Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: When a Monster Is Born

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

When a Monster Is Born

Advertisements
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/159...SIN=1596432543
    The above book was written by Sean Taylor. He was the Gold Medal Winner of the Nestlé Children's Book Prize, under 5 category. Sean declined the prize money, saying that he could not accept it because of his concerns over the marketing tactics used by Nestlé in their promotion of infant formula.
    British children's author Sean Taylor, winner of the Nestlé Children's Book Prize 2007, refused to accept a check as part of his recent award, presented in December. Taylor, who won the prize for his book When a Monster is Born, said that he could not accept the money because of his concerns over the marketing tactics used by Nestlé in their promotion of infant formula.

In an open letter explaining his decision, Taylor said that he was honored to have won the prize because it is awarded on the basis of children's votes, but he could not accept Nestlé's money because "their interpretation of the International Code of Marketing of Breast-milk Substitutes sets up the risk that profit is put before infant health." After examining their baby formula marketing practices, Taylor said, "I do not feel that Nestlé are the most appropriate sponsors for this major children's book prize."

A global marketing report recently released by the International Baby Food Action Network found that Nestlé is the leading violator of the International Code for the Marketing of Breast-Milk Substitutes.

Taylor made his decision after consulting with representatives from Nestlé, anti- Nestlé group Baby Milk Action, and an unnamed third party with "experience in the field."

For more information visit http://www.babymilkaction.org/press/press12dec07.html.
    I know I plan on getting a copy of his book
  2. Senior Member
    I didn't know any of that! Holy moly! Bad Nestle!

The book looks so cute! I might have to get a copy too.

I do have to say though, it seems odd that Nestle would focus on LEDC's due to the fact that the majority of people there are poor. Wouldn't it make more sense to focus on a more wealthy demographic?

2nd After discussing it with DH, he suggested that if the citizens of the country like the product so much it will be easier to put factories there and get work for cheap.
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by flowerchild View Post
    I didn't know any of that! Holy moly! Bad Nestle!

The book looks so cute! I might have to get a copy too.

I do have to say though, it seems odd that Nestle would focus on LEDC's due to the fact that the majority of people there are poor. Wouldn't it make more sense to focus on a more wealthy demographic?

2nd After discussing it with DH, he suggested that if the citizens of the country like the product so much it will be easier to put factories there and get work for cheap.
    The problem is in third world countries there is limited access to clean drinking water making formula a very unsafe option in many areas. The other major problem is that they only provide them with so much free/reduced price formula then once their milk has dried up and they have to pay full price many can not afford it and baby is either left with nothing to eat or is fed things such as rice water. Even if they put in a factory the people working their would be unable to afford the formula for themselves.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I also wanted to point out that the boycott is on all Nestle products EXCEPT their formula because those of us supporting the boycott understand that babies drinking formula often have to stick with a certain brand SO boycotting the formula would be counter productive. The message can be sent to Nestle by boycotting the many many other products they make/sell.