Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Scared to attempt to BF...

1. *Too Blessed To Be Stressed*
    *Too Blessed To Be Stressed*

Confused Scared to attempt to BF...

Advertisements
    OK, I had completely written this off but I have this tugging urge to try it. Which is saying alot because it will involve overcoming my sickening feeling of my breasts... I get a dirty sick feeling when they are touched even by DH or some bras(stems from bad experience as a teenageer... ) So, I could never push that aside to try with Jerron and up till now had not wanted to with Logan. But, I think I will ask "what if" if I don't try...
    I just don't get it I guess. Maybe its natural and not rocket science but how do you do it? I heard its excrutiating. Will I pour milk if he is asleep and not ready to eat? What about DH? He is looking forward to the bonding of feeding the baby too and if I am wearing him 24/7 how will it work?
    I know I am 26 and should not be so stupid and clueless but Im just scared and worried... I am good at failing and I don't want to try and fail. I have a feeling I will try for a couple days and say screw it and give him formula because I just am a lazy sucky Mom.
  2. lord help us all!
    lord help us all!
    i will say IF you REALLY think you might want to, at least TRY! it was not painful for me at all. Logan took right to it. i never had to use the cream or anything. i know it can be difficult for some people. if it does start to become painful, you can buy nipple shields. they will help protect your nipple. while you are in the hospital, talk to a lactation consultant. they are great! and will gice you tips if you need them, and help you get the proper latch from your Logan. get a boppy or something similar. it really helps save my back.
  3. lord help us all!
    lord help us all!
    as for your DH, he will have many opportunities to bond with him. you don' thave to wear the baby 24/7. i never did. your DH can hold him between feedings, change diapers, put him in bed, get him up for night feedings, read to him, etc...
  4. *Too Blessed To Be Stressed*
    *Too Blessed To Be Stressed*
    When can you start pumping? And is it true not everyone can? I figure if I can make this work and can pump then Josh can feed Lo too.
  5. lord help us all!
    lord help us all!
    i had to pump as soonn as my milk came in. my boobs got sooooo engorged that Lo couldn't latch on, so i would pump a little before he could latch on. i have heard of people not being able to pump. i have no problems with it. i would just reccomend against a manual one! it killed my wrist. i ended up getting the miPUMP. from target. its pretty cheap and works well enough for what i need it for (i had to use it quite a bit after my gall bladder surgery, cause i wasn't allowed to pick Lo up or feed him). and i got the breast flow bottles. they are ssupposed to help prevent nipple confusion.
  6. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

i feel nervous about b/f too. I even dream about it! I didnt b/f with Jackson bc i worried about how it would affect things in the bedroom and i'm worried about that now too but i atleast want to try it out.

Btw im so jealous how far along your ticker is
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

You should talk with a lactation consultant about your questions or fears. I think you're right in thinking you should at least give it a try. If you're too uncomfortable, you will at least know you gave it your best shot and that is really all you can do.
  8. Senior Member
    I have fears about BF too. I didn't have a good experience when I tried to breast-feed with DS.
  9. Senior Member
    You can start pumping whenever you want to after your milk has come in..
    Be aware that it may make your body think you have twins, producing more milk. That is good tho as you can store your breastmilk in the freezer.

Warm the bottle in a pan of warm water or under running water not in the microwave as that can destroy some of the benefits of breastmilk and create hot spots or overly hot milk very quickly.

You can and probably will "leak" when you breast get full as you get closer to feeding time and when you sleep or even when you think about feeding time lol, but nursing pads and a well fitting nursing bra or sports bra when at home really helps.

You will probably need to have different nipples to try because some babies have a little more difficult time with the bottle nipples. Some prefer a softer nipple like the kind for premies, some a firmer flat or round nipple. It's all a trial until you find what works for you.

Pumping in the morning after he nurses (give some time after.) is usually a good time because you are more relaxed.
    http://militarysos.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8121&dateline=1213248817 TAKEN AT NISQUALLY WILDLIFE PRESERVE
  10. Loving Life!
    Loving Life!
    Blog Entries
    I think that if you think you 'might' want to try, then you should at least give it a try. You don't want to wonder about 'what if' I tried, or be upset because you didn't try.....KWIM??

My little Loves!
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast