Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Brandi (or anyone who has done night time supplementing)

1. and still I think of you
    and still I think of you
    Blog Entries

Question Brandi (or anyone who has done night time supplementing)

Advertisements
    I remember a while back you saying you were going to start supplementing Chase at night to help him sleep longer. How is that going? I just started giving Bella a bottle at night and even after the formula (about an hour later) she still wants to nurse. I have been pumping to have the boob pretty empty for her cause it is not for the milk but for the comfort. KWIM? After that she eats two hours later and then sleeps for 3-4 hours.

I want to add a second bottle in but in the middle of the night, I wont be able to pump and then give her the boob for comfort. Did Chase do that? Just want to suck for the comfort after the bottle of formula? Bella will not take a paci for me for longer than a minute or two.
  2. and still I think of you
    and still I think of you
    Blog Entries
  3. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

When i had to supplement due to low supply I started doing it at night first. Zayne already slept the night though, so I'm not much help I remember seeing Brandi say that Chase was sleeping a LOT better though. Supplementing hurt my supply even more though He started rejecting the boob and even though I was pumping every 2 hours all day it wasn't getting my supply up because the pump isn't effecient for me. I just stopped BF'ing 3 days ago because of it Now my boobs are so hard they feel like they are going to explode.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Hey!

It's actually going really well for us. Pretty much since the very first night that I decided to give him a bottle, he put himself on a little schedule that is about fifty thousand times better than what he was doing.

Prior to me giving him any formula, he nursed around the clock, 24 hours a day, about every hour or two. Which I don't mind so much during the day but only getting an hour of sleep at a time was absolutely killing me. So, as soon as Jason got home, I decided I would give it a whirl.

Well, night 1, he slept from 930pm til about 3am, woke up to nurse, then went back to sleep for three more hours.

Night 2, he slept from 9pm til 4:30am, got up to nurse, went back to sleep for another 2-3 hours.

Then pretty much every night since then, I feed him at 9:30, he sleeps until sometime between 4-5am and wakes up to nurse, then sleeps for another 3 hours or so.

I nurse him for all other feedings besides the one bottle and that seems to have completely done the trick for him. He does like to nurse a lot for comfort (he deals with a LOT Of gas, and nursing relaxes him enough that he'll pass it without freaking out) but the formula at night must keep him satisfied enough and also pacified enough to not even wake up to nurse. He pretty much passes out and is out for the night. KNOCK ON WOOD. I feel like I'm jinxing myself just talking about how awesome he's doing

he's been on this little schedule since Jason came home mid-december. So, it's been like 3 weeks now and he's still doing awesome. I can't even put into words what a huge difference this made... just the one bottle. The difference between me getting 3 hours of broken sleep to getting like 8-9 hours with at least one solid 6 hour stretch. It's amazing.

The nursing for comfort thing is sort of hard to break, mine does it alllllll day long (he doesn't NEED to eat every hour or two but we still nurse every hour or two, some times even more frequently) because he wants the comfort and completely loses his mind if I try to give him the paci when he wants the boob I'm actually totally shocked that mine cut out his night time nursing like he did, but I am SOOOO not complaining.

Occasionally, he empties me to the point that I have to give one extra bottle in the evenings but I usually have pumped milk to give instead of formula. So, he typically just gets the one bottle at about 9:30. My plan was to try just the one bottle and then if he still woke up constantly, I would try to either add one more bottle in the middle of the night or even a little bit of rice cereal before bed. Luckily, just the one bottle worked for him.

I wish I had more advice for you. I know how draining it can be. Some people told me it was normal for him to get up every hour at 4 months, but I call BS on that one. Not normal for our house anyway, I couldn't function to care for the other 3 when I only had a couple choppy hours of sleep like that. On top of being completely empty from him nursing so much. The formula gives me a chance to get sleep AND not get totally empty. When I wake up between 4-5 to feed him, I'm always super full and I usually have no supply issues for most of the day like I was having before.

