Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: over eating at the breast??

1. and still I think of you
    and still I think of you
    Blog Entries

Question over eating at the breast??

Advertisements
    I am really confused. Bella has been cluster feeding and I figured its cause she should be about to go into another growth spurt, she is 5 weeks. The last couple days she has been spitting up everytime she eats and last night she threw up.

I burp her in between switching breast and when she pulls off I burp to see if she is done or not. She acts hungry so I put her back on. The spitting up and throwing up makes me think she is over eating. Any ideas on what I can do to get her to stop when she is actually full??

I have tried a paci but it only works sometimes. She doesnt like any of the kinds they sell here and uses me as a paci. I have a new kind in the mail, the soothie, but its not here yet.
  2. Banned
    Banned
    She's probably just suckling for comfort, it's how they soothe themselves. Maybe start using a pacifier or show her to suck on her fingers after she's done eating.
  3. and still I think of you
    and still I think of you
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKOSWIFEY View Post
    She's probably just suckling for comfort, it's how they soothe themselves. Maybe start using a pacifier or show her to suck on her fingers after she's done eating.
    Thats what I thought too but she hates the paci. She will suck on my finger sometimes but not too often. I will try with her hand but she still flails her arms around. its so cute to watch
  4. X
    X
    Kaia was doing that too. At first I thought she was drinking too fast but she was suckling for comfort. So now when she empties me I give her either my finger or a soothie. She only spits up a couple times a day now compared to every feeding
  5. and still I think of you
    and still I think of you
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steph* View Post
    Kaia was doing that too. At first I thought she was drinking too fast but she was suckling for comfort. So now when she empties me I give her either my finger or a soothie. She only spits up a couple times a day now compared to every feeding
    I really hope the soothie gets here soon and that she will take it.
  6. bailliesbags
    I was always told they normally should feed 15 to 20min and that is all.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bailliesbags View Post
    I was always told they normally should feed 15 to 20min and that is all.
    I don't think there really is a normal. Every baby is different.

OP-Cristian still does that sometimes and he only eats for 10 minutes.
  8. Regular Member
    Cami (My 2yr old) never overate but she nursed so often I had to take Reglan because the natural alternatives didn't work for me! She was nursing for like 45m at a time everry2 hours but wasn't gaining enough weight! After I started taking 1 reglan a day she started to nurse less often and also started to put on weight!
    Addisyn (2.5m) is doing great and growing like a weed! At her 2m well baby she was 10lbs 7oz. But I have been noticing she spits up a lot more than Cami did and there are times where it isn't really spit up it is more like she has over filled her tummy and the excess has just come right back out! Like when it is spit up it comes back out kinda chunky like it has curdled with the tummy acids. But when she has over eaten it comes back out looking like I just pumped it into a bottle! She also was doing this ridiculous back bend type thing as she was eating and after she ate and they have put her on Zantac 2x a day (I only give it to her 1x daily most days unless I can tell she is visibly more uncomfortable) for reflux but I really don't like giving it to her! I am a big green vege eater so I know when I have had broccoli for dinner the next day she is going to need her medicine cause her tummy is upset! To me that is the hardest part of BF'ing is the fact that I really have to watch what I intake so if her tummy gets upset I can rule out what I don't need to be eating or what to more so eat in moderation!
    Sorry I kinda went off subject here! So back on subject Addisyn only really nurses for comfort if her sister has been getting a lot of attention and she wants mommy time!
    Keri

"No matter what your opinion is of our military, it is because of those who have served and are serving that you are even allowed to have an opinion and still live to see the light of day." ~Emily, proud U.S. Navy Wife and former Army brat
  9. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by instant_oatmeal View Post
    I don't think there really is a normal. Every baby is different.

OP-Cristian still does that sometimes and he only eats for 10 minutes.
    I was told to let them nurse until they were done which on average was about 10-15 min on one side and 5-10 on the other! And which ever side they nursed on less was the one you were supposed to start nursing on at the next feeding! I dunno the truth in it but it has really worked well for us!
    Keri

"No matter what your opinion is of our military, it is because of those who have served and are serving that you are even allowed to have an opinion and still live to see the light of day." ~Emily, proud U.S. Navy Wife and former Army brat