Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Eczema and cats

1. deployment #2: 1 month down!
    deployment #2: 1 month down!

Question Eczema and cats

Advertisements
    So I think Matt has eczema. All the pictures I've seen online look exactly like what's on him and it's every where. He has scaly patches on his cheeks, rough patches on his ankles, and red bumps on his arms and behind his knees. I'm going to ask his doctor about it on Friday when we go up there. But my question is we have two cats and I read that cat dander can be an irritant. So if it is eczema, would I need to get rid of my cats?
  2. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

It's probably not even the cats. All of my boys have it and we've never had cats He may just have it regardless of the cats. The doc should give you a cream for it.

Just make sure you are vacuuming the floor and anywhere else the baby goes daily.
  3. Senior Member
    ummn i would think not.. eczema is just really bad dry skin the only thing irritates my sons is hard water and if i forget to put lotion on him in the morning oh and if he itches they get all swollen not good.. but i ahven't heard of it being irritated by anything else but that.
  4. deployment #2: 1 month down!
    I vacuum my floor once a week now but I'll probably start more since something is irritating his skin. I hate that he's so itchy and nothing is making it better. It makes me feel helpless.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brittany Rashel View Post
    I vacuum my floor once a week now but I'll probably start more since something is irritating his skin. I hate that he's so itchy and nothing is making it better. It makes me feel helpless.
    have you tried giving him an oatmeal bath and letting him soak for 10 minutes? i don't think it is anything in your home that is makeing him break out and him itching is not going to help it.. my son hates his eczema cause it itches sooo bad and you cannot help but feel so bad for them.. try aveeno lotion and an oatmeal bath it will sooth it and make sure you don't rub your child dry pat him dry and put lotion on right away..
  6. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

We have to have a strong cortizone cream prescription for my boys and one of them that doens't even work. his gets so bad he bleeds. I would definitely vacuum daily.
    Last edited by IMakeLotsaBabies; 05-11-2009 at 02:35 PM.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Navywife85 View Post
    have you tried giving him an oatmeal bath and letting him soak for 10 minutes? i don't think it is anything in your home that is makeing him break out and him itching is not going to help it.. my son hates his eczema cause it itches sooo bad and you cannot help but feel so bad for them.. try aveeno lotion and an oatmeal bath it will sooth it and make sure you don't rub your child dry pat him dry and put lotion on right away..
    i'm quoting myself cause i made a mistake i have heard of dust mites triggering eczema and food allergins too.. try vacuuming his bed and bedroom really well.

aslo my sons doc said to not let him get to hot cause that can trigger it too..

sorry i'm looking at my sons what to do list that he got form the doc.
  8. deployment #2: 1 month down!
    well figured out this morning that I have to stop letting him sleep on me because his cheeks get sweaty and that why they're getting scaly. With the oatmeal bath, do you just buy normal baby oatmeal or how does that work? I'm using the aveeno moisturizing cream that says it works on eczema, that's the only thing that helps at all.
  9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    che has it and we do not have cats. we use a cream that the doc gave her only when necessary.

but you may want to try this

we got bath oil ( they have a guy one dh loves called stone washed at walmart)

we also got moisturizing body wash and she soaks ( plays ) in the tub about once a week in the bath oil. this plus regularly lotioning them seems to help.

also avoid heavily perfumed lotions they have alchohol in them and actually harm more than help the skin.
    I feel the need to be petted too!
  10. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

well figured out this morning that I have to stop letting him sleep on me because his cheeks get sweaty and that why they're getting scaly. With the oatmeal bath, do you just buy normal baby oatmeal or how does that work? I'm using the aveeno moisturizing cream that says it works on eczema, that's the only thing that helps at all.
    Ever since I started using California Baby wash and lotion I swear by it. it's the only thing that has helped improve the eczema on my kids. They carry some of it at target. On the site they also sell Calandula cream which is great for eczema.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast