Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Some breastfeeding questions.

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Question Some breastfeeding questions.

Advertisements
    I plan on BFing Kylee, and I hope hope hope hope hope I can, but I'm starting to get really nervous.. I'm not leaking at all, and I know that's not really an indication or anything, but it just makes me nervous. Last night I had a dream that I was feeding her, she latched on really well, but nothing would come out and she gave up after a minute of getting nothing

Overreacting? Probably, but I'm nervous about it.

I know about the supply-demand thing, so I also want to pump. Would it be best to just get a by hand pump right now, and then if I decide I want an electric big thing I can just get it after the birth?

Also - I've heard the really uncomfortable/painful part, and I'm really not good with pain at all. I'm a huge baby, but I don't want that to deter me from BFing. I read that nipple shields can help with that and latching, but I'm not sure if that's true? Has anyone tried them?
  2. Senior Member
    As far as the pain, mine went away after a few days. When youre in the hospital make use of the lactation consultant, because they will help you to get a good latch, and that will help the pain a lot. The pain from it will be short lived but the benefits from it last a long time. Its one of the best things you can do for your baby, just remind yourself that.

I got a hand pump, and found it wayyyyyy too much work, I got hardly anything from it. I bought an electric and there was a huge difference. If you plan on pumping regularly I personally would just go with the electric right away.

I was worried about not having enough milk either, and then after he was born my milk didnt come in for I think it was 11 days!! I was realllyyy about to give up, but I was glad I didnt. If you do have some trouble with your milk coming in, keep on nursing, it will happen
  3. Senior Member
    I never leaked either while I was pregnant and breastfed both my children without a supply problem. It was a bit uncomfortable/painful the first week of breastfeeding but after that it was fine for me. Dont be shy about asking a lactation consultant for advice or help. Its great youre planning on breastfeeding. Good luck!

4. Senior Member
    Definitely make use of the lactation consultant in the hospital! I was really nervous about BFing too, partially because I had a bad experience with it with DS. The best thing I did with DD was to set my mind to BFing even when I started to doubt myself. If you're going to buy a pump, definitely buy/rent an electric one. The hand pumps aren't worth the trouble. I have a Lansinoh double electric pump and it is amazing! It was a lot cheaper than other pumps out there.
  5. Senior Member
    I agree with everyone else use the lactation consultant. That is what they are there for and are a wealth of information!!

There is pain the the begining, but it will go away pretty quickly. By the time you are feeling better froom the delivery you will feel better about the BFing as well.

As for the pump, I think it depends what your plans are. If you are wanting to pump just for a little extra here and there or to help build up your supply, a hand pump should be sufficent. If you are going to be working/daycare/away from home often then I would go with an electric. You can often get the pumps at the hospital from the lactation consultant (at cost of course) but then the lactation consultant could help you on the pump as well.
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    It should only hurt if the baby's latch is not correct but a lactation consultant should be able to help with that. I never used a nipple shield but have heard wonderful things about it. Especially if your nipples are cracked/bleeding from an incorrect latch. I wish I had known about them with ODD. We had one week were it was extremely painful. With YDD we didn't have that problem but after bf ODD for 23 months I kinda knew what I was doing lol

Also, you could try and see if there is a LLL group in your area that meets. They could be a wonderful resource for you as well
    An unconditional right to say what one pleases about public affairs is what I consider to be the minimum guarantee of the First Amendment.
  7. You Can't Hear The Music Until You Dance
    You Can't Hear The Music Until You Dance
    It's interesting to read everyone's responses.
    I found that the electric pump wasn't as good (or as gentle on my nipples!) as my manual Avent Isis pump!

I will be honest and upfront and say I resented and didnt enjoy breast feeding for probably the first 8 or so weeks... I found it really exhausting and I resented being chained down while my little guy nursed about every hour (he nursed a LOT!) But once I figured out how to multitask, (ie: grab my laptop, a book, the remote, LOL!) and how to do it without taking off my entire shirt (haha!) so I could do it in front of people, etc it was a lot better. (I didn't experience any pain or latching or supply problems - it was smooth sailing in that respect! It was more emotional distress)

But I stuck with it and breast fed until my little guy was 8 months old! (Despite the fact he kept trying to self wean from 5 1/2 months!) And I am glad I did. Maybe the next baby I can nurse even longer!!
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Thank you all for your responses!

I won't be working or ever away from her really until she's 3-4 months and that'll only be for an hour or two to take tests for school. So I think I'll get a manual pump at first, and see how that works out. And I decided to definitely get a nipple shield, just to see how that works out.

I feel a lot better about it, not as nervous, after reading all your responses, so thank you!
  9. lea
    Don't worry! I never leaked before I gave birth and very rarely leaked since I've been bf'ing the last 2 years. Your milk won't come in for a few days and maybe even a week. But don't worry your baby is getting all he/she needs from you. Just keep nursing on demand...which may be all day in the beginning! This is when most moms are tempted to start giving formula, just resist b/c it can mess up your nursing relationship. And please don't use a nipple shield unless you have exhausted every other option! They are really hard to wean off of, really inconvienent, and most LC's only recommend them as very last resorts! I was one of the few people that had extreme pain for the 1st 3 months of nursing and all my LC's still said that the shield would just end up making things worse. But my pain did stop and I am still happily nursing my 2 yr old little girl! My best tips are:

-Be dedicated to it! That's what got me through the really rough times!
    -Don't keep "back-up" stuff around...like bottles and formula.
    -Be prepared for it to hurt...my favorite things were the Ameda comfort gel pads!
    -See a Lactation consultant in the hospital and have #'s of LC's that can come to you or that you can go to after you come home. And call them if you have ANY trouble!
    -Don't bother with pumping unless you need to relieve engorgement. A small handpump will do fine.
    -Nurse on demand.
    -Get a Boppy pillow! It really, really helps with positioning.
    -Consider co-sleeping...you get more rest that way

You can do it!