Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: No Nap? Standing up!

1. You Can't Hear The Music Until You Dance
    You Can't Hear The Music Until You Dance

Confused No Nap? Standing up!

Advertisements
    Help!

My 8 1/2 month old son will not take a nap. He just learnt to pull up to standing this past week and as soon as we lay him in his crib, he just stands up.

We've lowered his crib, and we try and we encourage him to stand as much as possible during his "waking" hours.

He is EXHAUSTED and normally takes 2x 1 1/2 hour naps a day - plus sleeps 10 1/2 - 11 hours at night. These last few days, I'm lucky if I can get him to sleep for 1x 1 1/2 hour nap (usually in the car or stroller, because he is strapped down and can't stand up!) and about 9 hours at night.

I've been putting him down and leaving him in his crib for the entire "nap time" - he's not crying or anything - but he's not sleeping. I figured if he was tired enough, he'd just go to sleep - that's what he has been doing at night (standing up for like an hour after we put him to bed, then going to off to sleep - and he usually goes to sleep on his own. We always put him down awake)

HOW LONG does this novelty period of standing last and will he go back to normal once it passes? Or does anyone have any tips or tricks to help my baby boy wind down and go to sleep when put in his crib?
  2. Senior Member
    Is he cutting teeth? My DD refuses to nap when she is cutting teeth (like now) but goes back to two naps a day once they break through.
  3. You Can't Hear The Music Until You Dance
    Yes, but they aren't bothering him (surprisingly) and he usually sleeps quite well when he is cutting teeth (maybe thanks to the baby motrin?)

I am fairly sure it's the novelty of just learning to stand up, seeing as the lack of sleep coincided with this new skill. He was this way, but no where NEAR as bad, when he was learning to crawl.

He is exhausted and so am I. And I don't know what to do, or how long it will last!
  4. I was a GREAT mom... until I had kids.
    I was a GREAT mom... until I had kids.
    Blog Entries
    Their sleep patterns can change as they get older for lots of reasons.. such as learning a new skill. I'm going to jump to say that he's not exhausted, cause if he was, he'd sleep the entire "normal" nap time.

Let his patterns change and get him up when he wakes up. That's what I do with Alexis and she is fine.

5. You Can't Hear The Music Until You Dance
    We got Wesley to take TWO naps today I hope this means we're on our way back to normal (whatever that is with an 8 month old?)
    Let's hope that all this extra standing up practice time is making the novelty wear off.
    (We've also been trying to keep him really busy - taking him to the playground etc to wear him out!)
  6. Finally Happy <3
    Finally Happy &amp;amp;lt;3
    Bring him over and the boys can wear themselves out!!!! LOL
    Gearing up for deployment #2