Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby cereal **Update in OP**

1. deployment #2: 1 month down!
    deployment #2: 1 month down!

Question Baby cereal **Update in OP**

Advertisements
    Can baby cereal, just normal rice cereal, cause problems with baby's sleep? Needless to say Matt didn't sleep well last night again. He woke up at 1:30, 3 and 4. Now it's 5:15 and he's still wide awake. He'd been sleeping at least 8 hours for the past month and a half or so. Anyway, he seemed ready for cereal since he was showing all the tell-tale signs but his sleeplessness coinsides perfectly with the time I started him on the cereal. He has his well baby check on the 15th (he's a little behind due to some nurse being an idiot, long story) so I'm thinking about going back to just formula and just talking to his doctor about the problem. But would it be the cereal or is this just a coincidence? Nothing else has changed. We're using all the same products (lotion, shampoo, wipes, etc.) we've been using, he's on the same formula, same bedtime and same bedtime pattern.

**UPDATE: well I didn't give him any cereal wednesday or since then and he's progressively gotten better. Night before last he slept almost all night, only waking up at 2 but going back to sleep once I gave him his paci. And last night he slept until 5:30 so I'm thinking he's just not ready for the cereal yet. I'm still going to talk to his pediatrician and explain what I did but I think I'll be waiting until he gets closer to 6 months to start trying solids again.
    Last edited by Brittany Rashel; 05-08-2009 at 07:04 AM.
  2. Senior Member
    It could be. Katie will be 5 months next week () and we have not done cereal and her sleeping schedule has not changed. I am really bad at remembering when growth spurts are also so it might be that.
  3. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    I think it's a coincidence. But who knows. Every child is different. Mine all slept longer when we started cereal.
  4. You Can't Hear The Music Until You Dance
    You Can't Hear The Music Until You Dance
    I agree, Wes slept better and longer once he started on cereal.
    But who knows - every child is different.
  5. Thank You Lord for Our Blessings!!!
    Thank You Lord for Our Blessings!!!
    I would say that he is probaly teething and that is what is messing with his sleep.

When Clayton is getting a tooth he doesn't sleep well at all but after this teeth break through than he goes back to normal.

Good Luck
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    It caused problems w/ our first one. I know it was thye cereal and we started too early.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  7. Senior Member
    I was going to say teething. Silas didn't show any symptoms besides drooling and chewing on his hands until right before his teeth actually came through. He was up every 2 hours.. which is NOT like him. I think it's just a coincidence.
  8. deployment #2: 1 month down!
    deployment #2: 1 month down!
    So should I keep giving him the cereal or stop until I can talk to his ped on the 15th?
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brittany Rashel View Post
    So should I keep giving him the cereal or stop until I can talk to his ped on the 15th?
    Did you start cereal on your own? or did the doctor recommend it?
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    He is only 4 months... maybe he isn't ready for more than formula yet? I know the new recommendation for 'solids' is to wait til 6 months now unless they show an interest.

I honestly don't know though... I know nothing about baby cereal.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast