Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Scared to attempt to BF...

1. Formerly "Chels"
    Formerly "Chels"
    Blog Entries
    Advertisements
    This may sound stupid because I am COMPLETELY dumb when it comes to breastfeeding, because I'm not going to do it...

BUT, if your hubby wants to help feed too, can't you use a pump and he can feed the baby with a bottle Was that a stupid thing to say? Like I said, I'm dumb with this stuff
  2. *Too Blessed To Be Stressed*
    *Too Blessed To Be Stressed*
    Not a stupid question at all I asked it too somewhere in here.
    Im just afraid I won't be able to pump... I have heard of some woman having issues, but if I can then I think that will work great for our family and Daddy feeding time.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chels View Post
    This may sound stupid because I am COMPLETELY dumb when it comes to breastfeeding, because I'm not going to do it...

BUT, if your hubby wants to help feed too, can't you use a pump and he can feed the baby with a bottle Was that a stupid thing to say? Like I said, I'm dumb with this stuff
    Not a stupid question at all. It is possible to pump and have hubby feed with a bottle. I never had problems pumping. I was always able to get a decent amount out...sometimes it would take a while though. My kids took the bottle of breastmilk fine from DH and my mom. I've never had to use formula for either child when I've left them for a few hours or even in general.

4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by *~*Cori*~* View Post
    Did any of you BFing Mom's NOT co-sleep? Because that is not an option at all for this family DH put his foot down years ago and is more adament now than ever. We do have a bassinet for beside the bed for the first few mths though...
    Corn Muffin sleeps in her Pack n Play by my side of the bed. Every once in a while I will sleep on my back with her on my chest but we don't usually sleep with her in the bed with us, because we both roll around and move a lot in our sleep, especially DH. But, I like having her here by the side of the bed because I can check on her easily and it's so much easier and faster with feeding and diapers in the middle of the night, b/c we're not having to go to another room and stuff, everyone can just get back to sleep easier and faster. I am planning on keeping her in here until she doesn't wake up needing diapers/feeding in the night anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by AlleyKat View Post
    With me my nipples were just a bit sore at the beginning when the baby was still learning how to latch on properly. When my milk initially came in it was a bit uncomfortable until my body knew how much to make. BF is actually really easy once you get used to it. Its always there and always the right temperature. I think its great that you want to give it a try. Just dont give up right away because the first weeks might be a bit difficult but it really does get easy. Good luck!
    This is me too. I got really lucky, Muffin too to nursing like a pro right after she was born. She latched on right away and nursed great and we've just had a really easy time of it. I haven't gotten really engorged. I just had the little bit of soreness at first.

I was worried too at first about DH not being able to be involved with feedung Muffin but we've found ways to work around it for him to be involved. Obviously he can't actually feed her but what we do is this. I feed her on one breast. Then DH will take her and burp her and change her diaper while I get ready for her to nurse off the other breast, then he will check her diaper and cuddle her after I'm done. Stuff like that.
  5. *Too Blessed To Be Stressed*
    *Too Blessed To Be Stressed*
    How do you know when to switch breasts? That sound like a stupid question.
    How do you know they are getting enough? I don't want to starve him.
    How much do you normally pump out? Enough for a bottle? I am worried about being able to pump enough for like the 8 oz bottles when he gets bigger.
    Maybe I worrying too much.
  6. Senior Member
    I just am a lazy sucky Mom.
    I'm too lazy to bottle feed Really that takes more work, I'd have to go to the store, mix bottles, more dishes. Mix bottles in the middle of the night etc. I'm lazy. He wakes up hungry I pull him into the bed snuggle up and nurse him. It is ready to go and the right temperature. No yucky bottle that I find under the couch growing stuff in it
    Hopefully a nipple shield will work for you. I didn't read all of the post but I did glimpse nipple shield in the first post as I read yours.
    PM me if you have questions, I have 3.5 years of nursing experience
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    How do you know when to switch breasts? That sound like a stupid question.
    How do you know they are getting enough? I don't want to starve him.
    How much do you normally pump out? Enough for a bottle? I am worried about being able to pump enough for like the 8 oz bottles when he gets bigger.
    Maybe I worrying too much.
    I feed 10 minutes on each side so I time it and switch after 10 minutes. She doesn't usually even finish 10 minutes in the other side before she's done.
    I know she's getting enough b/c she's gaining weight like a champ. My mom says if they aren't getting enough nd are failing to thrive it will be obvious very quickly.
    I don't pump yet so no idea.
  8. Senior Member
    I think giving breastfeeding a try is great, Cori!
    Does your hospital or OB offer any breastfeeding classes?
    Also, the hospital should have a lactation consultant that can help you get started after you have the baby.

I breastfed my son for 4 months, and I plan on nursing Josefine for at least a year.
    It never interfered with DH bonding with our son. He would hold him, play with him and it was never an issue. There is more to caring for a baby than feeding, so if he helps out with the other stuff I'm sure he will bond just fine.

I never switched breasts during feedings. I would feed from one breast and he would just eat from that one, and stop when he was full. If he'd end up draining that breast, I would then switch him over to the other breast, but usually one breast per feeding was enough.

I did not pump with DS, but I do plan on getting a pump this time and pumping a little here and there so that if I have to go somewhere and leave baby with DH or a sitter (when she is older) she can still get breastmilk.

I knew he was getting enough because he'd be content after a feeding, and he was gaining weight. Another way to tell easily if they are getting enough is wet and dirty diapers.

Kellymom.com is a great site that has tons of articles and information on breastfeeding and I think they address a lot of your concerns there.
  9. lord help us all!
    lord help us all!
    Did any of you BFing Mom's NOT co-sleep? Because that is not an option at all for this family DH put his foot down years ago and is more adament now than ever. We do have a bassinet for beside the bed for the first few mths though...
    i did NOT co sleep. co-sleeping scares the shit out of me! i was way too scared of rolling, and i have to have my thousands of pillows! i used a bassinet though. he has since moved into his own room
  10. lord help us all!
    lord help us all!
    How do you know when to switch breasts?

i feed him on the first until he seems less interested in it, burp him and switch sides.

How do you know they are getting enough?

i know he gets enough when he's happy and content after a feeding. he's not fussy. and i could see the weight gain! he's such a chunker now. usually if the baby is not getting enough, you WILL know. they will fuss and want to eat ALL the time. and Lo has so many wet and dirty diapers i have never wondered if he's getting enough...there is plenty of proof!

it depends. when i wake up from engorgement, and its a couple hours before Lo wakes up i will pump about 6 ozs from each breast, and there is still plenty to feed him when he wakes up. when he moves up to the larger bottles, your breasts will be producing more milk to keep up with what he's been eating. when i was in the hospital i was pumping about 16 ozs at one pumping session!!! but i am like a dairy cow. i still have a decent stash from that left.

and if you do BF and continue to do it, just know that when they go through their growth spurts, it can be rough. when Lo had his first big one after my milk had regulated some, i thought my milk was drying up. he was trying to eat more for the growth spurt and my body was still adjusting to that. so don't freak if it happens, just nurse him on demand during this time.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast