Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Eating/Drinking/Meds and BFing?

1. *Too Blessed To Be Stressed*
    *Too Blessed To Be Stressed*

Question Eating/Drinking/Meds and BFing?

Advertisements
    Anyone have a list or know where I can see a list of recommended does and don'ts?
    I can't give up my sodas but I can do mostly caffeine free. The only way I can control my migraines off meds is with excedrin migraine and caffeine which helps sometimes. I have actual medication for it though to take when they are unbearable. What do I do? Migraine suffers what do you do? I get them alot especially in the summer for some reason.
    Also, I suffer from anxeity/depression. I hate meds but when I had Jerron I had to go back on them for PPD... Im worried with my state of mind and stress levels being alot worse off 6 yrs later I may need to cave and take them, but have no idea if you can and BF? I don't want my son to get sick.
    Any advice?
    What about normal things like tylenol or excedrin? I mean we all know pain killers after delivery is a nice thing. They gave me a prescription motrin after Jer but not narcotics. But, I will be honest my pain threshold is negative 150 lol so yea...
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    www.kellymom.com has a great resource
  3. *Too Blessed To Be Stressed*
    Thanks Jill!!
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    no problem. it can be a bit tough to navigate at times. also your doctor or la leche league can also help you out. i recommend talking to la leche league or a lactation counselor and start establishing a relationship. i also like The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding or The Breastfeeding Book
  5. Wah Its called life idiot
    Wah Its called life idiot
    Like with anything it's all about moderation with somethings. Don't drink a case of beer then nurse your kid. Any meds should always be checked with your dr, I was on a antidepressant with Sy that the studies said would be okay but the DR was strongly against it due to the serious side effects that could happen.

6. *Too Blessed To Be Stressed*
    I looked in the closest LLL and its like 2hrs away. I will be talking to my midwife next week and see if there is a BF class before I deliver and about the lactation consultants at the hospital and if I can talk to them before hand. Because the hospital I am giving birth at is over an hr away from where I live.
    I noticed on the list Zoloft and Paxil are approved okay. I was on Zoloft after I had Jer but it did nothing for me. I was on 100mgs and was a walking depressed zombie. I took Lexapro off and on since then but have an issue taking them because I hate being dependent on medication. I don't really drink at all but maybe a margarita or fruity drink out every few mths or a glass of wine at dinner when we are out so thats okay.
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    i've had a beer or a mike's lemonade thing and nurse about 30 minutes later and jennifer never seemed to have a problem. granted i didn't start doing that until jennifer was about 3 or 4 months old.
  8. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

Quote Originally Posted by *~*Cori*~* View Post
    I looked in the closest LLL and its like 2hrs away. I will be talking to my midwife next week and see if there is a BF class before I deliver and about the lactation consultants at the hospital and if I can talk to them before hand. Because the hospital I am giving birth at is over an hr away from where I live.
    I noticed on the list Zoloft and Paxil are approved okay. I was on Zoloft after I had Jer but it did nothing for me. I was on 100mgs and was a walking depressed zombie. I took Lexapro off and on since then but have an issue taking them because I hate being dependent on medication. I don't really drink at all but maybe a margarita or fruity drink out every few mths or a glass of wine at dinner when we are out so thats okay.

Hey Cori,
    I'm on lexapro right now, 10mg, for my anxiety issues and even though the pamphlet says not to use while preggo (last 3 mons) and b/f, my drs have assured me that it will be okay, especially since i'm on the lowest dose and the midwife i saw a month ago said to be on the lookout if the baby is sleepier than usual etc then we'll go from there. I will have to say that i had NO idea how your body becomes dependent on them until i missed almost a week of taking it (couldnt get to the pharmacy bc DH had school mon & wed and tues they were closed when he got there lol) and i kept having these weird jittery sensations in my head

I dont really drink alcohol either but like you, i'd like to have half a glass or some sips of something out at dinner, i'm sure
  9. *Too Blessed To Be Stressed*
    Thanks for that info Jamie! Thats the dose I was on/should be on.
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    I can't answer anything about the antiepressents but I can tell you that right now I am on Motrin 800, Percocet (almost off of that though, yay for healing up!), Colace, Metamucil, and they told me I could take Tylenol if I need it. I was also on Miralax and Milk of Magnesia for a bit, and Acidophilus, and they also sent me home with prenatals and an iron supplement but haven't been taking those b/c I've had enough trouble with constipation without adding the extra iron to it.. my bedside table looks like a pharmacy. Your doctor will be the one you'll want to check with, but I just wanted to throw out there that even BF'ing they can give you meds if you need them.