Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Refusing to sleep

1. Damn it feels good to be a gangsta
    Damn it feels good to be a gangsta

Help Refusing to sleep

Advertisements
    I don't know what it is but Dawson will not sleep. Last night he may have gotten 3 hours of sleep. That's it. Today, he has fallen asleep on me at least 4 times and when I put him down he wakes up within 15 minutes. He is so overly exhausted he just screams and I just don't know what to do. I can't just hold him for hours while he sleeps, there is stuff that i need to do! Not to mention I also only got 3 hours of sleep and i'm just dragging and almost in tears i'm so tired.

The only think I can think of that is messing up his schedule is at 6pm without fail he seems to fall asleep for a good 3 hour nap. I try so hard to keep him awake so he sleeps better at night but what can you do with a 1month old to keep their interest?

2. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

At that age them sleeping during the day doesn't really effect them at night. Are you swaddling him?

Also, when you put him down are trying trying different places like the swing? Are you sure he's not hungry or wet?
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Caimbrie View Post
    At that age them sleeping during the day doesn't really effect them at night. Are you swaddling him?

Also, when you put him down are trying trying different places like the swing? Are you sure he's not hungry or wet?
    Agreed. Could be a growth spurt. He is only a month old. He is being the way he is. Sleep when he sleeps, the dirt will be there tomorrow. Today will not be. It will get better. Your expectations are going to have to go with who he is..not what you want right now.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  4. Damn it feels good to be a gangsta

I've tried the bassinet in our room and his crib. And i check him all the time for a wet diaper and the kid eats constantly anyway. But I will try swaddling him...he likes that anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by DakotaCowgirl View Post
    Agreed. Could be a growth spurt. He is only a month old. He is being the way he is. Sleep when he sleeps, the dirt will be there tomorrow. Today will not be. It will get better. Your expectations are going to have to go with who he is..not what you want right now.
    I realize that I just thought it was a bit unusual to sleep for maybe 4 hours in a 12 hour period at a month old. I know i'm about to fall over dead and I figured i could handle it better then him. Maybe not. I just thought that was a bit odd. And believe me I do try to sleep when he does but it is killer when it is a constant up and down. I never get into an actual sleep and I just end up feeling more groggy.

5. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon Marie View Post
    I've tried the bassinet in our room and his crib. And i check him all the time for a wet diaper and the kid eats constantly anyway. But I will try swaddling him...he likes that anyway.

Swaddling may do the trick. A lot of babies like that secure feeling. The motion of a swing or the vibration of a bouncer might also help.

It's normal for them to want to be held at that age. He keeps waking up because he doesn't feel secure.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Some babies are like that. Especially if he is going through a growth spurt. Then...one day. all he will do is sleep.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  7. Damn it feels good to be a gangsta
    Swaddling may do the trick. A lot of babies like that secure feeling. The motion of a swing or the vibration of a bouncer might also help.

It's normal for them to want to be held at that age. He keeps waking up because he doesn't feel secure.
    I'll try the swing too. He doesn't seem to be a big fan but I think that is because he just doesn't like being put down. If I could manage to get him in it once he's asleep....

8. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    swaddle him. it does wonders. we still swaddle em when she cant get her poop out.
  9. You Can't Hear The Music Until You Dance
    You Can't Hear The Music Until You Dance
    Wes was EXACTLY the same at this age.
    I used to put him in the bouncer with vibrate on, and turn on his white noise machine. It was all I could do.
    OH! And, the sling worked wonders. I'd sit down with him in the sling asleep!! LOL