Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: A Few Pumping Questions

1. *Too Blessed To Be Stressed*
    *Too Blessed To Be Stressed*

Question A Few Pumping Questions

Advertisements
    Is it okay to pump right away? I plan on using bottles often so Josh and Jerron and my Mom can help with feedings as well as if we are out somewhere I don't feel comfortable BFing.
    How much can you expect to get? Do you feed him on one side and then pump the other or wait till between feedings?If you pump between feedings will your supply be low at the next feeding?
    How long does it usually take to be hooked up to the milk factory?

Sorry for so many questions!
  2. Silence is golden duct tape is silver :)
    Silence is golden duct tape is silver :)
    girl let me tell you when i do it i find i am still full for the next, hubs really enjoys pumping me so he will pump one side while i feed and then feed him the 1 oz that he just got out of my one side

when we first started doing it i was only getting a tablespoon full but now i am up to 1 oz
  3. Senior Member
    Yep, actually they say pumping before you give birth can start labor...

I didn't pump for the first time till I got out of the hospital so 5 days PP and I was getting more than 5oz per boob... witch is awesome! It only lasted about 2 weeks or so and then it got regulated to the normal 2-3oz per side.

I had a double pump so I just would pump both at the same time, you can use hair ties that you tie around your nursing bra and then wrap around the pump things so you dont have to hold them up(and you dont have to buy the expensive bras to do it).

I would BF and then pump and that was after BF-ing both girls for between 15-30 mins each and then pumping for another 15-20 mins and I was still able to get at leased 2oz out of each boob. Sometimes one boob will only give like 1.5 oz but thats ok. And I only pumped twice a day for the first 2 months and had tons of milk stored up in the fridge. Its best to pump really early in the morning like 2 am... but I never did, I would do it right when I woke up and then after the girls where in bed. I was never short on milk. I had more than enough, and was also waking up soaking wet most nights too.

You can get everything ready, your bra and hair ties hooked up, my Guinness beer next to me ready to drink and my laptop all set up in like 3 mins. Oh and a beer while you pump will make you have more milk... I dont know why but it does. I guess it loosens you up or something. The darker the beer the better. Which is why I always drank Guinness.
  4. *Too Blessed To Be Stressed*
    Thanks for all the awesome info!! Is it odd to go from being completely against trying for the past 6 years till waking up a week and a half ago and only wanting to do it? Im excited!!!
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by *~*Cori*~* View Post
    Thanks for all the awesome info!! Is it odd to go from being completely against trying for the past 6 years till waking up a week and a half ago and only wanting to do it? Im excited!!!
    You can so do it. The first month or two can be kinda hard since you have to feed your LO about every 2 hours so your really tired... but then after those first months its so much easier than bottle feeding and just easier in general!
  6. Senior Member
    You can start pumping immediately if you want to, but I usually recommend that moms spend a good 2 weeks exclusively nursing around the clock (as much as possible) to establish a good nursing relationship, a good supply and a good latch. Pumping can be stressful, and giving bottles too early can lead to nipple confusion.

If you do want to start pumping to start up a supply, I would pick a couple times that you pump every day. Since milk production is supply and demand, your body will recognize when it needs to produce more if you pump on schedule. I would say pump first thing in the morning and last thing in the evening maybe to start out with.

Good luck, I'm excited for you and happy that you decided to give it a shot! Have you looked into your local La Leche League? The meetings are a great support network, and its good to have a leaders number on hand if you need help at all!
  7. Damn it feels good to be a gangsta
    Damn it feels good to be a gangsta
    Quote Originally Posted by *~*Cori*~* View Post
    Is it okay to pump right away? I plan on using bottles often so Josh and Jerron and my Mom can help with feedings as well as if we are out somewhere I don't feel comfortable BFing.
    How much can you expect to get? Do you feed him on one side and then pump the other or wait till between feedings?If you pump between feedings will your supply be low at the next feeding?
    How long does it usually take to be hooked up to the milk factory?

Sorry for so many questions!
    I used bottles right away and Dawson never had a problem with nipple confusion or anything, although I wouldn't say this is the case with all babies. That just depends on the kiddo.

I got only a few ounces between both breasts for the first couple days then it was like a massive flood and I could easily get 3-4 oz off of each breast.

Usually i'd feed him on one side and then use the other side the next feeding. They filled up so quick that even an hour after feeding him I could pump a good 6oz for a bottle later or for that night etc.

With the Medela, it took me about 15 minutes (dual pump) for about a week but when the milk really came in I could get the majority out within 5 minutes or a little over. It was pretty darn fast!

8. *Too Blessed To Be Stressed*
    I hope I have that great luck with my pumping!
  9. Senior Member
    I pumped as soon as my milk came in. I needed some relief!!! I'm no expert so I don't now if I should have done that but I went on to BF both kiddos for a very long time with no issues.

I'm like you have boob issues. I don't like them touched/looked at. It just feels dirty. The first few attempts at BF were uncomfortable for me but once they got the hang of it my nipples started to hurt and it was much different experience. After about 3 weeks everything was all better and going smoothly.