Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I regret it

1. deployment #2: 1 month down!
    deployment #2: 1 month down!

I regret it

Advertisements
    I regret so much quitting breastfeeding. I know that I had a logical reason but I feel like I should have tried harder. I never could get him to latch without a nipple shield because I have flat nipples but I never went and saw a lactation consultant. I just keep thinking if I had seen someone then maybe they could have helped me to get him to latch.

Not to mention that I thought that every thing with my boobs would go back to normal once I quit BFing but they still leak from time to time with too much stimulation. That wasn't a reason I quit but I thought of it as a benefit. With all the recent posts about BFing I just can't help but think of how at this point it probably would have been alot easier than it was when I decided to quit. I know I'll get a chance to try harder with my next baby but I feel like I've robbed Matt of the oppurtunity to get to be fully breastfed.

I never thought I'd regret my decision. I thought I had thought it over enough but I guess not or else I wouldn't be feeling this way. I just needed to get that out and tell someone. I tried talking to DH about it but he just doesn't get it. I know there's no going back at this point and that makes me sad. I just wish I had done things differently.
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    If they still leak could you try to pump? Could you try to stimulate them until they produce again? (<<Knows jack sh*t about breastfeeding)
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    You could actually possibly restart your boobies. I've heard of people who didn't bf for a LONG time and got them restarted. Especially if you are still leaky, your boobs will remember what to do.... it is just a matter of restarting them.

If you want to... go see an LC. They can help you work out the details should you start producing again... and can help you restart as well. More than likely, that will consist of putting baby to breast often during the day and/or pumping.

Don't feel bad though for quitting... we all do what we need to do... you tried and that is something.
  4. deployment #2: 1 month down!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBryTree View Post
    You could actually possibly restart your boobies. I've heard of people who didn't bf for a LONG time and got them restarted. Especially if you are still leaky, your boobs will remember what to do.... it is just a matter of restarting them.

If you want to... go see an LC. They can help you work out the details should you start producing again... and can help you restart as well. More than likely, that will consist of putting baby to breast often during the day and/or pumping.

Don't feel bad though for quitting... we all do what we need to do... you tried and that is something.
    I'm not sure if I could considering it was about 3 months ago when I stopped. And when they do leak it's only a few drops. I'm not sure how that works though. I was told once you quit, there is no going back.
    I feel ya!!!

I have the same feelings, but i've realized that no matter what decision I made my son is healthy and happy, and thats really all that matters.

I've also heard of people "restarting" their supply, so you could pump like a mad woman and see if that works!

Like I said, I feel the same way, but try not to be too hard on yourself, just know you did what was best at the time, and remember your son is happy and healthy!

6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I felt the same way with Jaxon -- I quit when he was 2 weeks old. My nipples cracked because he wasn't latching properly, and I didn't know how to take care of them. I never asked anyone for help or advice, I just quit because it hurt. I regretted it, too. But, this time I asked for help any time I didn't know what to do, or any time I just needed support. I remember how sad I was for "giving up" with Jaxon, and it helped me through the rough times when I wanted to quit with Jace.

It's hard, sometimes painful and very time consuming. It drains you physically and emotionally. I am sure next time you will make it work for you and get the help and support that you need. Don't beat yourself up over it, though. Being unsuccessful the first time was a huge lesson for me, and it has really helped me this time. Plus, even though Jaxon was formula fed, he is a healthy, happy 4 year old now!
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I felt the same way with ODD
  8. Senior Member

i'm not sure if you've looked into it...but you can reestablish your milk supply. le leche league has some articles and information on it on their website. i considered doing it whenever i had to stop breastfeeding our son...i was supposed to be away from him for two weeks on duty and couldn't pump and store so i chose to let it dry up. i thought about reestablishment after i returned home but decided against it. ya never know, it might work for you and solve your dilemma! either way, there is nothing wrong with stopping breastfeeding...baby is still getting nutrients that are vital for his growth!
  9. deployment #2: 1 month down!
    Quote Originally Posted by Blessed Ohana View Post
    i'm not sure if you've looked into it...but you can reestablish your milk supply. le leche league has some articles and information on it on their website. i considered doing it whenever i had to stop breastfeeding our son...i was supposed to be away from him for two weeks on duty and couldn't pump and store so i chose to let it dry up. i thought about reestablishment after i returned home but decided against it. ya never know, it might work for you and solve your dilemma! either way, there is nothing wrong with stopping breastfeeding...baby is still getting nutrients that are vital for his growth!
    I'm looking into that right now. I was reading an article about it and I'm getting slightly hopeful because it says that if you breastfed for the first 4-6 weeks post partum and had a well established supply that it's easier to get the relactation process going. I don't want to get too excited yet though because of the fact that I did stop for 3 months. I don't want to get my hopes up and then not be able to, kwim?
  10. Silence is golden duct tape is silver :)
    Silence is golden duct tape is silver :)
    breast feeding isn't right for everyone

and the bit you did do was great you do what is best for you and your child

if your child is growing and healthy then thats all that matters right
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast