Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ideas to help her sleep longer?

1. and still I think of you
    and still I think of you
    Blog Entries

Help ideas to help her sleep longer?

Advertisements
    I am not sure what is going on. Up until about a week and a half ago, Bella was sleeping a four hour stretch at night to begin with and then went to three hours. Now she is only sleeping for an hour maybe two, if I am lucky.

She is swaddled when she is sleeping and we were co-sleeping but she slept so horribly that I moved her into her crib. She seems to like her own space. She hasnt cried at all being in there.

During the day she will take long naps so I know she can go longer than 2hours I am ready to start giving her formula at night.

Do/did you do anything special to get longer blocks of sleep at night? She is will be 8 weeks Friday.

I ordered the white noise CD from the happiest baby on the block, so hopefully that helps.

TIA
    Last edited by Daysgoby; 01-05-2009 at 04:37 AM. Reason: age
  2. Senior Member
    I'm not having that problem. Not totally sure. The only thing I can think of is if your nursing (breast milk) it's thinner than formula. You could do a couple things. Mix the breast milk with some formula (only at her night time bed feeding) - it would be heavier, her tummy fuller. Might help her sleep longer? If your just formula feeding, maybe ask the Pediatrician about introducing banana flakes into the milk or formula? that may also help Bella sleep at night. If that doesn't work. I'm at a loss, ask the Dr?! Sarah, did the other kids have this problem??

My Sweetheart

Quote Originally Posted by LoveKiss View Post
    Would you please not tempt the deployment gods?! They are vindictive and cruel.
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by *Sarah* View Post
    I am not sure what is going on. Up until about a week and a half ago, Bella was sleeping a four hour stretch at night to begin with and then went to three hours. Now she is only sleeping for an hour maybe two, if I am lucky.

She is swaddled when she is sleeping and we were co-sleeping but she slept so horribly that I moved her into her crib. She seems to like her own space. She hasnt cried at all being in there.

During the day she will take long naps so I know she can go longer than 2hours I am ready to start giving her formula at night.

Do/did you do anything special to get longer blocks of sleep at night? She is will be 8 weeks Friday.

I ordered the white noise CD from the happiest baby on the block, so hopefully that helps.

TIA
    The bolded part might be the problem. How long is she sleeping during the day? I think that at this time you can start to help her distinguish daytime sleep and nighttime sleep. Does she have a late evening nap? That can also mess with bedtime. I used ideas from The No Cry Sleep Solution. They advocate observing her sleep patterns for a set time and then trying to gently redirect.

But you know, it could be a growth spurt or something as well. Babies change patterns all the time to keep things interesting for the parents. Sometimes the best advice is to go with the flow and embrace the chaos.

I hope you can get more rest soon.
  4. and still I think of you
    and still I think of you
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USNIwife View Post
    I'm not having that problem. Not totally sure. The only thing I can think of is if your nursing (breast milk) it's thinner than formula. You could do a couple things. Mix the breast milk with some formula (only at her night time bed feeding) - it would be heavier, her tummy fuller. Might help her sleep longer? If your just formula feeding, maybe ask the Pediatrician about introducing banana flakes into the milk or formula? that may also help Bella sleep at night. If that doesn't work. I'm at a loss, ask the Dr?! Sarah, did the other kids have this problem??
    Thanks My other kids were sleeping much better than this by 6 weeks, I am not sure what is going on. Maybe a growth spurt. If by the end of next week things havent gotten any better, I will probably try formula. Not til then though. I hope this phase passes quickly
  5. and still I think of you
    and still I think of you
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marley View Post
    The bolded part might be the problem. How long is she sleeping during the day? I think that at this time you can start to help her distinguish daytime sleep and nighttime sleep. Does she have a late evening nap? That can also mess with bedtime. I used ideas from The No Cry Sleep Solution. They advocate observing her sleep patterns for a set time and then trying to gently redirect.

But you know, it could be a growth spurt or something as well. Babies change patterns all the time to keep things interesting for the parents. Sometimes the best advice is to go with the flow and embrace the chaos.

I hope you can get more rest soon.
    Usually during the day she takes 1 three hour nap. Usually around 12-1. I just layed her down and its 1pm now. I am thinking about taking the next few days to write down her schedule and compare it from day to day and see if I can work with her natural schedule. Thanks for the tips. I will look into that book!
  6. Senior Member
    I wish I could help you! Cristian just started getting up every hour or 2 at night as well. He'll be 5 months tomorrow!
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I just keep them as alert as possible all day long, playing and tummy time and all of that, they get one nap(good long one) mid-day and whenever they crash out after that theyre down for the night. Mine both get formula before bed so I'm sure that does help them sleep longer.

I wish I had some good advice

8. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

I have never had that problem, my babies have always been fairly good sleepers night and day. However I have heard of some babies turning night into day. Try krrping her awake or not letting her have as long a sleeps during the day, see if that helps.

9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by *Sarah* View Post
    Thanks My other kids were sleeping much better than this by 6 weeks, I am not sure what is going on. Maybe a growth spurt. If by the end of next week things havent gotten any better, I will probably try formula. Not til then though. I hope this phase passes quickly
    help her to differentiate between night and day best you can, try just the night time feeding before you put her down to sleep do 1/2 and 1/2 - half breast milk, half formula (heavier, her tummy will be fuller) and see if it's a growth spurt.

try that for a 2/3 days see if she's not sleeping better at night.

if that doesn't work as the Dr. about introducing banana flakes or something comparable possibly into her diet and/or see if they have any ideas to help her and you.

My Sweetheart

Quote Originally Posted by LoveKiss View Post
    Would you please not tempt the deployment gods?! They are vindictive and cruel.
  10. and still I think of you
    and still I think of you
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for your advice and support ladies. DH is bringing home some Carnation Formula tonight and I am going to give her 1/2 and 1/2 to see how she does.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast