Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lots of questions and could use some help

1. You may call me "Lippy"
    You may call me "Lippy"

Confused Lots of questions and could use some help

Advertisements
    Hey ladies,

I know I have been missing but Maddie's been home for a couple of days now and all I can say is "wow". I have no experience with babies and I think it is starting to show. I haven't gotten the hang of the "sleep when she sleeps" thing yet. My legs and ankles have swollen so large that I think they look like they belong to a Cabbage Patch Doll. I think DH is afraid of the baby so I'm doing a lot of the work and he is watching. I know he is trying but I still feel like 90% of baby upkeep falls to me. It is WAY harder than I thought it would be. I have some questions and I'm hoping you ladies can help me with them. I went to the pediatrician this morning, so I know everything is okay healthwise with Peanut. She is 5 days old.

1 - Her days and nights are backwards. Any good tricks on how to cope until she starts to learn the difference?

2 - She started having a lot of "eye boogers" today in one eye. (After we left the pediatrician of course!) Is this normal too?

3 - She's shedding like a snake all over. It's really weird but I keep hearing it is normal?

Thanks so much ladies. I think I need a nap and a Motrin.
    I would like to be with my for a while but thats what made me so tired in the first place!
  2. Formerly known as stapletonlove
    Formerly known as stapletonlove
    Im bumping this for you so I can get some advice, if my little one ever decides to come out lol

3. Gained a child but lost my sanity!
    Gained a child but lost my sanity!
    The days & nights thing will work itself out but a way to help is to go ahead and start a bedtime routine. Other than that you really do just have to sleep whenever you can- leave her with daddy for an hour, he will realize he won't break her!

Not sure about the eye boogers- I would call & talk to a nurse.

The peeling is totally normal & will last for a while- just imagine what your skin would do if you sat in a tub for 9 months!!
  4. Captain's Wife
    Captain's Wife
    Blog Entries
    girl - i have been there! you sound like you are doing awesome!
    hubby will come around - he's watching how wonderful you are doing and learning himself

days and nights mixed up - well try not to let her sleep long - wake her. also dont turn on lights at night to feed her - dont change her unless she absolutely needs it - the more you move her around she will think its time to play. honestly, you may just have to let her figure it out on her own - thats what i did with jack.
  5. deployment #2: 1 month down!
    deployment #2: 1 month down!
    Quote Originally Posted by jojojo View Post
    hubby will come around - he's watching how wonderful you are doing and learning himself

days and nights mixed up - well try not to let her sleep long - wake her. also dont turn on lights at night to feed her - dont change her unless she absolutely needs it - the more you move her around she will think its time to play. honestly, you may just have to let her figure it out on her own - thats what i did with jack.
    NO! Don't force a newborn to stay awake. They will naturally adjust. Newborns need ALOT of sleep. Just keep things dark at night and don't talk to her when feeding at night. It's going to be hard for the first month or so while she is adjusting to life outside the womb but it will get easier the more time goes on.

Matt had alot of peeling skin, all babies will have it especially if they were overdue. It will go away. Just give it some time.
  6. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Brittany Rashel View Post
    NO! Don't force a newborn to stay awake. They will naturally adjust. Newborns need ALOT of sleep. Just keep things dark at night and don't talk to her when feeding at night. It's going to be hard for the first month or so while she is adjusting to life outside the womb but it will get easier the more time goes on.

Matt had alot of peeling skin, all babies will have it especially if they were overdue. It will go away. Just give it some time.
    my girl Brittany FTW. You really need to try to sleep when she does, even if it for just 30 mins. little power naps will do you a world of good. just laying down with nothing in your arms will do you a world of good. Make sure you get a shower everyday, mostly so you can feel better and relaxed. You have to keep taking care of yourself as well. make dh hold her if you can just to give you a break and give him bonding time as well. It's just be/c she's little. My FIL is the SAME way. he freaks out with little ones.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brittany Rashel View Post

totally agree with the bolded...when my dd was little we tried that and after reading Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Baby I figured out that every 2 hours she needed to be down for a nap and to be put to bed early...so once that started and she got naps every 2 hrs and was in bed for the night at 6pm she slept through the night and has been happy since...with ds we started that WAY earlier.
  8. Senior Member
    1 - Her days and nights are backwards. Any good tricks on how to cope until she starts to learn the difference?
    I dont think we did anything they just adjusted.

2 - She started having a lot of "eye boogers" today in one eye. (After we left the pediatrician of course!) Is this normal too?
    I dont know if your breastfeeding, but (and this really works) if you are and if your not try and sqeeze out a bit, and put it on her eye, where she is getting the boogies and it will go away, I promise!

3 - She's shedding like a snake all over. It's really weird but I keep hearing it is normal?
    Yep totally normal, when they are born they have that layer of something or other and it is just coming off... plus when babies are born they have very very sensitive skin.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jojojo View Post

Very true... took me about a month to realize that the reason the girls where waking up so much at night is because I kept changing their diapers, even if they didn't need it, and turning the lights on.
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by kimly View Post
    I dont think we did anything they just adjusted.

I dont know if your breastfeeding, but (and this really works) if you are and if your not try and sqeeze out a bit, and put it on her eye, where she is getting the boogies and it will go away, I promise!

Yep totally normal, when they are born they have that layer of something or other and it is just coming off... plus when babies are born they have very very sensitive skin.
    the day and night thing will work itself out, but some advice given to me was start keeping the light on when she naps during the day and keeping everything really dark at night. Also during the day don't "try and be quiet" once she gets a little older and more curious she will want to stay away during the day to see what's going on. Then she will associate the night with sleep because it's quiet.

to the bolded it is absolutely true. My nephew's pediatrician told her breast milk is the cure all for babies.

Just little tips, hope they help!
    Last edited by proud HT wife; 04-28-2009 at 10:54 PM. Reason: typo
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast