Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Daycare Alternative...Opinion?

1. Hooked on the sauce
    Hooked on the sauce

Daycare Alternative...Opinion?

Advertisements
    So I have 2 options.

Option 1 -

PRO - My boss takes his 3 year old to this daycare center right by my work. I haven't checked them out, but they're pretty pricey. However, I'm optimistic about them because if my boss takes his girl there, it puts my mind a little at ease.

CON - Taking my son to a daycare with a bunch of people and strange little babies.

Option 2 -

My neighbor across from me moved in with her husband a month ago. They're a very nice couple from New York. The husband works for the City and the wife is going to college at night. They have volunteered to take out my garbage and help me out wherever they can since DH is deployed. In speaking with the wife, she used to be a nanny back in New York for 10 years. She was also a nurse in a senior center. She's 31 and is looking for nanny work or retail. Something to keep her busy during the day. I told her that I was going back to work in July.

PRO - She's right across from me. I wont have to get up insanely early to take Wesson to daycare, it would be alot cheaper, it will be flexible with DH coming home from deployment. The other daycare only allows up to 2 weeks of absence. My hubbys' postdeployment leave is around a month... This will also help alot because the dogs wont be home alone so long, yada yada.

CON - I like her very much but we haven't known each other very long. However, I at least feel like I know her more than I would leaving her with strangers at a daycare...

What would you do? HELP!!!
  2. Member
    Option 2 sounds better to me but it is hard to say not knowing her
    DH ~ I did inventory, you have my heart, Killy has my DNA, and the army has my body.
    Wifey to Fashionista

3. and still I think of you
    and still I think of you
    Blog Entries
    I would ask for references from this lady to check her out and if everything checked out good, I would use her. I always preferred my my kids to have one on one if at all possible.
    My parents watch Bella for me at night while I am at work and it is very nice to have someone in my home to take care of the baby. She is in her own room and has her toys, ect.
  4. Senior Member
    I would ask for your neighbors refrences. Then I would call those people and see how they liked her, any problems, etc... Ask to see her nursing degree, or proof there of.

If all checks out I think that is the best option. I do not really like infant care in daycare centers though, unless the ratio is very low/lots of baby out of the crib contained area time/low turn over rates for the employees.... I just don't think there is as much interaction.
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I personally am more found of daycare's because I think interaction with other kids (no matter how young) helps them alot.... however, the nanny in this situation doesn't sound bad. I would ask her for some references or past families before I left her alone with my child... While she is your neighbor and super nice, you want to do your homework first!
  6. Hooked on the sauce
    Hooked on the sauce
    Down here, the state law is a 1:5 ratio for worker/infants. I'd prefer a one on one but I'm hesitant about picking one in the newspaper ya know? She wants to talk more with me (it was late and we were chatting while I was walking the dogs) about it but I think I like the idea. I just wanted to make sure it sounded like a reasonable idea and that I wasn't off my rocker.
  7. Senior Member
    I would definitely consider option 2 first assuming that she can provide references and they check out. You'll also want to check her house out regarding safety and make sure she has a plan for caring for your kid. Also, probably want to see if she'll spend some time caring for son while you are around or out running an errand.

I would have preferred a nanny, but it was cost prohibitive. Both girls have done well so far at a daycare center, but I like the one-on-one, particularly with babies.
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I'd do a background check on her and discuss expectations in detail. Even though she is a friend try to also impart that its a business relationship as well, kwim. Interview her.

The most common mistake parents make is that they talk too much during an interview. The purpose of the interview is to find out about HER. Ask open-ended questions that solicit more than a "yes" or "no" response. Don't appear judgmental as she answers. The more comfortable she is during the interview, the more information she will share about herself.

Ask her about each of her previous positions with questions like, "Tell me about the children on your last job." See how comfortable you are with her response. Another question, "Describe each of your last three employers and tell me what you liked and disliked about each?" Think about how you might fit in with her preferences in employer style. Your relationship with her is as important as her relationship with your children.

Don't forget the hypothetical questions. "My two year old simply won't go down for his nap and you know he's ready. How are you going to handle it?" "My baby is colicky and hasn't stopped crying since you arrived three hours ago. What will you do to calm her?"
    Good luck. I would go for Option 2 if I felt comfortable. One on one is priceless when they're wee ones.
  9. Hooked on the sauce
    Hooked on the sauce
    Thanks so much for the opinions guys! Thanks for the interview question examples Marley!
  10. Veteran's Wife <---- this makes me sound so old! :(
    Veteran's Wife <---- this makes me sound so old! :(
    Hey if you get her information, like her social security number, name, and address you can run a background check on her! If you get me their names I could have DH run a criminal history but it will only be locally... so it won't really help you with their background in NY.... but I would definitely run a background check also!
    Our perfectly, not perfect, family!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast