Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have to night-wean...help!

1. Chrissie

Sad I have to night-wean...help!

Advertisements
    dh and I are getting a separation. He is moving out soon. She is 14 months old and I still co-sleep with her. She falls asleep by nursing every night. We do not do CIO, but I have to get her to fall asleep without the breast so that that he can put her to sleep at his house and so that when I find a job, the sitter can put her down for a nap also. My baby girl has never even slept in a crib or pack n play before. Is there anyway I can do this quickly and in a non-traumatizing way?
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I dont know hun but I wanted to offer
  3. bailliesbags
    So you are totally against letting her cry?

My suggestion would be to give her a cup of milk in a rocking chair until she gets drowsy or sleepy. Then lay her in her bed. The rest is going to require her to cry though. I wouldn't say just let her CIO at this point though. I would say 10 min, then if she doesn't calm down in that time frame to go to her and pat her back to get her to sleep maybe. Other then crying some I don't know.
  4. Chrissie
    Thanks. I am against CIO by all measures. There is no way I would let my baby girl cry alone at 14 months old. (Not trying to start a debate).

I do appreciate the advice though. Tonight I did not nurse her to sleep. I laid with her in bed and she would protest not having the breast. She would sit up, and I would lay her down and tell her it was time for bed. It took a good hour
  5. bailliesbags
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissie View Post
    Thanks. I am against CIO by all measures. There is no way I would let my baby girl cry alone at 14 months old. (Not trying to start a debate).

I do appreciate the advice though. Tonight I did not nurse her to sleep. I laid with her in bed and she would protest not having the breast. She would sit up, and I would lay her down and tell her it was time for bed. It took a good hour
    An hour really isn't bad. I remember spending a couple of hours with my daughter for weeks on end trying to get her to sleep.
  6. Moving to Okinawa...so excited!!!
    Moving to Okinawa...so excited!!!
    I hate letting my daughter cry also. Sometimes it is the only way I can get her to sleep. She will eventually go to sleep. It has taken my daughter more than an hour before. It breaks my heart and usually I end up laying in my bed crying. All my daughter wants to be put to sleep with is nursing and rocking also. I would try slowly weaning her of breastfeeding with a sippy cup of milk. I wish I could offer more advice. The only think I can say is let her cry.
  7. Chrissie
    Thanks girls! We do not do milk either. I would pump, but it literally takes 30 mins to get two ounces and that would last about 30 seconds for her .

I think I am just going to rub her back until she falls asleep. There is no way I could let my 14 mo old cry to sleep. I just don't think it's ethical (jmo).

I have two older children, but we just let them be nursed to sleep/rocked until they no longer wanted to be (around age 2 for both of them). It sucks that I have to rush this and to make things worse I am so stressed
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    try a new routine, maybe a warm bath and a gentle massage every night?

9. Proud Seabee wife!
    Proud Seabee wife!
    I am trying to do the same thing with mine. The night weaning is hard I don't do the CIO either. I have been just trying to rub her back with calming music.
  10. Chrissie
    That is a good idea. The sad thing is that he has never given her a bath. When she is at his house, he won't either. I like the music idea. Maybe the same thing every night, so when she hears it she'll know it's bed time.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast