Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: introducing solids???

1. lord help us all!
    lord help us all!

Question introducing solids???

Advertisements
    i'm at a loss as to what to do!!! i have been giving him green veggies at night, but i want to start getting him on a schedule. i would like to give them to him at least twice a day. i BF, so how do i know he's getting what he needs? how much should i give him? should i feed him the solid then BF him? how did you do it? i'm just worried he's not going to get enough BM. sooooo help me out ladies! give me some insight and some tips and recommendations! TIA!!!
  2. lord help us all!
    lord help us all!
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    I'm not to this point yet (still preggo) but I plan to add solid foods the way my mom recommended. She said at 12 months she'd add one food a week. If you add one a week and there's an allergic reaction, you know what caused it. Other than the solid food, you should BF as you would otherwise. You would for instance give a solid food for dinner and continue with BF every other feeding of the day.

Hope that helped! You prolly know a lot of that anyway!!
  4. deployment #2: 1 month down!
    deployment #2: 1 month down!
    For the first week I started with just giving him cereal and one jar of baby food. ALWAYS breastfeed (in my case give a bottle) first since that's still where most of his nutrition comes from. It's more important that he get the milk than the solids. After a week or so I upped to two feeding of baby food. First feeding is just formula, breakfast: fruit and bottle, lunch: cereal and bottle, dinner: veggie and bottle, bedtime feeding: bottle.

ETA armywife is right about the waiting. I always waited three days after starting a new food before introducing another new one. As long as he is gaining weight and doesn't seem hungry don't worry too much about it.
  5. deployment #2: 1 month down!
    Quote Originally Posted by armywife227 View Post
    I'm not to this point yet (still preggo) but I plan to add solid foods the way my mom recommended. She said at 12 months she'd add one food a week. If you add one a week and there's an allergic reaction, you know what caused it. Other than the solid food, you should BF as you would otherwise. You would for instance give a solid food for dinner and continue with BF every other feeding of the day.

Hope that helped! You prolly know a lot of that anyway!!
    You need to start adding solids (baby food and/or cereal) by 6 months because at 6 months they aren't getting enough iron from just the breastmilk or formula.
  6. You Can't Hear The Music Until You Dance
    You Can't Hear The Music Until You Dance
    Quote Originally Posted by Brittany Rashel View Post
    You need to start adding solids (baby food and/or cereal) by 6 months because at 6 months they aren't getting enough iron from just the breastmilk or formula.
    12 months is WAY too late.

I started Wes at 4 months. I simply couldn't keep up with his demand for breast feeding - he would nurse every 90 minutes during the day. It was exhausting!! I did manage to keep nursing him until 8 months, though. But, I don't know if I would've been able to keep nursing if we'd delayed solids until 6 months!!

We just gave him one 2oz jar of vegies at lunch one 2oz jar of vegies at dinner, followed by a 2oz jar of fruit. At about 5 months we introduced fruit at breakfast, too.

By 6 months he was on fruit, both puree and cut up fruit for breakfast, puree vegies, rice/pasta and meat for lunch followed by some cut up fruit and same for dinner.

At about 7 1/2 months we introduced table foods slowly - and now at 10 months he is entirely on table foods. (Though, I have to make his separately, he doesn't just eat what we eat. I usually cook him food that is easy to pick up and chew. Things like pasta and chicken and mixed vegies cooked in a can of cheese soup and cream of chicken soup, so its all sticky, or packet flavoured rice with added mixed vegies, or mac n cheese with broccoli, etc)

We eat organically, so I have tried to make his food as much as possible, but have also used the organic jars, too, for on the go.
  7. lord help us all!
    lord help us all!
    you feed them the WHOLE jar! i thought you were supposed to give them 1/2 of it. ooops! owell. he's still in the learning phase according to everything i've read, so i guess its not a big deal. but i do suppose i will start giving him the whole thing. thanks for the info ladies! we had carrots for lunch! he liked them!!! and i guess we'll have carrots and green beans for dinner.

i haven't introduced any fruits yet. i heard that you should do the veggies first so they like them before they start eating the sweet fruits. is that not true??? should i be feeding him fruits too. or since he's not 6 months quite yet, is it ok to do just veggies? this is way more complicated than i thought it would be. or i'm just stupid.
  8. Love Simply, Simply love
    Love Simply, Simply love
    With fruit I just mixed it in with the cereal at first. Feed em only a half of a jar, and make sure you don't feed them out of the jar itself and then seal it back up (breeding area for bacteria.)

If you have more questions, the pedi is the best person to ask.
    ...Done....
  9. deployment #2: 1 month down!
    I give Matt a whole jar at one feeding. I gave him fruits and veggies. He's only not liked green beans. Now he's on bananas, pears, applesauce, sweet potatoes, squash and carrots. I don't give him the green beans anymore because he will just spit it out but anything else he'll eat the whole 2 oz container. He's on gerber stage 1s right now but I'm moving him up to stage 2s when he turns six months. At that point he'll have had all the stage ones.