I hope she sleeps for you though
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Caimbrie View Post
    When i had to supplement due to low supply I started doing it at night first. Zayne already slept the night though, so I'm not much help I remember seeing Brandi say that Chase was sleeping a LOT better though. Supplementing hurt my supply even more though He started rejecting the boob and even though I was pumping every 2 hours all day it wasn't getting my supply up because the pump isn't effecient for me. I just stopped BF'ing 3 days ago because of it Now my boobs are so hard they feel like they are going to explode.
    I also had a little bit of a supply issue for the first week. My boobs got confused... they would be on the verge of exploding in the morning but then I would be almost completely dried up by the end of the day...there were a couple of nights in a row where I had to give him a bottle of pumped milk twice each day b/c I literally had no milk at all... but I keep alternating between making him latch on (and he would fuss so much b/c my flow was SO slow) to giving him a little from the bottle but I didn't want to go just to bottles b/c I knew i would dry up even more. So, we had to go through a week or so of some evening chaos while I got all of that straightened out, but now everything seems back to normal. I haven't had to do any extra bottles or anything for a couple of weeks.

I have learned that breastfeeding is a royal pain in the ass though. Trying to get all of this stuff right with my supply and sleep and his eating issues and everything has taken a lot of work and is actually far more stressful for me than formula feeding, but it IS worth it. The thought of having to wean him makes me really sad for some reason so we've just persisted through it the best we could.

We're about to start some solids soon though and I'm hoping we won't have more issues b/c of that
  6. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Brandi View Post
    I also had a little bit of a supply issue for the first week. My boobs got confused... they would be on the verge of exploding in the morning but then I would be almost completely dried up by the end of the day...there were a couple of nights in a row where I had to give him a bottle of pumped milk twice each day b/c I literally had no milk at all... but I keep alternating between making him latch on (and he would fuss so much b/c my flow was SO slow) to giving him a little from the bottle but I didn't want to go just to bottles b/c I knew i would dry up even more. So, we had to go through a week or so of some evening chaos while I got all of that straightened out, but now everything seems back to normal. I haven't had to do any extra bottles or anything for a couple of weeks.

I have learned that breastfeeding is a royal pain in the ass though. Trying to get all of this stuff right with my supply and sleep and his eating issues and everything has taken a lot of work and is actually far more stressful for me than formula feeding, but it IS worth it. The thought of having to wean him makes me really sad for some reason so we've just persisted through it the best we could.

We're about to start some solids soon though and I'm hoping we won't have more issues b/c of that

I had no problems with BF'ing until I had to start supplementing. Once he realized how easy the bottle was over the boob he started refusing to nurse at all sometimes and scream and scream until he got a bottle. I'd pump, but it never empties me. I cried for a couple of days about it but since we have decided to try for our last I guess it works out.

I even cried giving him his first bottle with formula after the doc said he needed it. I cried through the whole thing.
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, I worried about the bottle thing too b/c my others got like that where once I started supplementing, they started refusing the boob. So, I went about it verrrry carefully this time and was willing to not give any bottles if it meant him giving up nursing. But he is such a little pig, he seems to not even care. As long as it gives him food, he will eat from it. I even tried a couple spoon fulls of the rice cereal and he had NO issues at all with it. He didn't try to push it back out of his mouth like a lot of babies do, he gulped it right on down. So, I have a feeling that he's going to be like Hunter and eat everything in sight.

I am sorry you had to give up BFing though. I know how tough it is when you have your heart set on doing it
  8. and still I think of you
    and still I think of you
    Blog Entries
    Sarah I am sorry to hear that you had to stop BFing

Brandi, thanks for getting back to me, unfortunatly, supplementing is not helping b/c Bella will only take an ounce so its not sitting long. I hope that in a couple weeks we can try again with better luck. For now, I will just have to be a zombie