Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: starting solids

1. and still I think of you
    and still I think of you
    Blog Entries

starting solids

Advertisements
    What age did you start your LO on solids? Did you do 3 "meals" a day in addition to their other feedings? Also, when will/did you introduce juice? Did you introduce it in a bottle or sippy cup?

Bella is getting close to 5 months and is EBF and we just started oatmeal yesterday. I plan to over the next month or so get her eating a breakfast, lunch, dinner and bedtime snack in addition to her nursing. Just curious how other people do solids. Once she is completely on solids I will start giving her a sippy cup with diluted juice.
  2. and still I think of you
    and still I think of you
    Blog Entries
  3. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

Quote Originally Posted by GeronimoPrincess View Post
    What age did you start your LO on solids? Did you do 3 "meals" a day in addition to their other feedings? Also, when will/did you introduce juice? Did you introduce it in a bottle or sippy cup?

Bella is getting close to 5 months and is EBF and we just started oatmeal yesterday. I plan to over the next month or so get her eating a breakfast, lunch, dinner and bedtime snack in addition to her nursing. Just curious how other people do solids. Once she is completely on solids I will start giving her a sippy cup with diluted juice.

Jack was started at 4mons with stage 1 stuff, and at 6mons he was getting his 3 meals a day. Jack had juice at 3mons for constipation issues. I introduced it in a bottle mixed with water. At 6-7mons we did the sippy mixed with water.
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    WIC and our Doc recommended waiting until 6 mos before we start juice and plain cereal, then slowly introducing more foods.
  5. and still I think of you
    and still I think of you
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by *~Robyn~* View Post
    WIC and our Doc recommended waiting until 6 mos before we start juice and plain cereal, then slowly introducing more foods.
    see things have changed since my oldest baby. I was told 4 months with her. Then with Bella, they said between 4 -6 months.

Thanks ladies
  6. My milkshake feeds all the kids in the yard...
    My milkshake feeds all the kids in the yard...
    for a breastfed baby, nothing is nutritionally necessary until the end of the first year, so any solids added to her diet should be ON TOP OF her normal feedings. at this stage in the game, solids are more for exploring new tastes and textures than for nutrients. she will probably not take more than a teaspoon or so at first. don't be alarmed if it takes a while before she is really consuming a lot of solids. until she is one year old, breastmilk should be the vast majority of her diet.

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/solids.html

as for our personal experience, Evan never ate cereal or mush foods, he started in on self-feeding cereal, pieces of fruit and soft vegetables at around 10 1/2 months. solids didn't "outweigh" breastmilk in his diet until he was close to 2 years old, which is perfectly normal!
    LaSageFemme
  7. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

I started DD on soilds about 5 mths ago, she is 7 1/2 mths now and has 1 solids feed a day (the 4oz jar). I don't give her juice every day, I think only like once a week. She had BM ever 3-4 hrs during the day and will go 8-10 hrs at night

8. X
    X
    Quote Originally Posted by LaSageFemme View Post
    for a breastfed baby, nothing is nutritionally necessary until the end of the first year, so any solids added to her diet should be ON TOP OF her normal feedings. at this stage in the game, solids are more for exploring new tastes and textures than for nutrients. she will probably not take more than a teaspoon or so at first. don't be alarmed if it takes a while before she is really consuming a lot of solids. until she is one year old, breastmilk should be the vast majority of her diet.

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/solids.html

as for our personal experience, Evan never ate cereal or mush foods, he started in on self-feeding cereal, pieces of fruit and soft vegetables at around 10 1/2 months. solids didn't "outweigh" breastmilk in his diet until he was close to 2 years old, which is perfectly normal!

With Zoe we started around 7-8 months with solids but BM was always her main source of nutrition. Kaia will be 6 months on the 16th and I don't have any plans of starting solids any time soon. We also don't do juice, just water!
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

The twins have both had spoonfed rice cereal, but Scout has reflux and takes it in his bottle anyway, and Ev is very ready to try foods(showing interest, etc). We do this as "breakfast" along with their regular formula. I have let them try a few veggies, but I have no plans to do full-time solids at all until at least a few months from now(they are a little over 5 months atm).
  10. I was a GREAT mom... until I had kids.
    I was a GREAT mom... until I had kids.
    Blog Entries
    We started Alexis around 6 1/2 months or so.. She never enjoyed cereal, so we went right to the fruits and veggies. We were doing 3 meals a day, but she's been sick for the past 2-3 weeks, so it's been on delay a bit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast