Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I just don't know what to do

1. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

Sad I just don't know what to do

Advertisements
    I think I might have to stop breastfeeding Zayne and I am more upset about it than I ever thought I could be

Zayne's 4 month appointment was Monday and he is in the 25 - 50% for height and his head, but his weight was only in the 5th %. She said that shows he is obviously not failure to thrive, but his weight is a concern. I know I've been struggling to get my supply up for over a month now and it's not really improving at all. She told me to offer a bottle of formula after each feeding and if he eats it then he is needing more than he is getting from me. I know he can drink from a bottle fine because he has before, but every time I offer the formula he screams because he doesn't want it. I wans't sure if it was because he just wasn't hungry or because he didn't want the formula. Twice today I pumped both sides and gave him formula to see how much he'd eat. I'm only getting 3 ozs total from pumping both sides and he cries the whole time drinking the bottles of formula He finally ate when he knew I wasn't giving him the breast, but he was still upset. He ate 4 - 41/2 ounces of formula (is that even enough for 4 months old?).

I just don't think he is going to willingly go between breastfeeding/breastmilk and formula for supplementing I wanted to BF him til a year, but I am barely keep my supply at this point. I am so upset I cried the whole time giving him this last bottle. I just don't know what to do. I've been taking lactation support supplements, drinking 6 - 8 16.9 oz bottles of water every day, been eating well, pumping between feedings.. I just can't get my supply to where it needs to be
  2. Bex
    Banned
    Banned
    Ellie at 4 months was still only eating 3-4 oz (pumped BM) per sitting when at daycare... sometimes even 1-2 oz.... She never was a big drinker (in terms of quantity) but she loved/loves to eat cereal once we gave it to her around 5 months.
  3. Senior Member
    I'm sorry sweetie. One thing though...do not base your supply on what you can pump! I never had issues with my supply but I could never get more than an ounce combined when I pumped. Does he act like he's still hungry after he nurses? If he doesn't then he is getting enough...some babies just arent as big as others. The other thing to watch of course is wet diapers....as long as he's has I think 6 to 8 wet diapers he is getting enough.

Wanted to add that there charts in there offices are usually based on formula fed babies...breastfed babies tend to be smaller (sometimes not always)
  4. Senior Member
    I know nothing about that because I'm childless....but I can offer my and that something will change for the better
  5. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Bex View Post
    Ellie at 4 months was still only eating 3-4 oz (pumped BM) per sitting when at daycare... sometimes even 1-2 oz.... She never was a big drinker (in terms of quantity) but she loved/loves to eat cereal once we gave it to her around 5 months.

How often did she eat during the day?

Zayne eats every 2 - 3 hours during the day right now but he sleeps solid 6 - 8 hours at night, so he doesn't eat anything at night.

One thing I realize with Zayne is he's so used to my letdown that as soon as the forceful letdown is done, he wont nurse anymore to empty me out and cries until I put him on the other side.
  6. Senior Member
    Thats how I felt when I had to start supplementing. It still breaks my heart. Sophie gets about 2oz (well thats what I pumped?) from me and 4oz of formula. I tried fenugreek, diet changes, water intake, pumping, etc.. nothing brought up my supply. If you ever need to chat about it I'm here. Sophie went from 5% to 50% once I started her on supplementing.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Caimbrie View Post

One thing I realize with Zayne is he's so used to my letdown that as soon as the forceful letdown is done, he wont nurse anymore to empty me out and cries until I put him on the other side.
    It's possible that he's a efficient nurser and he manages to empty you in that short of time which is why he wants to be switched...because he does empty that side..kwim? I know when I nursed my youngest once he got past 3 months or so he would only nurse for 10 or 15 min at a time unless he was going through a growth spurt.
  8. Bex
    Banned
    Banned
    She ate every 1-2 hours... sometimes 3-4 if I was lucky. She was a snacker, not an "eater." I would only offer 1 side per feeding. Sometimes she'd nurse 5 minutes... sometimes 10.... only when she was verrrry newborn did she nurse longer than that. LOL
  9. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by MullerKris View Post
    I'm sorry sweetie. One thing though...do not base your supply on what you can pump! I never had issues with my supply but I could never get more than an ounce combined when I pumped. Does he act like he's still hungry after he nurses? If he doesn't then he is getting enough...some babies just arent as big as others. The other thing to watch of course is wet diapers....as long as he's has I think 6 to 8 wet diapers he is getting enough.

Wanted to add that there charts in there offices are usually based on formula fed babies...breastfed babies tend to be smaller (sometimes not always)

The doc actually asked me if I've ever pumped at a feeding to see how much I get. When I told her 3ozs she made a face

He generally seams satisfied after his feedings, but sometimes I think he wants more. Today he has not wanted anything after a feeding except once and he only ate 3/4 of an ounce after. He pees enough and poops enough, he's just low on the weight chart. The pedi didn't seam overly worries because he IS growing but she wants to keep an eye on him. He has a weight check next week. She said he needs to gain 1/2 ounce a day.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Caimbrie View Post
    How often did she eat during the day?

Zayne eats every 2 - 3 hours during the day right now but he sleeps solid 6 - 8 hours at night, so he doesn't eat anything at night.

What about pumping after he eats? That would increase your supply. That worked for me. Plus, then you can feed him the hindmilk which is good for him from the bottle.

On the formula, have you tried different brands? I know Enfamil and Similac taste completely different. Maybe he doesn't like the taste? You could ask your pediatrician for some samples to try so you're not having to buy a full can just to try it out.
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast