Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BFing and Biting!

1. lord help us all!
    lord help us all!

BFing and Biting!

Advertisements
    Lo baby is 4 months old. teething. and has started biting while i feed him.how do i stop this??? it hurts some! i tell him to stop biting mommy, and he gives me an evil little smile! but seriously! what do i do about him biting!?!?!?!
  2. lord help us all!
    lord help us all!
    no advice??? someone has to know something! i KNOW my son isn't the only one to bite!
  3. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    WHAT THE HELL WOMAN! you changed your name!?!
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    when dd bites i yell loudly to scare her and then put the boob away and tell her no biting. be prepared for crying and an upset baby but he will get over it.
  5. Senior Member
    I would take mine little on off and say no in a firm voice, not loud/scary/just a firm NO Bite! Then I would let them nurse again. After a few times it woudl work.

If you don't want to take him off you can put your finger in to break suction and say NO Bite, then let him resume.
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amazinggrace View Post
    I would take mine little on off and say no in a firm voice, not loud/scary/just a firm NO Bite! Then I would let them nurse again. After a few times it woudl work.

If you don't want to take him off you can put your finger in to break suction and say NO Bite, then let him resume.
    i wish the firm voice would work she's actually bitten me on purpose after that lol. i had to scare her to get her to stop.
  7. Senior Member
    Tell them that if they dont stop the boob is going away and then take it away if they bite again.
  8. Senior Member
    I just quickly tap/pushed on the nose and it startled them. A few times like that and it stopped.

Here's what a site on breast feeding says:

How to Handle the Bite

Try not to scream. While it will get baby's attention, it may also be a "reward" for that high need baby who likes lots of action. Of course, sometimes, screaming can't be controlled!
    Pull baby in close to your breasts. Very close. When baby's nose is all the way covered, baby will need to breathe, and will open up her mouth. This sounds like a punitive measure, but it is not designed to be. When you try to unlatch baby with your fingers, mothers often find that baby wants to continue to bite, and further nipple damage occurs as mom "fights" baby's jaws for possession of her nipple. Cutting off the airway works quickly and easily. Baby's are usually so surprised they don't cry. Hey moms, you have a right NOT to have your nipple bitten, so it's okay in this instance to take control of the situation! Since your baby wants to enjoy her right to nurse, it's in her best interests that you take charge and help her eliminate her bad habit.
    Tell baby "no biting", and give baby a teether or other toy or food (depending on baby's age) to occupy it.
    After the biting incident, do not offer to nurse baby again until she is hungry. If baby was still hungry, your baby would not have bitten. While occasionally a baby is still hungry, most of the time, a bite has signalled that baby is bored with nursing or in discomfort.
    The next time baby nurses, be sure to praise her at the end of the session for not biting. You can't lay it on too thick at this point! Let baby know how special and smart she is for not biting, and how proud you are of that behavior.
    Preventive measure: If your baby is already in the habit of biting at the end of the feeding, go ahead and unlatch your baby when the nursing slows down. Praise her for not biting and being a well behaved nurser. Let her know you love nursing her.
    Consult a lactation consultant or your friendly LLL leader if these measures do not help. Group support can help you get through a difficult nursing period.
    http://militarysos.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8121&dateline=1213248817 TAKEN AT NISQUALLY WILDLIFE PRESERVE
  9. lord help us all!
    lord help us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Amanda. View Post
    WHAT THE HELL WOMAN! you changed your name!?!
    yeah i did. it was time for a change. mine was so boring. this one makes me giggle!

thanks for the advice ladies! i will try it all out! i hope it works!
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kaaau View Post
    I just quickly tap/pushed on the nose and it startled them. A few times like that and it stopped.

Here's what a site on breast feeding says:

How to Handle the Bite

Try not to scream. While it will get baby's attention, it may also be a "reward" for that high need baby who likes lots of action. Of course, sometimes, screaming can't be controlled!
    Pull baby in close to your breasts. Very close. When baby's nose is all the way covered, baby will need to breathe, and will open up her mouth. This sounds like a punitive measure, but it is not designed to be. When you try to unlatch baby with your fingers, mothers often find that baby wants to continue to bite, and further nipple damage occurs as mom "fights" baby's jaws for possession of her nipple. Cutting off the airway works quickly and easily. Baby's are usually so surprised they don't cry. Hey moms, you have a right NOT to have your nipple bitten, so it's okay in this instance to take control of the situation! Since your baby wants to enjoy her right to nurse, it's in her best interests that you take charge and help her eliminate her bad habit.
    Tell baby "no biting", and give baby a teether or other toy or food (depending on baby's age) to occupy it.
    After the biting incident, do not offer to nurse baby again until she is hungry. If baby was still hungry, your baby would not have bitten. While occasionally a baby is still hungry, most of the time, a bite has signalled that baby is bored with nursing or in discomfort.
    The next time baby nurses, be sure to praise her at the end of the session for not biting. You can't lay it on too thick at this point! Let baby know how special and smart she is for not biting, and how proud you are of that behavior.
    Preventive measure: If your baby is already in the habit of biting at the end of the feeding, go ahead and unlatch your baby when the nursing slows down. Praise her for not biting and being a well behaved nurser. Let her know you love nursing her.
    Consult a lactation consultant or your friendly LLL leader if these measures do not help. Group support can help you get through a difficult nursing period.
    the bolded i disagree. i know for a fact that dd bit sometimes because if she dozed at the breast and jerked awake she bit. granted there have been times esp. now that she has bitten on purpose but that young she wasn't biting because she was bored
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast