Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: how do I balance...

1. well, Mommy of 7 now! ;)
    well, Mommy of 7 now! ;)

Help how do I balance...

Advertisements
    weightloss w/ breast feeding? I am losing weight (need to) but I've noticed my milk supply dropping off. how can I have both weight loss and continue to BF?

*btw here is a typical day for me as far as food goes...

Breakfast: granola w/raisins and almonds with skim milk and a glass of oj.

Snack: light yogurt and light string cheese.

Lunch: tuna sanwich/chicken salad/turkey burger on whole grain bun...something like that w/carrots or some other veggie.

Snack: apple and l/f cottage cheese.

Dinner: turkey chili and salad/ turkey spaghetti/salmon with brown rice and broccoli...something like that.

Snack: ( I don't always have an evening snack though) f/f ice cream/protein shake/ yogurt and string cheese,

And I drink a lot of water. No soda or juice other than my small glass of oj in the morning.

Navy Wife and Mom to 7 Lil Monkeys
  2. Senior Member
    I was having the same problem. DH and I started doing p90x and I have lost about 7 pounds in 3 weeks. My calorie intake is about 2100 but it all good, healthy food and we work out 6-7 days a week. While breastfeeding you can not cut calories. I think it is more being active.
  3. well, Mommy of 7 now! ;)
    well, Mommy of 7 now! ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jill View Post
    While breastfeeding you can not cut calories. I think it is more being active.
    Honestly, I haven't paid any attention to my calorie intake. I guess that is something I should do. I am watching my fat intake very closely, but not my calorie intake.

4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    My doc told me that it would be more exercise than anything else, and that's been the case for me so far. I put Muffin in the stroller and we go for nice, long walks.
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    It sounds like you are eating really well. Good job!

Your milk is produced based on the level of demand for the milk. The more you are nursing, the more milk you will supply. Bring baby to the breast more often, or pump more often.

ETA: Just the stimulation (even if milk isn't coming out every time) helps your breasts produce more.

Good Luck! for breastfeeding, that's wonderful!!
    Last edited by JubilantlyBlithe; 06-19-2009 at 03:42 PM.
    Remember OPSEC Please!!
    Don't post dates and sensitive information.
  6. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

I never "try" to loose weight while BFing, BFing actually helps you loose weight. I dropped from about a 10/12 to a 4 BFing DD and I was still eating the same and doing the same excersise routine (MSOSing, not much else ). I have put on a little since stopping, but that is to be expected and it is only like a few lbs, so not much

7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I've never tried to loose weight while BFing but I noticed when I drink more water I produce a lot more milk...(I hate water)
  8. well, Mommy of 7 now! ;)
    well, Mommy of 7 now! ;)
    great advice ladies.. thank you.

normally I wouldn't try to lose weight while BFing but I have A LOT to lose. I have 7 kiddos ages 8 to newborn and I put on a lot of weight. Now that I know we won't have any more kiddos I am anxious to lose the weight. And I have a small frame and all the extra weight is starting to hurt. My feet, ankles, hips... all hurt so bad by the end of the day.

I guess I really need to find a way to get out and exercise more!

9. Pass the Chocolate
    Pass the Chocolate
    I'd incorporate more exercise (walking the baby?) rather than try to cut calories. I'd keep the calories up, make sure you are getting enough protein,etc and hopefully it will come off. You burn up to 500 calories a day just lactating!

I know that WW has a nursing mother program...you might be able to find the program online.