Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breastfeeding

1. autumnh

Breastfeeding

Advertisements
    The nurses have been helping me with breastfeeding the twins..very challenging but so worth it! When I'm not able to be there, I keep milk there that I pumped. I still have a lot of milk, more than they will need before they leave NICU so do I just pump and then let it go to waste?? How long is it good for? My breasts are always so full

Also, I plan on breastfeeding for quite some time but I'm definitely interested in going back on some type of birth control. Are there any that are safe to take while BFing? Should I wait?

I plan on discussing BC with my doctor, just wanted opinions first!

TIA!
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

You can keep breastmilk in the freezer for months Keep pumping, you will need to keep your supply up!

NuvaRing is what I took when I was bf Liam...it worked so well I stayed on it for three more years

Good luck with everything!
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/m...e-preemie.html
    This is just about storing breast milk for premature infants I hope it helps you.

That* short synopsis though is in a freezer (not in the door compartment but in the actual freezer above your fridge (or beside it or underneath depending on what style fridge you have ) it will keep up to 3 months.

In a deep freezer (no fridge just a chest or standing type freezer KWIM?) up to 6 months.

Read the link though because it goes into better detail on how to safely store breast milk.

BC pills can be tricky they can lower the supply so make sure you have gathered info to go over with your Dr before hand. Remember many DR's do not know very much about breastfeeding itself. Lots of luck on your breast feeding journey with the twins!

http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/birthcontrol.html (some info on breast feeding and various birth control methods)
    Last edited by Sophie♥Hatter; 09-09-2008 at 12:41 AM. Reason: *the not that
  4. Purpur
    Dude! That stuff is liquid gold! Freeze it!
  5. and still I think of you
    and still I think of you
    Blog Entries
    Good luck with keeping up your supply. I know that BM can be frozen for a long time.

The only BC I used before was the mini pill and the 10 year IUD. Not sure what I am going to do this time.
  6. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    Create a stockpile in your freezer!!!
  7. autumnh
    Thanks ladies! I appreciate it
  8. autumnh
    Quote Originally Posted by Green~Mammy View Post
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/m...e-preemie.html
    This is just about storing breast milk for premature infants I hope it helps you.

That* short synopsis though is in a freezer (not in the door compartment but in the actual freezer above your fridge (or beside it or underneath depending on what style fridge you have ) it will keep up to 3 months.

In a deep freezer (no fridge just a chest or standing type freezer KWIM?) up to 6 months.

Read the link though because it goes into better detail on how to safely store breast milk.

BC pills can be tricky they can lower the supply so make sure you have gathered info to go over with your Dr before hand. Remember many DR's do not know very much about breastfeeding itself. Lots of luck on your breast feeding journey with the twins!

http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/birthcontrol.html (some info on breast feeding and various birth control methods)
    Thanks for the links! Very helpful
  9. Senior Member
    Everybody else already said what I was going to say so I'm just going to give you MAJOR props for breastfeeding twins !!!
  10. Senior Member

yes, you can take a minipill while breastfeeding...i did. it doesn't lower your milk supply at all. the only catch is that as soon as you stop breastfeeding, you have to switch bc's because it isn't effective anymore. or atleast that's what the ob told me.

at the back of a freezer or in a deep freezer, milk can last 6 months. at the front of the freezer, it lasts, i believe, 1-3 months. thawed milk lasts only 24 hours and should be consumed in that time.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast