Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BFing problems

1. Senior Member

Help BFing problems

Advertisements
    The past week or so I started pumping a lot, and my supply has increased like crazy. Youd think that would be a good thing, except for the fact that now when I nurse him it comes out so fast that he chokes on it. I have such a forceful letdown now that its too much for him to swallow at one time. It come out of the sides of his mouth because theres too much and he starts to choke and cough.

Plus now I get so engorged that if I dont pump or nurse every hour I feel like my boobs will explode. Ive tried not pumping so much, but then I leak like crazy. I cant even just let a little out because there is so much that theyre still too full.

Every time I pump I get about 4 ounces per boob in a 5 minute sitting. IDK if thats normal or not, but that has never happened to me before. I get that much pumping/ nursing every hour, and I get that much just out of one boob.

Another problem is that he is definetly getting wayyyy too much foremilk. He has had green poops, and when I pump it's almost all foremilk and hardly any hindmilk.

Im in a cycle here of pumping/ nursing/ pumping/ nursing over and over and over

HELP?!?!?! How can I manage this? How can I make my letdown less forcefull so he doesnt choke?

I never thought so much milk would be a problem
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    supply is based on demand, the more you express/nurse the more you'll produce, quit pumping for a few weeks and you'll get back to a regular letdown

eta: hand express just enough to relieve the pressure but not enough to get a lot.
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by harrisonsdream View Post
    supply is based on demand, the more you express/nurse the more you'll produce, quit pumping for a few weeks and you'll get back to a regular letdown

eta: hand express just enough to relieve the pressure but not enough to get a lot.

Banned
    this makes no sense to me

5. Formerly known as stapletonlove
    Formerly known as stapletonlove
    I can't help, but I hope your boobs feel better! Lol.

6. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    Your boobs are probably thinking you're feeding more than one child or that your child is eating more than he actually is, due to the amount of times you are pumping.

with Jill's advice!

If you KEEP pumping every hour, you will continue to produce a lot...
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Also, what helps me when I get engorged is to take a hot shower and to just let the water run over my boobs
  8. Senior Member
    Like harrisonsdream said, its supply and demand, so your body is thinking that it needs to produce this much. I would pick a few times a day that you pump- maybe once in the morning, once at nap time and once after he goes to bed (just for example) and just stick to those times. The first days are going to be miserable- you'll be engorged and leaking, but once your body gets used to it your production will slow down and your supply with even out. It sucks, but its really important that your baby gets hindmilk- its important for brain production, there lots of really good fats in that hindmilk.

Another way to make sure he gets the hindmilk is to feed in blocks- for example- from 7am to 11am you only nurse on one side, even if its multiple nursings. Then switch to the other side for a few hours. That should help empty the breast and get to the hindmilk. But I would really try and get a handle on the oversupply issue - its definitely awesome that your body is so great at making milk, but it can definitely be a pain to deal with too!
  9. lea
    Stop pumping!!! When you start to get engorged just hand express enough so you aren't uncomortable. You will probably leak (and you can just hang out in the shower and let it come) at first but within a few days your supply will even out.

I also agree with one-sided nursing for 2-3 hour blocks. It will as well take a few days to regulate itself but it really works well.
  10. and still I think of you
    and still I think of you
    Blog Entries
    block feeding is a great idea.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast