Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: He doesnt like to eat

Confused He doesnt like to eat

Advertisements
    Cameron is now 3 months old, and he just doesn't like to eat!!

He very rarely finishes a whole bottle(4oz), the only time he does is if he hasn't eaten in a long time, like 4 hours or so. He'll eat like 2 oz then in like a half hour eat a little more.

We took him to the doc like a week ago and he had gained like a pound in 2 weeks, which is good, but I just want him to eat!!!

He uses his bottle more as a soothing device I think, rather than a meal. Ive tried a pacifier... he HATES it, always has, but if i give him a bottle... instantly soothed. He will suck but wont really drink.

Im not sure what im asking for, lol. But has this happened to anyone else? It's like he could care less if he eats or not? I dont get it. Any advice would be great!!!!

2. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

Babies will eat as much as they want. If he is gaining weight and the dr isn't concerned, I am sure he is fine. At 3 mths he can be on 3-4 hr feeds, so if you feel more confortable waiting a little longer so you know he will eat more, then do that.

3. Senior Member
    My newborn does the same thing and it freaks me out. We have her two weeks appointment this week so I'll get any advice I can from the doctor.

4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Don't push the eating. They will eat when they are hungry. If he is using it as a soothing, get him a paci in his mouth instead.

As long as he is eating and gaining weight, your stressing more then you need to be.

"Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
    Quote Originally Posted by DakotaCowgirl View Post
    Don't push the eating. They will eat when they are hungry. If he is using it as a soothing, get him a paci in his mouth instead.

As long as he is eating and gaining weight, your stressing more then you need to be.

He HATES a pacifier. He will not take it, no matter what!! But like you all said, I guess as long as hes gaining, hes fine.

Thank you for your replies!

6. Senior Member
    Bebe has done this from day 1. She's a grazer.

She 's to fall asleep with the bottle in her mouth. She'll take a pacifier though. Depends on her mood.

Very rarely does she even attempt to eat a full 4 ozs. Typically eats 2/3 ozs. a feeding.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GuamALlama View Post
    Bebe has done this from day 1. She's a grazer.

She 's to fall asleep with the bottle in her mouth. She'll take a pacifier though. Depends on her mood.

Very rarely does she even attempt to eat a full 4 ozs. Typically eats 2/3 ozs. a feeding.
    Carters a grazer too. Hell eat for a few minutes here and there.
    Im glad im not alone!!

I always here people talk about their newborns eating 6-8oz and it just scares me a little that Cameron is no where near that!

But I know all babies are the same. Hopefully when he starts eating solids he will enjoy to eat more.

And I can't really blame him for not wanting to eat... formula is nasty!!!

Thanks again!

9. Loving Life!
    Loving Life!
    Blog Entries
    Caleb is the same way sometimes... He's 5 months old and sometimes he sucks down 6 oz in 5 minutes - sometimes it takes him 20... sometimes he only drinks 3 oz. I'm not worried because he's gaining weight.

My little Loves!
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    as long as your baby is still gaining weight and has plenty of wet diapers, there really isn't much to be concerned about... unless of course something else is going on as well.

I doubt your baby is starving himself.

Also, Molly is breastfed so I had NO IDEA how much she drank til my grandma came to town and babysat her for a night so andrew and I could finally have some us time. Turns out... from about 5pm to 1am she only drank 4oz. and that was TWO feedings.

Their tummies are tiny.