Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Open wide!

1. Damn it feels good to be a gangsta
    Damn it feels good to be a gangsta

Help Open wide!

Advertisements
    I know this breastfeeding thing takes time and Dawson has only been around a whole 2 days () BUT we are having a heck of a time figuring out latching on. The lactation consultant is coming by today but I was just curious....

Our biggest problem is Dawson just not opening up wide enough. He gets the nipple and thats about it. Then the kid just stares at me instead of sucking. And he knows how to suck dangit cause he sucks the heck out of my finger when i have that sweet ease stuff on it.

I'm trying to take it all in stride but I can't figure out how to make him open up. We've tried pulling down on his lower lip, I tease his lips and such with nipple. What else?

2. His Buttafli
    His Buttafli
    I was going to suggest teasing the lip also but sometimes you have to help them out a long the way with DD she latched on like a champ right after delivery but then by the next day it was like she totally forgot or something and when she latched on it hurt like hell! I'm sure the lactation consultant will have loads of suggestions for you. You definitely want to make sure he's latching on correctly so that he can eat and not only that so you don't have to deal with the pain!
    Banned
    Have you tried a nipple shield? That's what my sister used and she said it helped a lot.
  4. Senior Member
    What is the sweet ease?

One thing I did with DS is put his whole face against my breast. It sounds mean but a LLL consultant told me to do it. It causes them to open their mouth.

Nipple shields were my lifesavers for both babies. you can get them at target
  5. Damn it feels good to be a gangsta
    Quote Originally Posted by I <3 ACK View Post
    Have you tried a nipple shield? That's what my sister used and she said it helped a lot.
    i have and that is actually the only time he has ever latched on successfully. BUT it is still really hard to get him to open wide enough for the nipple shield and keep it in too. kind of the same problem, but it is easier that is for sure!

6. deployment #2: 1 month down!
    deployment #2: 1 month down!
    I agree with Jill. I have flat nipples and always had to use a nipple shield. Matt just couldn't latch. They are fairly cheap (I think about 7 or 8 dollars) at target.
  7. Senior Member
    i had a heck of a time getting the latch down! i think it was 4 days old before we finally were able to breastfeed. the nurses in nicu had already started feeding her formula without asking me.

one thing i did was tickle her under chin and cheeks. and put her face all the way up to my boob.. and also once my milk came in i squeezeda little so some milk would be on the nipple and she could smell it

you can do it!!

8. Damn it feels good to be a gangsta
    thanks girls! the lactation consultant came by and i think we really got it down! well, minor things but he's eating!

9. Sesa Wo Suban
    Sesa Wo Suban
    I'm glad you saw an LC. I always pulled my babes mouths open with my finger on their chin and then put their head to my breast to make them open wide. Good luck! BF'ing takes practice.
  10. Married to my hero!
    Married to my hero!
    I'm glad you got it down! When my mom had me my mouth was way to tiny to even breastfed at all so she had to pump and bottle feed me with it!