Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much does your breastfed baby eat?

1. Senior Member

How much does your breastfed baby eat?

Advertisements
    I really cant tell if he is eating enough. He lost a ton of weight when he left the hospital, so they told me to feed him A LOT and to come back in 4 days. Well, in 4 days he gained 12 ounces! I guess I fed him enough

But now that he is back to be on a "normal" feeding schedule, I'm having a hard time figuring out what that is. Right now Im trying to do every 2 hours during the day, and every 4 hours at night. But sometimes he doesnt want to eat every 2 hours, and sometimes at night it will take me forever to wake him up to eat, so he will end up going 5 hours by the time I get him to latch on.

Whats your breastfed babys schedule? How long do they eat for at a time? What point did you let them sleep through the night without waking to feed them? He would sleep forever if I didnt wake to feed him.
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    feed him when he's hungry.

eta: dd ate anywhere from 5-10 minutes on one side every few hours
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by harrisonsdream View Post
    feed him when he's hungry.
    Im trying to "feed on demand" but it seems to me like he isn't wanting to be fed enough. He always seems so happy and content. I accidently slept through my alarm to feed him the other night and he went 6 whole hours of straight sleep! I woke up in a panic and when he ate he didnt even seem to be hungry. I felt like I was practically shoving him on my breast to eat. Maybe Im just expecting him to eat more than he does.
  4. Senior Member
    DS is eating about every 3 hours during the day and goes a little longer at night.

ETA: DS is 3 weeks old now. The first week to week and a half he seemed to prefer sleeping to eating and went 5-6 hour stretches at night between feedings.
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I feed YDD whenever she is hungry. She's one month old at this point. She's slept for 6+ hours twice so far. If he doesn't wake up I take that as a sign that she isn't hungry and enjoy the sleep I get. lol
    An unconditional right to say what one pleases about public affairs is what I consider to be the minimum guarantee of the First Amendment.
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    How old is your DS?
    An unconditional right to say what one pleases about public affairs is what I consider to be the minimum guarantee of the First Amendment.
  7. Senior Member
    I've been pushing Grace real hard to eat every chance she's awake. Every hour or so..

Do you think that he's sleeping so much because he's NOT getting enough? I mean, jaundice babies are extra sleepy, and when they sleep alot, they miss feedings, and it's a downward spiral and they get even more jaundice, kwim?

Did they say anything about his coloring at his checkup?

I'd be patient and sit there with your boob on his face until he gives in.
  8. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

i dunno if she was right or not but the lacatation lady i saw on monday said to wake the baby up every 2hrs or so to feed bc even if baby asleep, baby may still be hungry and sometimes they arent able to wake themselves up to feed I dunno how true that is?!
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Germanchick View Post
    How old is your DS?
    Hes 11 days now. I think thats a little too early to let him set his own schedule so thats why Im trying to get him to eat so often.

Quote Originally Posted by leftover View Post
    I've been pushing Grace real hard to eat every chance she's awake. Every hour or so..

Do you think that he's sleeping so much because he's NOT getting enough? I mean, jaundice babies are extra sleepy, and when they sleep alot, they miss feedings, and it's a downward spiral and they get even more jaundice, kwim?

Did they say anything about his coloring at his checkup?

I'd be patient and sit there with your boob on his face until he gives in.

He was jaundiced and lost too much weight at his 2 day checkup. 4 days later there was no more jaundice and he gained 12 ounces. His next appt is monday and his coloring is fine and I can tell that he has gained more because he is getting a little tummy now.

But Im worried about exactly what youre talking about. I feel like he might be tired because he isnt eating enough. I guess Im not sure if its just a worry Im having or if its whats happening... Ive been trying to get him to feed every hour today, and he has only really eaten every 2 hours. Every 2 hours is what we are going for, so were doing okay today.
  10. DH: you are my queen, my goddess, and my love. i love you.
    DH: you are my queen, my goddess, and my love. i love you.
    if this helps at all, buuut by the time i was 5wks old i slept through the night, 12 hours...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast