Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: formula supplement???

1. Senior Member

Help formula supplement???

Advertisements
    Okay. this may be the most selfish thing i've ever done, but too bad. I'm doing it, i already decided...i think. lol. . I'm going to a Halloween party sat. night sans children.

I need to supplement with formula (i cant pump enough, at all. not even close to enough). I might be able to pump enough for him to have a "snack", but if he gets truly hungy it will NOT hold him over. I will be gone for about 4 hours or so. i dont want to, but i have to. he has to eat. I was looking at the ingredients in the formulas though, and was less than impressed. Alos, ds has had no shots whatsoever. Will giving him formula compromise his immunity at this point?? he's 5.5 months right now. It would be 2 -3 (4 oz.) bottles depending on how much he eats during the day.. My grandmother suggested i try a "homemade" formula which she gave her children until they ate solid foods. It's evaporated milk, karo syprup, water, and liquid infant vitamins. What do you think about thaT?? I do have an actual recipe for it that i got online. Or should i just go with formula? or am i being uber selfish and should just stay home????

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "R is one of the most menacing of sounds, that's why it's called muRdeR and not muckduck"
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Regular formula. For sure. As little as you are going to be gone getting some formula wont hurt him.
  3. Loving My Life As A Mom And Wife
    Loving My Life As A Mom And Wife
    Blog Entries
    There is no way I'd give Peyton your Grandma's "formula", sorry. Peyton has been bottle fed since she was 3 months old and has NEVER gotten sick, no more than just sniffles at least.

I also believe that it's safer to get SOME shots than none. Especially by now since he's 5 1/2 months but to each their own
    Since my Gastric Bypass Surgery June 1 2009

Day of Surgery

4. Senior Member
    I would go with a normal formula. Maybe even a hypoallergenic one, just to be safe. The evaporated milk would probably be way too much cow dairy for the baby to handle at his age. They don't suggest cow's milk until around a year old. If you start pumping early in the morning and do it several times, you don't think you can get a decent amount? I would try your hardest, and mix that with a small amount of hypoallergenic formula. (alimentum, nutrimigen, etc). jmo.
  5. Senior Member
    just get regular formula...the homemade stuff our grandma's gave their kids has been found to be something that isn't healthy for babies...I wouldn't do anything hypoallergenic unless you know the baby has allergies...our ped told us that was the last resort with our dd
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mackenziesmommy View Post
    just get regular formula...the homemade stuff our grandma's gave their kids has been found to be something that isn't healthy for babies...I wouldn't do anything hypoallergenic unless you know the baby has allergies...our ped told us that was the last resort with our dd
    Yeah, everyone's ped is different. Mine had me supplement breast milk with the hypoallergenic stuff. (had a breast reduction and I couldn't produce enough or get enough out and he was losing a LOT of weight). He is on organic now, and has no issues. He also is on baby food, and has no allergies. But, that doesn't mean someone else child would fare the same.

She could also try organic formula or a sensitive type. Either way, I don't think a couple bottles of formula is going to hurt the baby. At most, he may have gas, affected stools, etc. Nothing he can't get over in a couple of hours.
  7. Bex
    Banned
    Banned
    I'd probably test him on formula beforehand...unless you want poor grandma discovering he's allergic to soy or lactose, etc... ANd I would most certainly NOT try anything with Karo syrup. If you're only going to be gone 4 hours, feed him before you go... and he may not even eat while you're gone, if he's going to be sleeping...
  8. Proud Seabee wife!
    Proud Seabee wife!
    In our breastfeeding group, the lactation nurse always recommended Good Start for the supplemental if you were ever to just use it like in your situation.
  9. Senior Member
    Free Sample Of Members Mark Infant Formula
    http://www.membersmarkformula.com/free_sample.aspx

but it won't be there in time.

My Sweetheart

Quote Originally Posted by LoveKiss View Post
    Would you please not tempt the deployment gods?! They are vindictive and cruel.
  10. Put the alphabet in order...
    Put the alphabet in order...
    I would do regular formula. The hypoallergenic kind smells like dog food, mine wouldn't take it at all when we tried to give it to him.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast