Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Was it a clogged duct?

1. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

Question Was it a clogged duct?

Advertisements
    The past 2 days I've been having an awful time with my left breast being seriously engorged. I've been mostly feeding on my right side and only feeding enough on the left to relieve some pressure or I've been using a warm cloth to help express enough to take the real firmness away.... I've been trying not to get to much out of the breast so that I'm not giving it much demand and it stops getting so engorged.

I just couldn't take it anymore and I pumped it tonight (I know, I know.. that's only going to make it worse ) in less than 5 minutes I got over 3 ozs and then I stopped. The lower left side of my breast still felt really firm and was still sore, so I got a really warm wash cloth and massaged it while pumping just for a few minutes, all of the sudden out came another oz and a lot of the firmness went away (all in all I got a little over 4ozs from just my left breast)... was that a clogged duct?

AND.... Is there any really good trick to help this engorgement on one side or is it really a wait it out thing? It's only my left and it's awful. Within 30 minutes it's hard and painful again.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I have no idea.... but that sounds painful. Hope you feel better!!!
  3. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I have no idea.... but that sounds painful. Hope you feel better!!!
    It feels better for the moment ... but I know the engorgement is coming again and I'm dreading it
  4. Bex
    Banned
    Banned
    Take a hot shower or a hot bath and use compresses. It might have been a clogged duct... you have to be careful because if it's always hard and sore it could be the beginnings of mastitis...If you look under your breast is there a triangle red shaped mark or anything like that?
  5. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Bex View Post
    Take a hot shower or a hot bath and use compresses. It might have been a clogged duct... you have to be careful because if it's always hard and sore it could be the beginnings of mastitis...If you look under your breast is there a triangle red shaped mark or anything like that?
    No mark... and after I finally pumped it's not hard anymore.

What can I do if I am beginning to get an infection?
  6. Bex
    Banned
    Banned
    Nothing really.... I mean the doctor generally won't prescribe antibiotics unless you have a fever and the signs of mastitis. Just keep an eye on it. I recommend taking a hot shower or bath and hand expressing a tiny bit if you are engorged. Pumping leads to over production which leads to engorgement. Crappy vicious cycle. I know how that goes. LOL
  7. and still I think of you
    and still I think of you
    Blog Entries
    I second a hot bath. When I would get super engorged like that, the bath was the most wonderful thing. I couldnt handle a shower to start with cause I was too engorged and it hurt. I hope you are feeling better soon.
  8. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Bex View Post
    Nothing really.... I mean the doctor generally won't prescribe antibiotics unless you have a fever and the signs of mastitis. Just keep an eye on it. I recommend taking a hot shower or bath and hand expressing a tiny bit if you are engorged. Pumping leads to over production which leads to engorgement. Crappy vicious cycle. I know how that goes. LOL
    That's what I have been doing up until tonight I hope it gets better soon.

I was reading causes of it... and so far I've only been nursing in 1 position because any other is a struggle with him... now I need to make him nurse in others since it says that can be 1 of many things that'll lead to it.
  9. Bex
    Banned
    Banned
    Yea, I wasn't kidding when I said nursing is work. LOL

What position do you nurse in?
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    that happened to me at one point too and it scared me but i just nursed her consistently on that side more and it went away and i've been fine since
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast