Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I might have to quit

1. Damn it feels good to be a gangsta
    Damn it feels good to be a gangsta

Neutral I might have to quit

Advertisements
    Breastfeeding that is. Dawson has really bad reflux and can't keep breastmilk down at all becaue it is so thin. I've tried and tried and it just comes right back up. He's almost 3 weeks old and just this week got back to his birth weight. He is gaining really slowly and although he is still considered healthy, he is definetly borderline and needs to start chunking up. We have been supplementing with Enfamil AR and he loves it (i can't see why, it stinks to high heaven) and has very little trouble with it and keeps it down.

Friday he is getting weighed again, and depending on how much he has gained I may end up switching him to formula exclusively. That makes me a bit sad. To be hoenst i really wasn't looking forward to breastfeeding but now that I may end up stopping far before my 6 month goal i'm bummed.

The doc did tell me that if I wanted to breastfeed still we could put him on Reglan to keep him from losing it but he's already on Prevacid and I don't want him to have a list of drugs to take and not even be a month old, you know?

2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Have you cut things out of your diet? That effects him. I had to and baby is growing finally. He had sever acid reflux.

Although, it sounds like you already made your decision. Good luck to you.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    good luck. as long as your baby is fed do not feel guilty.
  4. Damn it feels good to be a gangsta
    Quote Originally Posted by DakotaCowgirl View Post
    Have you cut things out of your diet? That effects him. I had to and baby is growing finally. He had sever acid reflux.

Although, it sounds like you already made your decision. Good luck to you.
    I have been very careful of what I eat. It comes back up within minutes of getting it down. And not just a little "spit up" either, like the whole boob's worth is all over him and me. And I burp him frequently to avoid it but it isn't working.

5. deployment #2: 1 month down!
    deployment #2: 1 month down!
    You know what's best for your baby. You gave it your best and since it's just not possible, don't feel guilty.
  6. Banned
    Banned
    well some babies just can't handle just breastmilk. My oldest had to have formula with cereal in it be/c of his acid reflux. it's perfectly fine to FF, just as long as he is eating and gaining weight.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon Marie View Post
    I have been very careful of what I eat. It comes back up within minutes of getting it down. And not just a little "spit up" either, like the whole boob's worth is all over him and me. And I burp him frequently to avoid it but it isn't working.
    He may be allergic to what you are eating. Acid refux is triggered by:

citruc, onions, wheat, caffeine, milk, carbonation, spicy foods, plus you have the gassy foods like beans, brocolli, and cauliflower.

Plus, baby needs to be upright lots of the time to keep the acid down. Raising the head of the bed up.

Talk w/ your dr. You should try the liquid prevacid. Did wonders to my baby.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  8. You may call me "Lippy"
    You may call me "Lippy"
    You already know this but...Do what you feel is right for you and baby. Try not to feel bad about switching to formula if that is what you decide is best. I agree with you that more medication for the baby would make me feel a bit anxious. I have a very limited milk supply due to a previous surgery and knew after trying in the hospital that breastfeeding was not going to work for me and Peanut. I talked to lactation consultants and everything. Peanut is on Similac Advanced with Iron and she is doing well so far. By formula feeding, I am more confident and relaxed when I feed her and I know she can feel it.

I know you will decide what is best for you and Dawson.
    I would like to be with my for a while but thats what made me so tired in the first place!
  9. Damn it feels good to be a gangsta
    Quote Originally Posted by DakotaCowgirl View Post
    He may be allergic to what you are eating. Acid refux is triggered by:

citruc, onions, wheat, caffeine, milk, carbonation, spicy foods, plus you have the gassy foods like beans, brocolli, and cauliflower.

Plus, baby needs to be upright lots of the time to keep the acid down. Raising the head of the bed up.

Talk w/ your dr. You should try the liquid prevacid. Did wonders to my baby.
    Again i've been really careful about what I eat. I hold him upright for almost an hour after each feeding, but it comes up no matter his position.

But I will ask the doc about the liquid prevacid. sounds promising.

10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    You know what I found to help A LOT with the 'reflux'? Burping. Like FREQUENT. Let him eat for two minutes, stop, burp. Repeat.

Out of my 4 kiddos, three of them were very, very refluxy (my boys all were).

The first two, we switched to formula thinking it would help, and it didn't help as much as we thought. Actually Hunter had more issues later on, even though they seemed to improve at first.

What I did find to help more than anything was burping very, very frequently.

Also, after each feeding, keep him at an upward angle, and don't move him around much.

Chase has tried some formula and the formula actually seemed to trigger the reflux worse than my breastmilk does. I think most babies who are refluxy will be refluxy, regardless, and I do believe based on personal experience, that BM tends to be easier on their throats and bodies if they are regurgitating it back up.

You could definitely give the formula a try, I'm just telling you my experiences since I've done just about everything between my three boys. I think some babies are just refluxy no matter what you do, and a lot of times, formula won't be a magic cure all. Although, I definitely understand your frustration and eagerness to find something to help. Usually, by a year, the reflux issues are MUCH better. So, hang in there
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast