Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Constipation?

Constipation?

Advertisements
    Its always something I tell you! This time, I think Cameron is constipated.

When hes trying to poop he gets CRAZY!! He just screams and screams and turns red and SCREAMS, and it takes hours for him to actually poop.

His poop is still soft, its not hard, but im not sure if thats normal.

Is there anything I can do to help him? Im already giving him gas drops, they may help a little, but not much. Hes only 4 weeks old, so theres not much I can give him.

HELP....PLEASE!!!

2. Senior Member
    i have no idea, i always bounced ellie on her belly on my legs, she pooped soon er or later..

is your baby breastfed? they can go longer if they are but i dont know about the pain when your LO is trying!

something my grandmother told me worked for her children, but i havent tried it on ellie, and probably wont: she would shave a bar of soap small and insert it inside her kids and it would come out. kind of like a baby enema. im not trying it though!!

3. Damn it feels good to be a gangsta
    Damn it feels good to be a gangsta
    Dawson is the same way :
    I have nothing to help. But i'll be watching this thread to see if anyone else has suggestions....
    My pediatrician said it was just because of an immature digestive tract and they can't really coordinate the muscle movements to poop, they just feel pressure. but eventually by 2 months they get the hang of it.

4. deployment #2: 1 month down!
    deployment #2: 1 month down!
    he's not constipated. If he was then his poop would be like a hard ball. Most babies have difficulty pooping. How often is he pooping? Matt used to not poop for about a week and have difficulty going when he did. His doc said that as long as he was 2 months or older I could give him an oz of apple juice for every month he was twice a day (ie. he was 2 months so he got 2 oz twice a day). It really worked.

I just noticed he was only 4 weeks, try a warm bath or rubbing his tummy clockwise. Or when he's trying to poop try pumping his legs like a bicycle. It helps to get things moving.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon Marie View Post
    Dawson is the same way :
    I have nothing to help. But i'll be watching this thread to see if anyone else has suggestions....
    My pediatrician said it was just because of an immature digestive tract and they can't really coordinate the muscle movements to poop, they just feel pressure. but eventually by 2 months they get the hang of it.
    Im thinking we gave birth to the same child!! LOL.

6. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    emilynn has difficulty as well, we take her feet and pull them towards her tummy like she is sitting indian style, and pull her but cheeks apart. it really helps.
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I also hear that pushing their legs like they were riding a bicycle helps get things moving, too.

Miranda, mama to Ricky (12), Simon (5), Charlie (2), & Kevin (9)

8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Look up baby massage... we do that with molly because she has such bad gas and it seems to help her... it should also help with pooping.

And it is true that your baby just has an immature system that he is trying to get used to... eventually he'll get it figured out. If you ARE worried, definitely talk to your pediatrician.

I don't recommend you put anything up the bum or your baby will have a MUCH harder time learning to poop without help.... you don't want a toddler trying to potty train who needs to you always do something for them.

I also don't recommend using juice or anything at such a young age unless your ped says it is okay and nothing else works... their tummy is so small that you want to make sure that whatever goes in it is food that is helping them to grow... a bit of juice and there won't be space for milk which is what he really needs.

Bicycling the legs and pressure on the stomach should also help too. Molly likes resting on daddy's shoulder almost tipped over his back or held by me facing forward with my arms secured around her tummy (hand down holding the crotch area for support) and around her chest. That also helps when she is just fussy when coupled with bouncing/walking.

if your baby really does truly seem to be in pain, there is a slight chance that something could be wrong with the digestive tract. This is unlikely, but again, if you are truly worried about it (doesn't sound like constipation to ME and I don't know what 'scream' means to you... we all have our own ideas for our babies haha) then definitely talk to your ped and see if there is anything that can be done to ensure your little one is okay.

Try not to stress too much though... remember that babies cry for a million different reasons and it may seem like he is crying over poop... but he could just be unhappy about something else too. I'm still figuring out Molly's cries... if she weren't so good with schedules for food and sleep, I'd be completely lost still.