusual? TIA.

2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Muffin has been having a love affair with her hands for forever. She loves to suck on them and wave them around. She's so darn cute doing it
  3. Junior Member
    It sounds really weird... but with Nathanial it was like one day he didn't know what they were, really that they even existed and the next they were best friends. He's also figured out that his food tastes better with his hands.

(I'm not trying to say you aren't interacting with your son but...) Are you getting on the floor and putting toys infront of him? I would hold toys or his pacis infront of his face and close enough that if he were to reach out (even accidentally) he could touch them. And when he did touch the object I would make a huge deal about it and I sometimes made him touch it and told him he was touching the object with his hand. Nathanial is almost 5 months and just found his feet.

But all babies do develop at different rates and times. I'm sure everything is normal!

4. Damn it feels good to be a gangsta
    Damn it feels good to be a gangsta
    Quote Originally Posted by Peaches0216 View Post
    It sounds really weird... but with Nathanial it was like one day he didn't know what they were, really that they even existed and the next they were best friends. He's also figured out that his food tastes better with his hands.

(I'm not trying to say you aren't interacting with your son but...) Are you getting on the floor and putting toys infront of him? I would hold toys or his pacis infront of his face and close enough that if he were to reach out (even accidentally) he could touch them. And when he did touch the object I would make a huge deal about it and I sometimes made him touch it and told him he was touching the object with his hand. Nathanial is almost 5 months and just found his feet.

But all babies do develop at different rates and times. I'm sure everything is normal!

Most definitely! I get down on the floor with him and he does grab at things. That isn't a problem. he just isn't the kind of kid that plays just with his hands. He has to be grabbing at something. You know?

He does suck on his hands occasionally, especially before falling asleep if he lost his paci.

5. Senior Member
    I didn't think that Bebe would ever find her hands... and now, she's like in love with them. She grabs onto her towel, her blanket, sometimes she'll get "lucky" and get something on her play mat.

For realz though, Dawson is going to wake up one day here soon and totally grab/hold onto/put hands into mouth 24/7. That's how Bebe did it. Went to bed one night, she didn't know what they were, woke up the next morning, and she was all over them.
  6. Senior Member
    I remember when Lee discovered his hands... it was hilarious. He would hold them a few inches from his face and just stare at them in awe... he would turn them all around and stare at every angle, lol. I can't remember how old he was... I'd have to look in his baby book.

John Duncan has discovered them as far as sucking on them and batting at things goes, but he doesn't have quite the same love affair going on that Lee did.