Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When to feed solid foods?

1. Gained a child but lost my sanity!
    Gained a child but lost my sanity!

Question When to feed solid foods?

Advertisements
    I know that a lot of recommendations say to wait till 6 months but I started DS on solids already or he was going to start taking them out of my mouth . Right now I am just feeding him at night- 2TBS of cereal (mixed with BM) and 2TBS of another fruit or veggie. But he seems so interested in my food I am wondering if I should be giving him some solids at other times of the day.

What have you found to be best for your little ones? TIA!
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Trial and error. Ethan was ready at 4 months. Ash not until closer to 6 months.

The biggest thing is to make sure you only feed 1 food for a few days to rule out any reaction. Then go on. They normally say to start with veggies, then go to fruits, then to meats and such.

Also remember that solid foods before 1 year old is kinda practice and a filler in essence. You want to make sure their full source of nutrition is BM or formula. And then the solids are added in as an extra. So if the amunt he drinks starts getting less and less hen back off the solids a teeny bit.

G'luck!
  3. Formerly known as coloradokitkat
    Formerly known as coloradokitkat
    Aubriana wasn't ready for solids until she was almost 7 months. We tried giving her cereal and baby food but she would have none of it. When she finaly would we started with the green veggies. Then orange ones. Then others. Then fruits. Now we're on fruits and veggies. I haven't given her any meats yet.

Since she has teeth I give her cheerios, gold fish, and graduates puffs through out the day. She really enjoys those little snacks. But I don't feed her actual baby food until dinner and I give her some baby oatmeal (with a little honey) in the morning. Otherwise, it's mainly formula. I also give her a baby multi-vitamin liquid once a day because her Dr. said I should. But like I said, at first it was baby food like once a day, little containers. Then it was big containers of baby food once a day. And now it's snacks, baby food, baby oatmeal and formula. She still drinks just as much formula as she did before though
  4. deployment #2: 1 month down!
    deployment #2: 1 month down!
    I started Matt on cereal at 4 1/2 months and baby food at 6 months. When we started it was 2 tbsp of cereal. Then I added a full container of baby food. Once he got used to that (about 5 1/2 months) I started giving him a full container of fruit in the morning, 2 tbsp cereal mixed with fruit in the afternoon, and a container of veggies at night.
  5. Loving Life!
    Loving Life!
    Blog Entries
    Caleb LOVES to eat food. We started him right before 4 months because he wasn't satisfied with just the formula. He kept wanting what we were eating, so we started him on oatmeal and rice, then moved to fruits and veggies. He usually has 2 small meals along with his normal amount of bottles during the day.

My little Loves!
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    How did y'all know your little one was ready to start adding solids/cereal/etc? Muffin drools a TON and my old pediatrician said that saliva is produced to digest food, and I've heard that sometimes when they're nursing a lot and growing like she is and drooling this much adding cereal to milk at night before they go to bed can help them sleep better? So, how did you (general) know?
  7. Gained a child but lost my sanity!
    Gained a child but lost my sanity!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornbread View Post
    How did y'all know your little one was ready to start adding solids/cereal/etc? Muffin drools a TON and my old pediatrician said that saliva is produced to digest food, and I've heard that sometimes when they're nursing a lot and growing like she is and drooling this much adding cereal to milk at night before they go to bed can help them sleep better? So, how did you (general) know?
    There are a lot of different things that are supposed to be signs that they are ready. I started DS on them because he was avidly watching me eat, grabbing for my food etc. He would literally watch my food as it moved from my plate to my mouth. This was a good resource for me- http://www.babycenter.com/0_introduc...d-foods_113.bc
  8. IYAOYAS
    IYAOYAS
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornbread View Post
    I started at about 4 months with both of mine. Once or twice a day I would give them cereal mixed with formula I gradually added fruit or a veggie to it. Not a lot (many will over feed) just enough to fill their tummies more. Slowly we worked up to cereal 3x a day. Shortly after that it was cereal for breakfast and baby food for lunch and dinner then when they were older soft foods and so on. I could just tell my kids were not getting full and formula was just not doing it all for them. Keep in mind I had two HUGE preemies (8 and 9 pounds) every child and their needs are different. No two are alike and no situation is the same. The age at which a Mom introduces solids is a much heated topic with no right or wrong answer in my opinion. For me it comes down to what is best for the child.
  9. deployment #2: 1 month down!
    deployment #2: 1 month down!
    Quote Originally Posted by princessgwynn View Post
    There are a lot of different things that are supposed to be signs that they are ready. I started DS on them because he was avidly watching me eat, grabbing for my food etc. He would literally watch my food as it moved from my plate to my mouth. This was a good resource for me- http://www.babycenter.com/0_introduc...d-foods_113.bc
    Matt always wanted my food. He was also teething and eating almost 8 oz every 4 hours.
  10. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

All babies are diifferent. And drs will tell different. With ODS I was told to start him at 3 mths, YDS I started at 4 1/2 mths, DD I waited till she was almost 7 mths.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast