Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Co-sleeping questions

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries

Co-sleeping questions

Advertisements
    Ok, so I'm not really a fan of the co-sleeping thing, but DS is going through a separation anxiety phase, and he screams bloody murder if I put him to bed in his crib and leave the room. The other night he stayed up til 4:30 in the morning (not crying, I got him up and played with him until he was too tired to notice when I put him down) because he wouldn't be left alone. So I was reading somewhere that even if you're not a fan of co-sleeping, it can be a valuable tool during this kind of phase so that everyone can get enough sleep. So my questions are:

1. What position do you co-sleep in? Does the baby sleep between you and your SO?
    2. What are some precautions I should take with the setup of my bed? (DS is 10 months old, so he can use a blankie safely)
    3. Will this increase his separation anxiety issues, or do you think it will really help?

The other problem is that we only have a full-size bed. (I'm kinda hoping I can use this as an excuse to make DH buy us a Queen.)
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    we put dd between us (even though technically you aren't supposed to)--dh sleeps super still and i would keep my arm around her. i would get side rails because if he's a mover and shaker like my dd he will get off the bed. dd transitioned at night time more or less just fine (we had like 3 tough nights of a really long nursing session before bed but she's fine. she doesn't nap in her own room though--my choice
  3. Purpur
    1) usually the kid sleeps between us, but sometimes I end up with the kid on my side. Sometimes the kid ends up sleeping on my chest....just depends on where we're comfy that night.
    2) there's not too much to do, as long as your sheets are tucked in pretty well. So they don't end up over the babies face (even at 10 months, you should be careful)
    3) It depends on your kid. We did it and never had a problem, but we started co-sleeping at a really early age.
  4. Senior Member
    We had a period of time where ds would wake at 1 am and would not go back to sleep and would call and cry. Since I didn't want him to wake everyone in the house we brought him to our room. We usually ended up with him between us so we didn't have to worry about one of us pushing him off the bed. It worked for us. Each night we would start him in his bed and when he woke transfer with as little fuss as possible and before we knew it he was over the waking up and started sleeping in his bed again all night.

With dd, she was very attached to her dad and so he would wear a t-shirt to bed and I could use it to lay in her bed and she would stay asleep because the shirt had her daddy's smell on it.
    http://militarysos.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8121&dateline=1213248817 TAKEN AT NISQUALLY WILDLIFE PRESERVE
  5. Senior Member
    We have been co-sleeping for a pretty long time. My son sleeps between dh and myself with no blankets ( we have blankets on the bed that we us, just not my son). He hates blankets and gets mad if even his foot gets covered up by a blanket! Anyway, the main problem I have with him co sleeping is that he cannot sleep without me.. even for a nap. If I get up and move away from him he wakes up very upset.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by harrisonsdream View Post
    we put dd between us (even though technically you aren't supposed to)--dh sleeps super still and i would keep my arm around her. i would get side rails because if he's a mover and shaker like my dd he will get off the bed. dd transitioned at night time more or less just fine (we had like 3 tough nights of a really long nursing session before bed but she's fine. she doesn't nap in her own room though--my choice
    Quote Originally Posted by Purpur View Post
    1) usually the kid sleeps between us, but sometimes I end up with the kid on my side. Sometimes the kid ends up sleeping on my chest....just depends on where we're comfy that night.
    2) there's not too much to do, as long as your sheets are tucked in pretty well. So they don't end up over the babies face (even at 10 months, you should be careful)
    3) It depends on your kid. We did it and never had a problem, but we started co-sleeping at a really early age.
    Quote Originally Posted by kaaau View Post
    We had a period of time where ds would wake at 1 am and would not go back to sleep and would call and cry. Since I didn't want him to wake everyone in the house we brought him to our room. We usually ended up with him between us so we didn't have to worry about one of us pushing him off the bed. It worked for us. Each night we would start him in his bed and when he woke transfer with as little fuss as possible and before we knew it he was over the waking up and started sleeping in his bed again all night.

With dd, she was very attached to her dad and so he would wear a t-shirt to bed and I could use it to lay in her bed and she would stay asleep because the shirt had her daddy's smell on it.
    Thanks for the quick responses ladies, I appreciate your advice!
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    We have been co-sleeping for a pretty long time. My son sleeps between dh and myself with no blankets ( we have blankets on the bed that we us, just not my son). He hates blankets and gets mad if even his foot gets covered up by a blanket! Anyway, the main problem I have with him co sleeping is that he cannot sleep without me.. even for a nap. If I get up and move away from him he wakes up very upset.
    Awww, my kid doesn't even want to see me if DH is in the house right now- he is OBSESSED with his daddy. It's kinda cute, but also a little frustrating, considering DH can't even go to the bathroom without the baby throwing a fit.
  8. Senior Member
    OOOPs hit the wrong button before I was finished.

Anyway ds hated blankets so he always slept on top of the covers.

But you could try the same thing---perhaps the shirt to sleep with and transferring at night without a lot of talking and it should change around very soon.

I think it helped us a lot by doing that, and I think if you continue to try him in his bed at night you will find that one night he will just sleep there again on his own.
    http://militarysos.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8121&dateline=1213248817 TAKEN AT NISQUALLY WILDLIFE PRESERVE
  9. Proud Seabee wife!
    Proud Seabee wife!
    I have done it with all of my kids at some point in time. My daughter sleeps in between hubby and I or on my side. We have her toddler bed right on the other side so if she rolls off its right onto her bed. Its worked out well and made sleep possible.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyJay View Post
    Awww, my kid doesn't even want to see me if DH is in the house right now- he is OBSESSED with his daddy. It's kinda cute, but also a little frustrating, considering DH can't even go to the bathroom without the baby throwing a fit.
    That's so cute! But I know how you feel. I like to get extra house cleaning in at night with both kids sleeping but when he wakes up every time I leave the bed it doesn't get done.

Do you have a bedtime routine?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast