Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not just the midnight feeding...

1. Damn it feels good to be a gangsta
    Damn it feels good to be a gangsta

Question Not just the midnight feeding...

Advertisements
    I know all kids are different but all i've heard is that babies wake up in the middle of the night, wanting changed and fed or what have you then go back to bed. Maybe this is yet another misconception I somehow got a hold of.

Dawson is totally not the eat-and-back-to-bed type. When he is up he wants to be UP! I change him and feed him and he is wide spankin awake for at least a good hour and a half.

I've heard of getting days and nights mixed up but he is pretty good during the day i really don't think he is confused. He's just a night owl.

Anyone else got a kid like this?

2. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

That is common. The best thing you can do is keep it dark when you feed and change him. Stay quiet and don't make a lot of eye contact with him. The less he has to stimulate him, the easier it'll be to get him back to sleep.
  3. Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Caimbrie View Post
    That is common. The best thing you can do is keep it dark when you feed and change him. Stay quiet and don't make a lot of eye contact with him. The less he has to stimulate him, the easier it'll be to get him back to sleep.
    definitely!!

this helps us a lot with Nathanial

4. I was a GREAT mom... until I had kids.
    I was a GREAT mom... until I had kids.
    Blog Entries
    Also, if he doesn't need to be changed, sometimes it's best to not change them. There would be times Alexis would be half asleep while she was eating, then I'd change her, and she'd be WIDE wake. Her ped said if she doesn't need to be changed (isn't a poopy diaper or she isn't prone to rashes) then there's no need to change her and wake her up.

5. Gained a child but lost my sanity!
    Gained a child but lost my sanity!
    At that age DS was the exact same but now he will only stay up about 5 minutes after I put him back down. Like was said earlier- keep it dark, that made a big difference for us. The other thing to try is to change him as soon as you get him up instead of waiting. That will give him time to fall back asleep before you try and put him down again.
  6. Damn it feels good to be a gangsta
    Damn it feels good to be a gangsta
    Quote Originally Posted by Caimbrie View Post
    well i FAIL. i guess watching tv out in the living room with the lights on was not a good idea now. sounds obvious now. how embarassing.

Quote Originally Posted by msemmaleahx3 View Post
    Also, if he doesn't need to be changed, sometimes it's best to not change them. There would be times Alexis would be half asleep while she was eating, then I'd change her, and she'd be WIDE wake. Her ped said if she doesn't need to be changed (isn't a poopy diaper or she isn't prone to rashes) then there's no need to change her and wake her up.

i was wondering about that...sometimes I think "i should probably change him" but I know he isn't really messy but i'm so afraid of him getting a rash. but at the same time that is like a gurantee of another hour at least before he goes back to sleep.

7. Senior Member
    When my son was a baby I did not change him at night unless he had pooped or peed through his diaper. We had no problems with rashes.
    I would just feed him and we'd both go back to sleep. I would feed him in bed since I bf and didn't have to get up at all.
  8. Senior Member
    In prenatal classes they told us that when our newborn wakes up or it's time for a feeding, change him/her then because they usually fall back asleep while feeding and then you can just put him/her down.
    Obviously I have yet to test this magical theory.

9. Senior Member
    We had this problem with dd when we first brought her home.

I started only turning on the bathroom light and crack the door. Also I would not change her if she was just wet, which was not until she got a little older. I did not talk to her either because it stimulated her and she would be fully awake then.

Hope that helps.

Wife To Michael ~10-17-98~
    Momma To Eric ~9-19-06~
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    I nurse Muffin on one breast, then change her, then the other breast, then put herb back down. She usually needs to cuddle or rock for a minute but she goes right back to sleep. I also keep it as dark as possible. That's worked well so far for me, but she's also still pretty new.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast