Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Another BF'ing Question

1. *Too Blessed To Be Stressed*
    *Too Blessed To Be Stressed*

Question Another BF'ing Question

Advertisements
    I have heard that some people can pump one side while nursing the other, but what if the baby wants both sides? Does one side run out of milk eventually while he is eating? How will I know when its empty? Oh my some of the questions I ask sound soooo crazy but I am trying to learn as much as I can about nursing and pumping.
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I recommend The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding or The Breastfeeding Book. Both are great resources but I'll answer your question too: I didn't start pumping until lil miss was after 6 weeks old, that way my supply established and we were somewhat in a routine. your body will also make more milk if the demand goes up. So say you are nursing one side and pumping the other at every feeding your supply will regulate to that. If Logan for some reason decides he wants to eat both sides and you still need to/want to pump your body will regulate to that.
  3. and still I think of you
    and still I think of you
    Blog Entries
    I found a lot of good information at www.kellymom.com There is so much useful info there and they have a forum also.

I personally, pump after each feeding when I was pumping at home.
  4. Senior Member
    I always fed my babies on both sides at each feeding. I'd never heard of only feeding one side per feeding. I think that would be uncomfortable to walk around with one empty boob and full boob. Usually you can tell your boob is empty because it feels comfortable and squishy again. When they are full of milk they get pretty hard. Eventually he'll suck all the milk out of one side. You'll usually know when hes ready for the other side because he'll let go and still be a little bit fussy. Some times I would pump if I didn't think they drank everything that was in there. I pumped in the very beginning when my milk first came in because i'd get so engorged they couldn't latch on. At first it hurt just to have the pump even touch my skin because it was pulled so tight but after a few ounces it was much better and I could them to latch on.
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather View Post
    I always fed my babies on both sides at each feeding. I'd never heard of only feeding one side per feeding. I think that would be uncomfortable to walk around with one empty boob and full boob. Usually you can tell your boob is empty because it feels comfortable and squishy again. When they are full of milk they get pretty hard. Eventually he'll suck all the milk out of one side. You'll usually know when hes ready for the other side because he'll let go and still be a little bit fussy. Some times I would pump if I didn't think they drank everything that was in there. I pumped in the very beginning when my milk first came in because i'd get so engorged they couldn't latch on. At first it hurt just to have the pump even touch my skin because it was pulled so tight but after a few ounces it was much better and I could them to latch on.
    DD has only ever nursed on one side per feeding. Once I regulated my supply it wasn't so bad.
  6. Senior Member
    I could always pump on the one side because I know that I have an overabundance of milk and one side is almost always sufficient for Lilly unless my supply has dropped for some reason or she is going through a growth spurt. I don't think I am quite normal though.

As for being able to tell when one is empty, you just know. The one kind of feels deflated, for lack of a better description.
    Needs work.
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Yep my DD only ever nurses on one side at a time. I found it hard to pump at the same time though. I have a few nursing books if I can find where I stashed them when we moved you are welcome too.
  8. *Too Blessed To Be Stressed*
    *Too Blessed To Be Stressed*
    OK, another dumb question.
    Ok, I have to take Jer to school by 7:50am do I need to make sure I get up early and wake him feed him before we leave the house for school or will it be okay to wait? Im so worried that I will be out and about and get really engorged and he gets ready to eat and I can't feed him right then. Thankfully Logan will be 2 mths old before school starts back. Thank goodness for having him at the beginning of summer break. Oooo Im sorry Im so full of questions.
  9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    it depends, dd was one of those kids who didn't have to eat as soon as she woke up (still that way). logan might be like that or he might be an "i'm awake feed me NOW" kinda kid. by two months though a semi routine should be established and your supply should've leveled out so you hopefully won't be AS engorged in the morning