Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Some breastfeeding Questions

1. and still I think of you
    and still I think of you
    Blog Entries

Question Some breastfeeding Questions

Advertisements
    I have a few questions....

When i first started BF years ago I was told to let the baby eat for a like 10 mins on one side and then switch. Now I am reading to let the baby eat as much as they want on the first side before switching and they may not eat at all on the second side. WHich is better? I am confused by it. I started trying to read up on it cause I noticed that Bella's poop is a little green.

Second- If the baby only eats on the one side, is it a complete meal? ( I know I must sound like an idiot... but I am really confused.) What about the let down on the other side. Should I pump that side?

Third- I am noticing a second let down when she nurses. I am still doing the let her eat on one side for 10 mins and then switching. Is a 2nd let down ok?

and last- Is dieting safe while BF?
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Miss K would never eat long enough to eat from both sides so I just fed her on one side and then use the other side for the next feeding. It is better to let the baby nurse longer on one side so that she gets the hindmilk as well which has a higher fat content http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fo...-hindmilk.html Your breast will adjust to that if you always feed her like that.

Dieting while breastfeeding http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mo...eightloss.html
    An unconditional right to say what one pleases about public affairs is what I consider to be the minimum guarantee of the First Amendment.
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    I was told it was 15-20min. on each side. I honestly think its better to do it on each side, that way you dont get unbalanced. JMO though. I cant really add much else since i had to stop BF our son because i was in the hospital & on 3 different antibiotics. Good luck though
  4. Bex
    Banned
    Banned
    I was told to just do one side... UNLESS she seems hungry after 20 minutes or so and is still eating. You also do not need to pump the other side. It's not like the right boob has one type of milk and the left boob has another type of milk.

Dieting, per my doctor, was not recommended. I was simply told to continue to eat well balanced meals and step up my exercise, but not "too much" so that I would avoid building up lactic acid in my breastmilk.
  5. Senior Member
    I have been having the same issues and Katie is only 10 days old!

This is what I do. My goal is for her to nurse a FULL 10 minutes. I do 4-5 minutes on the first breast and then let her nurse as long as she wants on the other breast. That is usually 6-7 minutes long. I am afraid if I let her nurse longer on the first breast she wont nurse on the second one. Right now, my supply is still trying to equal itself out so I need Katie to nurse on both sides.
  6. Senior Member

i always let him eat as much as he wanted on one side before switching but he was such a vivacious eater that he always wanted the second boob. sometimes, i pumped one side while he fed on the other because the letdown is so much stronger, you get a ton more expressed milk. and then after he was done on the boob he was on, i'd put him on the pumped side and he'd empty it out. he was really good at emptying me out. lol.
  7. Senior Member
    When he was brand new he would eat off both sides. Now he stops after about 10 minutes on 1 side. I don't know if one way is better or not, its just what the baby prefers I guess.
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovekale View Post
    i always let him eat as much as he wanted on one side before switching but he was such a vivacious eater that he always wanted the second boob. sometimes, i pumped one side while he fed on the other because the letdown is so much stronger, you get a ton more expressed milk. and then after he was done on the boob he was on, i'd put him on the pumped side and he'd empty it out. he was really good at emptying me out. lol.

"Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz