Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another BF question...

1. Senior Member

Help Another BF question...

Advertisements
    DS has started something new. He'll eat for 2-5 minutes, pull off and not want back on. Then, 10 minutes later, he's bawling because he's starving. Then, even when I do get him on for a whole 20 minutes, he is still bawling 10 minutes later.
    I abandoned nursing on demand a few days ago because he seemed to ALWAYS want to eat and my nipples and sanity couldn't take it. So I switched to every 2 hours. I'll feed him for at least 15 minutes (more if he wants) on one side and at least 10 on the other. He did great with that for 3 days, but now he's doing this new stuff...
    I feel so bad when he cries and my nipples are too sore or my boobs are empty to feed him... I don't know what to do.
  2. Senior Member
    With him being 3 weeks old, nurse on demand is the way to go. Your nipples will heal and actually get use to the feedings. Trying to put a newborn on a schedule can be stressful and most of the time it does not work. This is your chance to let him feed and you just relax and enjoy it.
  3. Senior Member
    I'm sorry your so sore.

I fed all of mine on demand, I don't really know what you can do....maybe a paci?
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jill View Post
    With him being 3 weeks old, nurse on demand is the way to go. Your nipples will heal and actually get use to the feedings. Trying to put a newborn on a schedule can be stressful and most of the time it does not work. This is your chance to let him feed and you just relax and enjoy it.
    I agree. What I did when my nipples hurt too bad was pump and bottlefeed the breast milk and a total of 4 times supplemented with formula. ( I know the exact number because I had gotten 5 single samples of formula and I had one left over lol)
    An unconditional right to say what one pleases about public affairs is what I consider to be the minimum guarantee of the First Amendment.
  5. Banned
    Banned
    aww hun, i don't know what to tell you. I didn't BF be/c a. i didn't have enough milk, and b. kinda didn't want to. But you could always supplement with formula and pump if you needed to.
  6. Senior Member
    Sounds like he's going through a growth spurt sweetie. I know it's painful but it's critical for your supply that you feed on demand. Growth spurts are very trying on you (and your poor nipples) but they also tell your body to start making more milk. Your milk produces in a supply and demand way, so even if he's nursing and no milk is coming out, your body will pick up on the fact that you need to make more to meet his demand. It's natures way of letting your boobies know that he's getting older and going to be eating more.

When ever my kids went through them they would nurse for 30 to 45 min in one sitting, and then be ready to nurse again less than 20 min after I had stopped feeding them. I know it's tough but it usually only lasts for a week and then goes back to normal...until the next growth spurt of course lol.
  7. Senior Member
    I'll give NOD another chance. Thanks ladies! I don't know what I'd do without you.
  8. New Mommy to Kahlan Lee
    New Mommy to Kahlan Lee
    Good luck!

9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I hope it will get easier for you.
    An unconditional right to say what one pleases about public affairs is what I consider to be the minimum guarantee of the First Amendment.
  10. Senior Member
    Thanks!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast