Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Those who tried to nurse but couldn't

1. Photographer in Southern CA
    Photographer in Southern CA
    Blog Entries

Those who tried to nurse but couldn't

Advertisements
    How long did you try before you gave up?

My biggest worry is I will give up too soon even though breastfeeding is something I want so bad to do. I watch things like a baby story or bringing home baby and so many women give up because their milk supply wasn't in enough. It drives me crazy because it takes a few days for it to come in, and I know this even though I have never been through it. And i am sure I am crazy but it drives me nuts because its something I want so bad to do.
  2. Senior Member
    Im still trying but he just wont take, so I resort to the next thing and thats to pump. I hate not being able to cause I hear about everyone getting to bond with their babies and that just makes me sad cause I wish I was able to do the same

I really hope that you will get to.
    Mommy's Little Monkey Mommy's Little Princess
  3. and still I think of you
    and still I think of you
    Blog Entries
    The first 2 weeks is the hardest and in my experience the most painful. If you can get past there, you are doing good. The next big hump is the grouth spurt at 3 weeks and then 6 weeks. The baby is attached to you constantly. After that, it is a lot easier!
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Well my milk was already in big time when I had our son but he could not latch on... they had a few nurses come in and try to help ...but they were so rough with him and he just cried so hard everytime.. my husband and I said that breat feeding was not worth him crying him being upset... so I pumped for about a month and then went to formula.
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I tried with my DS for about 3 weeks. Giving up was the hardest day of my life! And I still regret it to this day & he is 9.

With DD I gave up after a week but we knew before I had her that I more than likely would not be able to nurse. I had a big breast reduction when DS was about a year old!
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I did the breastfeeding for amonth and then stop because I was not producing enough milk...I supplement it with baby formula at times when he gets even more hungry. I did the pump and still my milk was barely enough to feed the little tyke...
    I was so adamant about breastfeeding because I thought it was the only way to bond with DS but honestly I really didn't need too. We bonded well from the beginning espcially when sleeping.
  7. I piss excellence!!!!
    I piss excellence!!!!
    I tried for a month with both of my kids but I didn't have enough in supply for them... I was sad that I had to stop but they turned out fine
    Lvin my wifey INDPNDNTwomn05 FOREVER
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    With Ethan I tried for 4.5 months.

I was fully set on breastfeeding. I took a class and felt prepared. Never did I think that my PCOS could lead to a low milk supply

When he was born we breastfed soley. My milk didnt come in the 3 days I was in the hospital so he lost a little more weight then they liked.. Then when he was around 2 weeks old he wasnt having poopy diapers and was screaming all the time. We took him in and found that he was losing weight and not getting enough to eat. So I saw the lactation consultant. We kept plugging along and I saw her weekly at first. When he was 1 month old she determined that sadly my milk never fully came in. Upon research PCOS CAN cause this. So I had to supplement with formula. So we came up with a plan. Breastfeed first, offer a bottle, pump, take fenegreek, eat lots of oatmeal, repeat etc. Ethan wouldnt take the bottle. He only wanted me so I wasnt able to supplement him since he refused it. I tried like hell to do this. Then when he was 4.5 months old we went in for another checkup with the LC and he was losing weight due to rejecting the bottle for supplementing and not getting enough from me and thats all he wanted. She gave me a huge hug while I cried my eyes out and told me that I needed to wean him for his own good and health because he wasnt taking to the bottle and he HAD to. So I weaned him.

It was so sad for me BUT once I did wean he was much happier because he was getting full from the bottle, gaining weight and the like. So I know I did the right thing
  9. Loving My Life As A Mom And Wife
    Loving My Life As A Mom And Wife
    Blog Entries
    I gave up at 3 months. After trying every herb imaginable and being prescribed Reglan.
    Since my Gastric Bypass Surgery June 1 2009

Day of Surgery

10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by *Sarah* View Post
    The first 2 weeks is the hardest and in my experience the most painful. If you can get past there, you are doing good. The next big hump is the grouth spurt at 3 weeks and then 6 weeks. The baby is attached to you constantly. After that, it is a lot easier!
    Ditto!

Its hard for those first few weeks because it does take a while for your milk to come in (for csection mamas it can take up to 4 days or so) and during this time, the baby will cluster feed a lot, which is basically when they nurse nurse nurse nurse nurse NONSTOP. Seriously, nonstop. During the first four days, I think all four of mine probably nursed every 20-30 minutes around the clock. This can become VERY tiresome, but there is a point to the cluster feeding. Mother nature is trying to help your milk come in as quickly as possible, so the feeding is very important even though you're only really nursing colostrum at that point. It will bring your milk in fast though.

Then the growth spurts are very hard also, like what I"m going through right now I feel like he nurses around the clock and it's hard work trying to keep up with him right now.

I switched my three oldest over at varying times based on personal preference but they all three had formula at some point because I CHOSE to stop breastfeeding.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast