Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When did you introduce....

1. Senior Member

When did you introduce....

Advertisements
    A pacifier or a bottle (with breast milk) to your breastfed child? We are still struggling sometimes with the bf'ing so I don't want to give him something that will confuse him.
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I have heard that pacifiers don't actually confused breast fed kids... and that it might even help them... I don't know if that is true... but it is what I have heard in the past.
  3. Senior Member
    Hmmm...never heard that.
  4. Senior Member
    at birth... but that is just us.
    I pump from time to time so they all got bottles with breastmilk.
    I also gave them a pacifier from the get go. Sucking as a baby is a natural and soothing thing and doesn't only function for an eating technique. It is good for them to be able to be comforted that way, so I have always allowed my kids to have pacifiers from the day they were born until around 10-12 months when we took it away.

Also, the bottle doesn't really confuse them I don't think, but it does make them lazy from my experience. Johnnie never wants to feed properly the feeding after he's had a bottle. However, the pacifier never makes a difference... just saves him from screaming excessively
  5. Senior Member
    I had to introduce bottles when she was in the hospital.. first to push fluids in her to get the jaundice out and then after we got home to put on weight. I started giving her a paci a week ago and she nurses great (if only i had a ton of milk and she'd fatten up)
  6. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

We started givng Zayne a paci after a few days because he was using me as a paci ALL NIGHT. It hasn't caused any issues at all and I'm getting more sleep I haven't introduced a bottle yet. I want to wait at least a few more weeks.
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    She had a pacifier in the hospital and had a bottle when she was about 5 weeks, we didnt have a choice, I had to have surgery and couldnr BF her for a day.
  8. X
    X
    We don't do pacifiers but I gave her a bottle of pumped BM after a few months. I only used a bottle a handful of times because honestly I was just too lazy
  9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    dd never took pacis. We tried it like if I would go take a shower and dh had her and she was fussy but she just spit it out and freaked. Her first bottle I want to say was at 4 months maybe
  10. katt1028
    My son had a binkie from the time he was in the hospital to when he was 4 months old. He spit it out, as he didn't want it anymore. I introduced a bottle to him when he was about 2 - 3 months old. I had to go back to work, so it was a combination of formula (during the day) and breast milk 9when I was home). I couldn't get milk pumped out for him.

With my daughter on the way, I am going to try my darndest to be able to breastfeed her up until she is a year old.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast