Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: daycare help

1. Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta
    Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta

Question daycare help

Advertisements
    how did you pick your daycare for your newborn?

proximity?
    price?
    cleanliness?
    security?
    teachers?
    reputation/reviews?
    gut feeling after a visit?

there's so much to consider!

we found one that we like. it's clean, well organized, and very close to where i work (lunch-time visits!!). it's $165/week regardless of how many hours she's there each day. she would not be there 40 hours because dh will be in school, not working.
    the building is secure, but they dont have cameras in the rooms. we still have to visit while the teachers are there.

$165/week sounds so expensive! is that the going rate? we've also found one cheaper & one more expensive....???
  2. Senior Member
    The rates depend upon where you are (it's over 200 a week in CA). $165 sounds about average. You should check the state's reporting agency for the schools record of infractions. They get inspected and those inspections are ruthless. It will also track parent complaints. I don't know where you are, but you can ask any daycare, or any other mom with kids in daycare and they'll probably know. More than anything, try to get a feel for the school. What looks good, but doesn't feel good, is probably not good.

In direct answer to the what to look for question. I liked close to home or work (esp. work if you are nursing), clean, happy kids, organized classroom without kids everywhere (unless it's freetime). The rooms my kids were in that I liked best had teachers that the kids liked and listened to. It was never chaos. I will say to beware of online reviews as they can be biased to the negative and the school owners can post glowing reviews...

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." - President Ronald Reagan
  3. deployment #2: 1 month down!
    deployment #2: 1 month down!
    DS isn't in daycare but I do know from working in a daycare that it is WAY more expensive to put a newborn in daycare. I believe it was about $150 a week for the daycare I worked at and that was for kids over a year old. I don't know what the newborn rate was since I worked with the 12-18 month olds.
  4. Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta
    Quote Originally Posted by thejigsup View Post
    The rates depend upon where you are (it's over 200 a week in CA). $165 sounds about average. You should check the state's reporting agency for the schools record of infractions. They get inspected and those inspections are ruthless. It will also track parent complaints. I don't know where you are, but you can ask any daycare, or any other mom with kids in daycare and they'll probably know. More than anything, try to get a feel for the school. What looks good, but doesn't feel good, is probably not good.

In direct answer to the what to look for question. I liked close to home or work (esp. work if you are nursing), clean, happy kids, organized classroom without kids everywhere (unless it's freetime). The rooms my kids were in that I liked best had teachers that the kids liked and listened to. It was never chaos. I will say to beware of online reviews as they can be biased to the negative and the school owners can post glowing reviews...
    thank you. i will look into this

Quote Originally Posted by Brittany Rashel View Post
    DS isn't in daycare but I do know from working in a daycare that it is WAY more expensive to put a newborn in daycare. I believe it was about $150 a week for the daycare I worked at and that was for kids over a year old. I don't know what the newborn rate was since I worked with the 12-18 month olds.
    as a day care worker, what are some key things we should look for or ask about?
  5. Senior Member
    When Trent was in daycare (no matter his age) it was 20.00 a day. Of course that was in GA and KY. Even for a 3 day preschool it is only 165 a MONTH!

It seems expensive to me but that is because we would not be able to afford it!
  6. Senior Member
    http://kidshealth.org/parent/positiv...hild_care.html

There are a ton of articles out there. Run a search and you will find a ton of assistance.
  7. I'm from the south and sometimes I have a big mouth
    I'm from the south and sometimes I have a big mouth
    Make sure their ratio is no more than 1:4. Ask if you have to prepare bottles or if they can. Ask how much they interact with the kids, if they use bouncy seats, how many times they change diapers, nap policies, can you drop in anytime etc.
  8. deployment #2: 1 month down!
    deployment #2: 1 month down!
    Quote Originally Posted by jlbecker View Post
    as a day care worker, what are some key things we should look for or ask about?
    Cleanliness is the big one that comes to mind. We were very big on keeping things clean. With so many kids, it's so easy to transfer germs. How often do they mop? How do the clean their toys (we used a bleach and water combo once a week on the toys)? What is their cleaning routine? With our daycare every thing, except the toys, had to be wiped down with soapy water every day which is what I would hope that everyone did.

How many teachers would be in the room? By law there has to be one daycare worker to every 5 children. When you feel like you're set on a specific daycare then I would advise a long conversation with the teacher that your baby will be with and if you can, talk to some of the parents of kids that will be around your baby. Talking to the parents will help you gauge if there are any problems with that teacher. Does their child have more frequent diaper rash since going to that daycare, which would mean they weren't being changed enough. Is frequent biting a problem? There's normally a biter in every class and some bites are unpreventable since you could turn around for a second and someone gets bit. But if it's happening too often it could mean that the teacher isn't attentive enough.

Most importantly, do all the research you can on the place. There are some things you can't figure out by just talking to people who work there. Have you asked some moms that live there to recommend a daycare? They might have some experience with what is good and what isn't.
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I will say stay far the fuck away from Kindercare. I went there as a child and worked there as an adult and they will not treat our child the way you want them to.
  10. Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta
    Quote Originally Posted by Amber View Post
    I will say stay far the fuck away from Kindercare. I went there as a child and worked there as an adult and they will not treat our child the way you want them to.
    i looked at a kindercare and they were the most expensive, but i honestly thought they also looked the cleanest and the teacher was very nice. I'm glad you said something! the one we are currently preferring is not kindercare.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast