Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the definition of attachment parenting (AP)

1. Bex
    Banned
    Banned

the definition of attachment parenting (AP)

Advertisements
    Attachment parenting, a phrase coined by pediatrician William Sears,[1] is a parenting philosophy based on the principles of the attachment theory in developmental psychology. According to attachment theory, a strong emotional bond with parents during childhood, also known as a secure attachment, is a precursor of secure, empathic relationships in adulthood.
    For more, you can check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attachment_parenting

or google "attachment parenting"

I think a lot of times people confuse AP with breastfeeding, or cloth diapering, or babywearing. While those things CAN be components of AP, they most certainly do not define whether or not you are an AP parent.

To me, AP means following my heart and my children's cues in how I parent. AP means listening to their needs and going with what my maternal instinct and heart is telling me to do.

Sometimes, I think AP is confused with material concepts, which I feel it is not.

What does AP mean to YOU?
  2. X
    X
    Yeah, I always feel sad when I see all the BFing questions in the AP forum.
  3. Community Leader
    Community Leader
    Blog Entries
    I think it is just a personal definition that means different things to different people. When I actually think about it now, because we didn't really do AP, I think of it as breastfeeding, babywearing, clothdiapering, non-CIO, and the like. But, it wasn't a big thing when my kiddos were babies, or at least not that I knew of.

But, I think it is open to interpretation.

4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    To ME, AP means doing what is most natural... so for ME that means breastfeeding, keeping baby next to my bed til they sleep through the night, no drugs during labor/birth... basically, anything that is at the very core of being a mammal.

but, like you... it is all about following my heart and my child's cues. doing what baby tells me is best for baby
  5. Senior Member
    ap to me is stronge bond between parent and child.. like for example when i had attempted to put my son in daycare i cried the whole freakin 4 hours.. pretty much haveing a panic attack calling the daycae every minute or so only when i was able to get the phone away from my hubs. i know its bad but im getting better i dont cry when my son leaves for pre k and i dont call but im still suffering from panic attacks sometimes.. but that was just one example.
  6. Pregnant with Baby #2
    Pregnant with Baby #2
    AP to me is following my childs cues and parenting with my heart.
    This is my shrine to Bryanna... she rocks!!
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    following dd's cues, being baby led mostly
  8. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

It means the same to me as it does to you Bex. I BF but I don't cloth diaper.... I circ'd my sons but I baby wear.... I consider how I am raising them AP.
  9. Put the alphabet in order...
    Put the alphabet in order...
    Going with what feels natural. I think that any kind of parenting can create a strong bond, but I know my kids feel secure, and I feel comfortable with the way we are raising them. I take their cues, but I also CD, I BFed for as long as was possible for me, and I babywear. I occasionally wear my toddler too, but he doesn't put up with it very often anymore
    Banned
    AP means being close to your baby and doing things all naturally which IS breastfeeding and babywearing and no CIO and cloth diapering. Because those things are organic and natural.

It's a method of parenting that consists of various components.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast