Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: acid reflux

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

acid reflux

Advertisements
    Any one's baby also dealing with this?

Any tips you care share?
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  2. Veteran's Wife <---- this makes me sound so old! :(
    Veteran's Wife <---- this makes me sound so old! :(
    My little girl has a milk allergy that was similar.... she would throw up large amounts of milk it was awful. We switched her to soy and it helped drastically. My friend's baby was doing the same and hers was diagnosed with acid reflux.... she switched to soy too and it helped her!

Good luck! I know it's tough watching them go through it!
    Our perfectly, not perfect, family!
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    My baby girl has a milk allergy too. She's taking Prosobee formula and that has helped a lot. She also has to take Zantac for the pain from the reflux. It went undiagnosed for so long so was miserable. We are also putting rice in her bottle (per her Drs request) because the weight of it will help her keep it down. If she wasn't allergic to the milk based formula, we'd have her on Enfamil AR Lipil but she gets eczema and it caused her to get constipated. Just, keep baby upright about 30 minutes after eating. Burp burp burp literally after every ounce or two. Try rice cereal in the bottle (4 TBS to 8 oz) you'll need larger nipples if you do tho'. And, my PM box is always open if you have a question.
  4. Living in paradise :D
    Living in paradise :D
    Gentlease formula worked best for DD and her acid reflux. She was also on zantac. After every feeding, I held her upright for 30 minutes (if I did less, she would vomit it all up and keep doing so and having issues until it was almost time for the next feeding and we'd both be miserable). I got a crib wedge for her bed to elevate her upper body, and I had her sleep on her side using a sleep positioner to hold her in place. I know it's less safe for SIDS to sleep on her side, but she would choke on her spit up sleeping on her back, so for DD she was safer on her side. That's all I can remember doing for it right now.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I'm breast feeding so that rice in the bottle is out. If I could think of something cheeky right now I would.

They put him on some sort of medication for it. It is helping but man, I can only get it filled downtown and it is 22 every few weeks. For a year that will add up.

I'm taking him to the dr on thursday for his followup. Maybe they will put him on something cheaper.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  6. Seabee Wife
    Seabee Wife
    Quote Originally Posted by DakotaCowgirl View Post
    Any one's baby also dealing with this?

Any tips you care share?
    Yes, I nearly lost my daughter shortly after birth due to severe acid reflux. She is currently on a few medications and they are really helping. It also helps that we got many great tips from our pedi. because her son had it just as bad as my daughter if not worse.

Tips:
    1. Feed your child in a position where they are sitting at a 35 degree or better angle. Do not feed them lying down. Keep them in a sitting position or to where their torso is upright for 30 minutes after eating. For middle of the night, find a way to elevate the top half of the crib matress. My DD's dr. suggested rolling or folding up a towel and placing it under the mattress.
    2. Do not bounce your baby to soothe them, instead rock them. Bouncing make the acid come up a lot easier and faster.
    3. If you are willing to supplement or using formula, get formula designed for acid reflux. If you are not supplementing then pump your breast milk and add a small amount of rice cereal to the milk. Make sure you use a higher flow nipple so the rice doesn't clog up the nipple.
    4. burp the child often
    5. feed them in smaller amounts more frequently so that their body has a chance to digest food instead of storing it to come up later.
    6. if your child isn't on any medications, talk to their doctor to see if Prilosec or Zantac may help possibly in combination with other medications.

That's all I can think of right now.